15 8.5%

22 12.4%

19 10.7%

33 18.6%

52 29.4%

• Total voters

JonnyWest

Re: ICELAND 2018

^ The songs were leaked in both versions - Icelandic & English so I have no idea about the final list.
Has RUV released the official list already?

Apparently only one song doesn't have an english version so I suppose that if it qualifies to the final it will be the only song in icelandic. It's Heimilistónar - ''Kúst og fæjó''

AlekS

Veteran

Judging from the preview show they will use all the Icelandic versions for the NF. And most def the English version will go to Lisbon.

tvfan

I think in Iceland, the Icelandic versions have to be performed in the semi-finals, but for the final, the language choice is free.

By the way, the official link to listen to the songs : http://www.ruv.is/songvakeppnin

Mrm

Veteran

[MENTION=9441]RainyWoods[/MENTION]

Please listen to "Battleline"!! xlove xheart

http://www.ruv.is/lag/battleline

These happy ppl look way too AMAZING! :)

This is such a delicious cheese!

these lyrics give me goosebumps! xfaint

Everybody wants someone to love them
Everybody needs a hand to hold, don’t you know

We can make it happen if we hold on
Victory has never been so close

I’ll be your defence, a chance to get it right

I’ve been fighting, fighting for us tonight
Can’t you see it
I’ve been fi – fi - fighting for what’s inside
Can you hear it calling?
Everybody up, everybody up
‘Cause we’re fighting for love
We’re fighting for love tonight
On the battleline

We’re not gonna lie down in the rubble
What’s the point in giving up so soon, don’t let go

This is too good to be true! xheat

DaFlo

Banned

Aaaaaaaand another meh National Final. What's wrong this year ..
Guess my fav is Hér með þér / Here for you. Pretty chill tune, but not really competitive.

EscGeek

Veteran

wow, that's a pretty decent icelandinc selection for a change:D

Aron Hannes with "Golddigger" HAS to WIN! The best Söngvakeppnin song since Pollaponk!
Simply amazing! xheya xdance xmusic

good alternatives:

Áttan "Hér með þér" ("Here for You")
Stefania, Agnes & Regína "Svaka stuð" ("Heart Attack")

Schlagerman1

What the hell Iceland? Seriously!? Almost all songs sounds like they are written in the 90s, and at least four are pretentious, badly written, hopeless peace songs that makes me wanna go find a bucket to throw up in! xpuke
Not much to choose from. "Gold Digger" is pretty fun, but don't we have many cute guys singing pop-funk songs now in selections? This might be the weakest in genre so far. "Here For Your" has two great singers, but the song doesn't have a chorus and just doesn't stick. I guess I have to say that "Battleline" is the best in the bunch, memorable chorus, pretty old-fashioned, the lyrics are pretentious shit basically, but I remember it. Though Iceland missing the final a third time in a row...well I can totally see it. :(

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

I've got to agree with DaFlo. I don't know what's happening with all these National Finals this year. What's with all the really cheap sounding pop funk as well in almost every NF?

My favourite from these is quite easily "Svaka stuð (Heart Attack)". Only one that interests me a little bit from a composition point of view.

Iceland's version of Steps are kind of bless. I feel like they're 8 years late with this though, but I find "Battleline" likeable at least.

"Kúst og fæjó" is ok, but it's production is far too clean for me. I wouldn't choose to listen to this when I could just put on a Shannon and the Clams record. Maybe this song will come across stronger live. I do like vintage throwback stuff so this should be something that appeals to me more than it is doing so at the moment.

"Í stormi" is rather tolerable in Icelandic. It's ok for a dramatic pop rock ballad, and his voice is strong.

Meeeh though selection overall. I'm not excited for anything. I know we only have one entry selected so far, and this is such a cliche Eurovision fan thing to say when the season is in very early stages, but I have a bad feeling about this years contest. There's hardly anything I like. The few songs I do appreciate have low chances of winning, and the internal artist choices don't interest me (besides Georgia). Save me San Marino.

Sammy

Veteran

I'm quite underwhelmed by this line-up. There are a few nice slow simple songs that I find pleasant, but none of them really impressed me... Let's see if that changes after a few listenings. For now... rather unspectacular.

Kairit

Hmm... Definetly better if you just ignore the English versions.

