WorldVision Mod
Staff member
zNJQaqH.png

The Queen of Scots is risen!

giphy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Huge thanks to :al: :is: and :cy: for voting! One song retains lead, with only one other really in contention still...

Deadline is 18th May @ 0800 CEST (so I can submit the entry before work!). A few little mentions to keep things exciting ;)

@lavieenrose @Eulaliya @ZoboCamel @Gera11 @RainyWoods and anyone else who fancies a listen xlove

RainyWoods

Croak-kay
I haven't properly started on the banners yet (have only been collecting photos so far) so after I've had dinner tonight I think it will be a good idea to powerhouse it through the NFs before things get too crazy for me (8 of them I counted so RIP my body). No The Man With The Golden Gun here through tut tut. Lulu is a nice lady. My mum met her once or twice through a close friend, and she said she was very down to earth and lovely.

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

ZoboCamel

Just had a listen through the four songs but it's not really my kind of music; I'd feel bad influencing the scores when I'm not sure the winner would get much from me anyway. Best of luck regardless though xheart

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Just had a listen through the four songs but it's not really my kind of music; I'd feel bad influencing the scores when I'm not sure the winner would get much from me anyway. Best of luck regardless though xheart
No worries at all! Thanks for having a listen anyway xup

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Thanks to all sixteen fabulous voters! We have a MUCH closer contest than I was anticipating and a winner by two points! :D Hope you enjoy the results xlove

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
WV124: Lulu "To Sir With Love"

After a ridiculous NF where "Relight My Fire" was winning for 15 voters then lost on the 16th and final voter, it is my pleasure to send Lulu with one of her classics hits to this WV edition! Thanks again to everyone who voted - it really was one of my more exciting NFs watching "Relight My Fire"'s early lead disintegrate towards the end! After 10 voters, it was ahead by 15 points... Such fun!

So yes, I have finally sent the incredible Lulu and I hope you enjoy her dulcet tones in the contest!

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
oh my relight my fire was much superior who was the 16th voter i wanna sue IOTAP

Given how close it was, I'm definitely not ruling out that going to WV at some point ;)

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Thanks to everyone who saw Lulu to 24th place in the final! :D I do promise that it will not be the last you see of her from me... ;)

For WV125, I have been doing a bit of hunting around and finally found something that just hit the spot when I first listened to it! My only clue is Buzz Buzz Yum Yum ;) Feel free to guess :p

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
WV125: Beecake - Blessed Eyes

So when I was first researching songs from around the UK, I realised a very annoying fact about Scotland insofar as a certain previous juror (whose username begins with a G and ends with an era11 :p ) had sent a number of entries I wanted to send! This included the sublime "Last Goodbye" by Billy Boyd. So I had a hunt around for something else that he'd done. After toying with the idea of sending his other Lord of the Rings song, I hit upon the idea of sending Mr. Boyd's group. This was the song that really stood out for me, so I hope that you enjoy it as much as I did :D

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
WV126: Annie Lennox - Requiem For A Private War
With Calvin, I sent Annie Lennox in her Eurythmics form just over 60 editions ago, so I thought it was about time I sent her again! As I have alluded to elsewhere, a previous Scottish juror has sent my all-time favourite Annie Lennox song, but I knew I wanted to send her as a solo artist from Scotland before I move on. I had a bit of a hunt around and found this. I think it's a simply stunning piece. It's not an easy listen by any means, but it absolutely showcases her vocal talents and is hauntingly beautiful. I hope you get as much out of it as I do :D

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Huge thanks to everyone who supported Annie to the final of WV! Seems we just scraped through the semi (and the final), so a lucky qualification, but absolutely no complaints - it was a joy to see her in the final xlove

For next edition, hmm, no idea what to send in truth!! I'll have to do some thinking...

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
I've been inspired... Quanti canicula ille in fenestra? ;)

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
WV127: Scottish Symphony Orchestra - "We Can Rule You Wholesale"

I have to thank my father for this as I didn't even know it existed until Friday :lol: I am a colossal fan of the late Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld series (and am currently re-reading it for the umpteenth time) and so is my father. Whilst he was up to see me last week, the conversation happened to go in the direction of national anthems and he asked if I knew about Ankh-Morpork's national anthem. I did not and he showed me it! For those of you who are less aware of the Discword, Ankh-Morpork is the main city mentioned in the books and it prides itself on its fiscal prowess, as opposed to its military might! The lyrics of the national anthem reflect this approach...

"When dragons belch and hippos flee
My thoughts, Ankh-Morpork, are of thee
Let others boast of martial dash
For we have boldly fought with cash
We own all your helmets, we own all your shoes
We own all your generals - touch us and you'll lose.

Morporkia! Morporkia!
Morporkia owns the day!
We can rule you wholesale
Touch us and you'll pay.

We bankrupt all invaders, we sell them souvenirs
We ner ner ner ner ner, hner ner hner by the ears
Er hner we ner ner ner ner ner
Ner ner her ner ner ner hner the ner
Er ner ner hner ner, nher hner ner ner (etc.)
Ner hner ner, your gleaming swords
We mortgaged to the hilt

Morporkia! Morporkia!
Hner ner ner ner ner ner
We can rule you wholesale
Credit where it's due."

You will also note the fact that there are very few lyrics for the second verse - this is because it operates on the principle that almost no one knows the lyrics for the second verses of national anthems, so what's the point of writing them :p A brilliant approach in my opinion! Hope you enjoy this jolly little ditty xlove

P.S. The 'clue' means "How Much Is That Little Doggie In The Window?" - another sign of the Morporkian viewpoint of the world!

Top Bottom