Contact us

Eurovision Young Musicians 2024

EDC0708

EYM 2024 will take place on 17th August 2024 in Bodø, Norway. It is the 21st edition of the contest.
Taking part this time are:
:am: Armenia
:at: Austria
:be: Belgium
:cz: Czechia
:fr: France
:de: Germany
:no: Norway (Host)
:pl: Poland
:rs: Serbia
:se: Sweden
:ch: Switzerland

AlekS

Veteran
The host's earring is too close to her mic.
Only 11 countries compete and all 4 jurors represent participating countries. Okay. :lol:

:no: - good technics, but it felt a little bit muffled & boring. Is it me or he kinda messed up with sustain pedal or this is his style of playing? The orchestra outplayed him, imo. But he started showing personality through his performing at the end.
:ch: - I liked him playing The Code in the intro xlove Kudos for bringing euphonium. Awesome charisma, rock that classical environment with your black nail polish, gwOrl xheart But damn, that piece was boring at the beginning. It improved after rest but it still didn't match his personality, imo.
:be: - she's only 13 years old. She seemed very nervous (duh!) though it didn't influence her performance at all. Mendelssohn is a lil' bit too adult choice for her, but she played it in her own way and it was awesome. The way she mumbled words/notes under her breath distracted attention from her performance.

:at: - Very old-school xsleep

:am: - My fave so far (y) More justice for oboe! He made me interested & invested. Everything was on point and in right "dosage".

:fr: - The best piano player so far. Quite challenging piece if you talk about tempo and he sounded like one whole with the orchestra (y) Such a drastic difference between his personality and style of playing. I totally disagree with Norwegian juror.

:se: - I loooved his facial expressions, he really enjoys the process. He's a cute inexperienced twink and I'm into more mature understanding, but I like that he & his dad chose Haydn, it really suits him. He's my #2 as of now.

:pl: - well, Poland as always... At the beginnig his style reminded me a dorky Soviet guy from the 40's-50's. But thankfully it evolved into a decent performance. The sound is inconsistent and all over the place (I also blame it on the piece), but he gathered himself by the end. Imo, his personality doesn't match certain Italian music.

:rs: - I dunno how, but I guessed that he's from Serbia with my eyes closed. Visually he reminds Baby Lasagna, lol. Too academic for my taste, but his looks was a nice compensation. I wish he could hit the keys even harder, his touch was a little bit soft for Rachmaninoff, but he was almost there.

:de: - what an interesting choise. Flute and tango o_0. This particular piece is famous in ex-USSR thanks to a movie. He sounded raw at some places but this is his style, I wish it sounded more "flowy".

:cz: - speaking of "too academic". He sounds like experienced trained performer, probably the most impressive alongside with Armenia. But I'm here for charisma and interaction with the orchestra and audience and he lacked in this department.

I don't feel the jury tonight, so here's my personal top 3: :am::se::cz: I suspect they want Sweden to win.

Last edited:

AlekS

Veteran
The top 3:
1. :at:
2. :se:
3. :de:

nanie-so-done.gif

My least fave performance won :cool:
Good job everyone tho. It was a nice concert, I felt entertained xxclap

EDC0708

Great analysis AlexS, I agree it was strange having the jury be from participating countries, should have either been 11, one from each country, or a completely neutral group.
All the performers did so well, a great evening all round, thought the presenters did a great job as well.

Sammy

Veteran
I could only watch it tonight, so here are my impressions.

:no:Sebastian Egebakken Svenøy - Piano Concerto #5 / 3rd movement by Camille Saint-Saëns
Very good technique. I like the phrasing and also the dynamics. I would have expected the middle part to be just a little bit slower, but all in all it was a very good start.

:ch: Valerian Alfaré - Concerto for Euphonium by Paul Mealor
Interesting to hear a concerto for euphonium. Musically this is a bit too pleasing for me. It took me a while to get connected to it. But the guy is a great performer. The last minute or so convinced me the most.

:be: Mahault Ska - Concerto for piano g-minor, 1st movement by Felix Mendelssohn-Bartholdy
Well played especially considering her age, but you felt her nervousness. So the performance was technically good, but a bit sterile. The phrasing was clearly less elaborated than from the norwegian guy.

:at: Leonhard Baumgartner - Concerto for violin a-minor 1. movement by Henri Vieuxtemps
Very good choice if piece. His technique is absolutely amazing, the tone is wonderful, the intonation flawless and the phrasing very
very good. It‘s of course a piece for showcasing virtuosity, but one has also to master that - which he does in perfection. Couldn‘t agree more with the judge here. Goosbumps also on my skin.

:am: Hayk Hekekyan - Concerto for oboe #1 in d-minor, 1st movement by Ludwig August Lebrun
Here‘s the opposite. Not the most clever choice of piece for a competition. If you want to show your technical and musical abilities, I would have gone for baroque rather: Bach or Vivaldi would have given him much more opportunities. Also there were a few minor insecurities at the triplets at the end of the first third - and with classical pieces you hear it instantly. Solid overall.

:fr: Pierre-Emmanuel Hurpeau - Concerto for piano G-major 3rd movement by Maurice Ravel
No doubt - the technique is great, but I find him a bit overdramatic. As if he‘s playing the role of a concerto pianist instead of just being one, if that makes sense. I‘d like to have a bit more of connection with the orchestra.

:se: Hugo Svedberg - Concerto for cello #1 in d-major. 1st movement by Joseph Haydn
In terms of musicality and interpretation, he is the best so far. He conveys so much emotion! And he‘s also a very virtuous player. I like his tone - so rich and broad. Fantastic phrasing and the intonation is also flawless. I think this is my number one.

:pl: Jeremi Tabęcki - Phantasy on motives from Rigoletto by Luigi Bassi
Another solid performance, showing his abilities, but it lacks the wow-factor for me. This is one of the classic „encores“ so it feels a bit boring.

:rs: Bogdan Dugalić - Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini by Sergej Rachmaninov
Very well played! What a great performer with such an elaborated technique. It‘s really difficult to differentiate tonights pianists.

:de: Fabian Egger - Tangophantasy for flute and orchestra by Jacob Gade & Toke Lund Christiansen
Interesting choice of piece. The flute is not my favorite solo instrument, it‘s difficult to keep a clear tone when going fast but he does a very good job. I also like his interpretation but the more it gets virtuous, the more he becomes a little bit less nuanced.

:cz: Adam Znamirovsky - Concerto for piano #2, 3rd movement by Camille Saint-Saëns
It‘s unfortunate that there are so many pianists this year, and that he‘s last. He‘s also a very skilled performer and his technique is impressive. Regarding the musicality he‘s not on the level of Serbia and Norway and also the tone is a bit dry at times.

My ranking would have been
1. :se:
2. :at:
3. :rs:
4. :no:
5. :de:
6. :pl:
7. :cz:
8. :fr:
9. :ch:
10. :am:
11. :be:

Very high level of quality this year! I really enjoyed the whole event. Even those who are lower in my ranking are amazing musicians and represented very well their country.

Last edited:
Top Bottom