1. Þórir Geir Guðmundsson, Gyða Margrét Kristjánsdóttir – Brosa/With You ... This is exactly the kind of song I listen to Söngvakeppnin for. Warm songs with voices like honey :mrgreen: Works for me. xheart
2.Dagur Sigurðarson – Í stormi/Saviour ... Wow. Amazing voice. Strong entry. This actually feels refreshing (despite being a ballad, with these lyrics, that i'm trying to mostly ignore). But yes, I'd send this one and I think it has the best chance to do well. The production has a professionally epic quality and he'll elevate it a lot with his voice.
3. Heimilistónar - Kúst og fæjó ... Yes.
4. Þórunn Antonía – Ég mun skína/Shine ... The chorus is disappointing, they should've made it faster, but it's a decent song imo. And the little production nuances, plus the instrumental part at the chorus - love it. Even if I don't want to hear a song titled as "Shine" at Eurovision ever again. The English lyrics leave a lot of these songs down.
5. Ari Ólafsson – Heim/Our Choice ... The chorus coming in strong was... unexpected :lol: But it works in the midst of all these songs and brings in necessary energy. I like the production, and the note he does at one point is impressive. But god, again, the lyrics are way too cringe if they'll go with the English version ... As I have a feeling it'll win.
6. Fókus hópurinn – Aldrei gefast upp/Battleline ... Very Eurovision, yet exactly the kind I don't like. But it's the first time where the English version is much better and I can feel it growing on me. This definetly stands out.
7. Áttan – Hér með þér/Here for you ... Not feeling it as much as others are, feels cold and empty, but I guess it is the most modern one. Amazing as background music tbh.
8. Stefanía Svavarsdottir, Agnes Marinósdóttir, Regína Lilja Magnúsdóttir – Svaka stuð/Heart Attack ... I find it quite terrible and enjoyable at the same time.
9. Tómas Helgi Wehmeier, Sólborg Guðbrandsdóttir – Ég og þú/Think It Through ... The Icelandic version gives it quite a bit of flavour, but it doesn't really work in English and in the end there's not that much there. I do feel like I should like it, but it's a bit too standard and slow that it feels dire. Along with their voices just being... boring.
10. Aron Hannes – Golddigger/Gold Digger ... :/ I don't know if it's better or worse from last year, but it's definetly very 90s pop haha. I'll give it some pity points. It's fun... a little.
11. Rakel Pálsdóttir – Óskin mín/My Wish ... Okay well, I usually like these soft Icelandic Söngvakeppnin lullabies LOL, but this is just... too offputtingly Disney lullaby...ish.
12. Guðmundur Þórarinsson – Litir/Colours ... Tbh I forgot it was on when I was listening to these songs. He sings with no emotion???? Everything about this sounds emotionless. Really ironic, considering the lyrics.

Halldor

Honestly, as an Icelander, what a crap fest this year, I hope Kúst og fæjó wins just cause it doesn’t take itself seriously

Mrm

Veteran

Fókus hópurinn – "Aldrei gefast upp/Battleline" reminds me of The Netherlands last year, if they nail it live on the stage and make good vocal harmony it can be very good.. :)

EscGeek

Veteran

i've noticed a lot of pop funk/old school music this year too.. except i'm a fan and i can't complain xheya xmusic

Mrm

Veteran

I also like very much - Heimilistónar - Kúst og fæjó, it's retro style, country in Icelandic language with mouth accordion... xlove xheart

Realest

No Final for :is: this year

QwaarJet

ESC Moderator

Shockingly bad selection. Nothing in it can get Iceland to the final. I'm beginning to worry about this year. Nothing has wowed me yet. I guess my favourite in this NF is "i stormi", but I think Aron Hannes will likely take it.

ShoeFlo

What the hell Iceland? Seriously!? Almost all songs sounds like they are written in the 90s, and at least four are pretentious, badly written, hopeless peace songs that makes me wanna go find a bucket to throw up in! xpuke
Not much to choose from. "Gold Digger" is pretty fun, but don't we have many cute guys singing pop-funk songs now in selections? This might be the weakest in genre so far. "Here For Your" has two great singers, but the song doesn't have a chorus and just doesn't stick. I guess I have to say that "Battleline" is the best in the bunch, memorable chorus, pretty old-fashioned, the lyrics are pretentious shit basically, but I remember it. Though Iceland missing the final a third time in a row...well I can totally see it. :(

It would be the fourth time in a row. After Maria Olafs, Greta and Svala

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

After reading the comments and looking at the line-up I dont even feel like listening to the songs xfacepalm

I think "Í stormi" is something you'd find passable at least (only in Icelandic though as the English lyrics are dodgy). It's a shame as Iceland is a special place, but these songs have none of the magic we know this country is capable of.

Top Bottom