Contact us

Canada 🍁WV 190: Patrick Watson - Better in the Shade

esc87fan

xCAi0i2.png

Team Canada Info
Current Juror: esc87fan (WV46-WV85, WV93-)
Best Finish: 1st place, WV 146, WV 167
Hostings: WV 61 Toronto, WV 137 Vancouver, WV 147 St. John's, WV 168 Winnipeg

hQl6LCv.png

Last edited:

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: CANADA - WV70

Dearest Duchess, it saddens me so much to find you in such a rut given the high quality of music you've been sending. If you're sending a returning artist, for me there is but one choice. Alanis Morissette. She has such a great variety of music and I really think she could be the solution for you with the right song. Whatever you do do, I hope you find the strength to stay with us and keep sending great songs. Know that whatever your overall result is, you've still got support and love from your friends and whether you win or come last, I'm never going to stop thanking you for sending the songs you've sent Steph xlove

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

My sincerest apologies! It had totally slipped my mind (first time was back in my first edition of OP voting). No, 'tis understandable you wouldn't want to send her a third time in twenty editions. I fear I don't know many Canadian artists, but if you want a surefire flop, I can offer you this...

My Québecois French assistant introduced my French class to it. It's hilarious. It would flop terribly here ofc, but oh what fun to see it at WV!

Lupus

Piece of Wonk

This sounds great! :eek:

And don't be so sure it would flop

XD I am sure; who on earth would vote for it?! It's a load of daft Québecois singing incoherently. Most French people would struggle to understand it :p

JamieBrown

I have some ideas for you here. Not all of them might help, or only does if they have luck in the draw, but anyway: My biggest suggestion is to stop focusing too much on results. Getting last twice in a row is nonetheless awkward, but it helps to get over bad results if you just care for yourself and not want to get liked by others. But I initially wanted to post some suggestions so:

I hope I might help you with this, I'm sure you don't like everything here and maybe something has been sent to WV already (sorry if that happened), but I tried it anyway, just to cheer you up and see that some care. And I just left out the most obvious artists. Iirc Neil Young also has to show up with his most popular song. Or Bryan Adams?

theCONWEL

WorldVision Mod
Staff member

My little suggestion for you, Adaline - my favourite Canadian artist :)

And also these two:

I can't remember whether I've suggested these before, but oh well xcookie

esc87fan

Change of plans for WV70!

I will be breaking tradition and will NOT be sending a returnee for next edition. If some of you remember the song I sent for WV54, it was a special song because of what it meant for me. So a special edition like my 25th as Canadian juror calls for an extremely special song, and the one I have in mind is it. I can't wait to share it with you!

esc87fan

Re: CANADA - WV70 SF3 #15: Nikki Yanofsky - I Believe

WORLDVISION 70 GÖTEBORG :ca::se:

Nikki Yanofsky - I Believe

For my 25th entry as Canadian juror, here's another song that gives me so much pride as a Canadian and still tears me up every time I hear it.

Montreal-based Nikki has been well known recently for her jazz vocals. However, it was in 2010 at the age of 16 that she became an overnight star when she was chosen to perform the English version of this song, which was the anthem for CTV's coverage of the 2010 Winter Olympics in Vancouver and the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. It shot to the top of the Canadian Hot 100 before the end of the Vancouver Games and went 5 times platinum in Canada alone.

The song was co-written by Stephan Moccio and Glass Tiger frontman Alan Frew. Annie Villeneuve and Serena Ryder recorded French and Spanish-language versions called "J'imagine" and "Me Creer"

Video

Lyrics

There comes a moment when my heart must stand alone
On this lonely path I've chosen
Like a house that's not a home

Sometimes when I feel I've had enough
And I feel like giving up
You willed me to be all I can be
Now nothing can stop me

I believe in the power that comes
From a world brought together as one
I believe together we'll fly
I believe in the power of you and I

