Contact us

When you were 12

LoveHate

I recently heard about this theory. Apparently people tend to have very fond memories of ESC the year when they were 12 years old. Either an all-time favorite song, or the whole show generally. My initial reaction was that this has to be nonsense, but I quickly realised my all-time favorite song is actually from the year I turned 12, and my second favorite is from the year before.

Does this rule apply, or did it just happen to be true in my case?

(If you were 12 in the early 00's and say no, it doesn't count. Those were some terribad years.)

EscGeek

Veteran
seems legit...this is my 2nd favorite esc song ever

and in years 2006-2009 i gradually bacame a hardcore fan i am todayxyes

Most people's childhoods revolved around Rihanna, Britney Spears and 50 cent, while i was into Verka :mrgreen:

CPV4931

I discovered Eurovision in the age of 12 (2006) and one of my favorite German songs and winners come from that year, so it´s true for me :-)

LastDreamer

Banned
In my 12 years (1995 year) I didn't know about Eurovision.

Eulaliya

I was twelve in 2008 and at that time didn't discover Eurovision yet, except one song. Probably one of the first ESC songs that really captured my attention was :pt: (Senhora do mar).

LoveHate

I obsessively watched/listened to VHS and C-cassette (!) recordings of ESC when I was 6-7, but it was probably around age 11-12 when I watched the whole thing live the first times. UK -97 and Croatia -96 are my all time favorites.

revallsay

Well, yes, I was 12 when I came across Eurovision for the first time, but it's a coincidence. In 2003 Poland was represented by Ich Troje and the band was huge back then. I can a fan #1. In our media it was a thing, everyone was speaking about it. And I think if it wasn't for Ich Troje, I wouldn't know about Eurovision back then. I woudl probably discover it later.Mamy 2004, but how knows.

Stiven

I was 12 in 2007 and I don't have a single favourite from that year and it remains as some of my least favourite years. So this rule doesn't apply tome since I became a Eurovision fan in 2009 when I decided to give Eurovision a second chance.

ScarlettGirl

I think I fully discovered the contest in 2007 and I was´t 12 then, but I loved Molitva and "Fight" from Moldova. She was so bad-ass in my eyes.
In 2009 when I was 12, my big favorites that year was Armenia, United Kingdom and Turkey. I also liked Moldova a lot :p

Brandt

I was 14 when I first watched Eurovision and became a fan. As for the year that I was actually 12, 2007, I don't have any particular big favourite or anything. So the theory is quite irrelevant personally for me.

Pawhlen

I became obsessed with ESC back in 2000, but the first one I actually Watched during broadcast was 2001. But when I was 12 years old, ESC had a real revamp with introduction of a semi-final 2004

burrito

As a teenager I wasn't interested in Eurovision yet, so back in 2007 I did not watch the contest. However, it's one of the only three or four years up to 2014 I can remember anything esc-related from, so maybe there's something true about that theory :lol: I remember Verka's song being a minor hit and I recall seeing her on music TV and singing sieben sieben ai lu lu all the time in school :D I also remember my friend being happy about Poland being represented by The Jet Set, who were kinda cool atm (although our entry later turned out to be a nightmare). Never heard a word about Molitva until I got interested in ESC tho.

Luki

I was 12 during 2005 and it is still my favorite Croatian entry to date. :D But I go back to that year almost every month, it was a great year, apart from the results. :D

midnightsun

Veteran
I was twelve in 1991, and wow, I have very vivid memories about this year especially because I was on vacation at my grandmas house and we watched the ESC together. She didn't like all the noise back then :) and I was so excited during the voting because Sweden was so much better than France and I couldn't understand why there was a tie... which never happened before or after, so a very special moment. Fangad av en stormwind is not my favourite ESC winner ever but it's in my top 10.

lavieenrose

Albania Superstar
I didn't know about Eurovision when I was 12 but will talk about Eurovision 2008 & my relationship to it because why the hell not.

:mk: was my favorite that year, and were I to rank my #1s from each year, it would be near the bottom. It's awesome but somewhat weak as my OMG HYPE songs go (and 30% of it is kind of awful?). It also NQed, one of a small handful of my #1s on a year to do so (:nl: in 2007 and 2 of my 3 co-#1s in 2016). But what 2008 lacks in depth it makes up for in breadth: there are quite a few songs I really enjoy, including :il:, :se:, :pt:, :fr:, :ba:, :am:, :sl:, :ie: (and what are you gonna do about it), :ua:, :ge: (best peace songing ever unless you count "1944"), :is:, :mt:, :al:, :az:...that's nothing to sneeze at.

It was a solid year but not an all-time great, I suppose. The Eurovision when I was 13, on the other hand...oh boy... xheat xheat xheat

9vv0i.gif

CC92

[...] my all-time favorite song is actually from the year I turned 12 [...]
Same (::cs 2004). :lol: And the contest in Kiev held when I woz actually twelve is still one of my favorite editions (results aside). I'm generally a big fan of the mid and late noughties contests.

NNR

Ffs. I was never 12 for a Eurovision final.

2014: 11
2015: 13

Stargazer

Mod of All Things
Staff member
I was 12 in 1996 and that is indeed one of my all-time favorite years, though not my number one favorite (which would be 1991). But to be honest, 1996 would be one of my most favorite years regardless of whether I was 12 or not, there were just SO many great songs that year. I have the most fondest memories of 1991, though.

DenizESC

Banned
1991 xheat gotta be my fave as well even though I was -7 yrs old...

I hated 2011 tbh which was when I was 12. 2010 on the other hand xlove

Top Bottom