This is the moment we have dreamed of all our lives
We'll be the change we wish from others
We'll stand tall for what is right
And in my heart there'll be no doubt
The arms of the world will come reaching out
And embrace me to be all I can be
Now nothing can stop me

I believe the time is right now
To stand tall and make the world proud

I believe, I believe, I believe in
I believe, I believe in you
I believe, I believe, I believe in
I believe, I believe in you
I believe, I believe, I believe in you

To stand tall and make the world proud
I believe in the power

(Of you and I)

(Power)

(Of you and I)
Stand tall and make the world proud

I believe together well fly
(Together we'll fly)

theCONWEL

WorldVision Mod
Staff member
Re: CANADA - WV70 SF3 #15: Nikki Yanofsky - I Believe

Yesssssss I love Nikki so much xlove Not my favourite song of hers' (Necessary Evil and Something New xheat ) but I still really enjoy it and I can see why it's special to you xlove

Lupus

Piece of Wonk
Re: CANADA - WV71

I don't know what to say, so I think maybe the best thing is to just leave a box of tissues, a box of chocolates, some flowers and a heck of a lot of booze... xcry1

It breaks my heart to see you not make it this time. xcry1 Such a seriously gorgeous song too. You've given so much to this contest and regardless of your result, I for one am overjoyed that you participate and send such great music. Something will click. Something will change. Don't give up hope Duchess and I sincerely hope that you break the curse next edition. You deserve it. xrose

Your Friend in London

esc87fan

If there's any consolation, at least I didn't finish last again! Though it does hurt that I sent such a deeply personal, emotional song I put my heart and soul as a Canadian into sending and it fails to qualify at the expense of other songs that are really not my taste.

I'm not sure what to do next, but one way or another I'm going to break this curse

Dutchball

Well, hi. I'm heartbroken at this non-qualification. I'm a sucker for ballads and Nikki's song was just so beautiful. This was my favorite of the entire edition, and it would have been my definite :12: in the final if it had passed, although I was concerned about that happening... Sadly, it turned out I was rightfully worried. I don't know what else to say, I just loved this. Best of luck in WV71 - hope you send something just as good! xhug xrose x12s

RainyWoods

Croak-kay

I'm so sorry this one didn't work out for you Steph. I was really rooting for Canada this edition, knowing the deep connection you had with your song. It makes me realize how lucky i've been. Playing with your heart is the biggest risk. It hurt extremely bad when I failed with Elliott Smith who's an artist that goes very deep with me, but he was the only one I felt such pain with. I could strangely cope with Bowie really well. I can't imagine how you must be feeling. Anyway, it seems you've got the right spirit. I believe you when you say you're going to break the curse. COME ON!

esc87fan

Re: CANADA - WV71 SF2 #17: Purity Ring - Begin Again

WORLDVISION 71 PARIS :ca:::iled

Purity Ring - Begin Again

Video

Lyrics

Begin Again
Begin Again
Begin Again

I've been watching your kindness keep
A lonely company
Look at the fire and think of me
I've been watching you creep
Around my wandering feet
Trying for years to flee

I need not one thing more
O wrap the ground around
Your gentle winding mind
O guard the pounding sound
Breathe in your fiery air
O wrap the ground around
Give back an hungrier stare

You be the moon I'll be the earth
And when we burst
Start over o darling
Begin again
Begin again
Begin again [x2]

My moon o my moon
Not even into
Another eternity
Will you stop your lovely orbiting
I had held it a world away
Until my body 'gan to say

I need not one thing more
O wrap the ground around
Your gentle winding mind
Breathe in your fiery air
O wrap the ground around
Give back an hungrier stare

You be the moon I'll be the earth
And when we burst
Start over o darling
Begin again
Begin again
Begin again [x2]

Eulaliya

I love this entry, especially the dark historical vibe!xheart Good luck and may you break this cursed NQ streak!xcheer

esc87fan

FINALLY! After a few close calls and some devastating last-place finishes in the semi, Canada is back in the final! Your support means so much, thank you for continuing to believe in me!

Top Bottom