There’s always one weekend in the Eurovision calendar that promises to deliver, and that special weekend is upon us – it’s Super Saturday 2019!
And this year, it’s a whopper. No less than eleven selection shows are taking place across Europe to make it the busiest night by far of this year’s selection calendar. Tonight sees the return of a long-absent selection, finals in four countries and a hectic night for Eurovision fans!
So let’s jump into it. What’s in store for us this evening?
CROATIA – Dora Final (20:05 CET)
Dora returns as the Croatian selection method for Eurovision for the first time since Daria Kinzer won in 2011, with a massive sixteen acts taking part in the third and final evening of the competition’s programming this week. A combination of regional juries and televoting will decide the winner of the competition, with juries representing the Croatian regions of Zagreb, Vukovar, Čakovec and Varaždin, Rijeka, Pula, Osijek, Zadar, Knin and Šibenik, Split and Dubrovnik.
The sixteen acts in Dora 2019 are;
- Bojan Jambrošić & Danijela Pintarić – Vrijeme predaje
- Jelena Bosančić – Tell Me
- Kim Verson – Nisam to što žele
- Jure Brkljača – Ne postojim kad nisi tu
- Beta Sudar – Don’t Give Up
- Lea Mijatović – Tebi pripadam
- Gelato Sisters – Back to the Swing
- Luka Nižetić – Brutalero
- Elis Lovrić – All I Really Want
- Domenica – Indigo
- Roko Blažević – The Dream
- Ema Gagro – Redemption
- Lidija Bačić – Tek je počelo
- Lorena Bućan – Tower of Babylon
- Bernarda Bruno – I Believe in True Love
- Manntra – In The Shadows
ESTONIA – Eesti Laul Final (18:00 CET)
Estonia’s popular selection Eesti Laul draws to a close this evening, with twelve acts taking to the stage in the Saku Suurhall, the venue of the 2002 Eurovision Song Contest in Tallinn. Among the acts are Stefan, returning from performing in Vajé last year, and Tanja and Birgit who represented Estonia in 2014 and 2013 respectively. Sissi, taking part for the first time, is the daughter of Estonia’s 2001 champion Dave Benton, and Victor Crone’s entry includes Stig Rästa in its credits.
The twelve acts are;
- Sissi – Strong
- Lumevärv ft. Inga – Milline päev
- Victor Crone – Storm
- Kerli Kivilaan – Cold Love
- xtra basic & Emily J – Hold Me Close
- Kadiah – Believe
- Synne Valtri – I’ll Do It My Way
- Stefan – Without You
- The Swingers, Tanja & Birgit – High Heels in the Neighbourhood
- Uku Suviste – Pretty Little Liar
- Inger – Coming Home
- Sandra Nurmsalu – Soovide puu
A combination of jury and televoting will decide the Estonian representative for Tel Aviv.
GEORGIA – Sakartvelos Varsk’vlavi Show 7 (19:00 CET)
Georgian Idol continues this week with just six acts remaining in the competition and the pressure hotting up. They are;
- Giorgi Nakashidze
- Giorgi Pruidze
- Liza Kalandadze
- Nini Tsnobiladze
- Oto Nemsadze
- Tamar Lachkhepiani
At least one more act is expected to be eliminated from the show this weekend, with just two live shows to go until the final on March 2nd.
HUNGARY – A Dal Semi-Final 2 (19:30 CET)
The last qualification stage of A Dal 2019 will take place tonight with the second semi-final. Nine acts will battle it out for just four places in next weekend’s final, joining Acoustic Planet, Petruska, Bence Vavra and The Middletonz. 2017 participant Joci Pápai will be taking part in tonight’s show, as well as Fatal Error, the band championed by last year’s representatives AWS.
- Timi Antal ft. Gergő Demko – Kedves Világ!
- Fatal Error – Kulcs
- Mocsok 1 Kölykök – Egyszer
- Nomad – A remény hídjai
- Gergő Oláh – Hozzád bújnék
- Joci Pápai – Az én apám
- Bogi Nagy – Holnap
- Ruby Harlem – Forró
- Gergő Szekér – Madár, repülj!
Three acts will immediately qualify thanks to the jury and televote, with the final qualifier making it through based on public votes alone.
ICELAND – Söngvakeppnins Semi-Final 2 (20:45 CET)
The second semi-final of Söngvakeppnins in Iceland will be held tonight, with two of the five acts joining Hatari and Hera Björk in the final on March 2nd. A notable returnee is Friðrik Ómar, who performed as one half of Eurobandið in Belgrade in 2008, achieving 14th place.
- Elli Grill, Skaði, Glymur – Jeijó, keyrum alla leið
- Ívar Daníels – Þú bætir mig
- Heiðrún Anna Björnsdóttir – Helgi
- Tara Mobee – Betri án þín
- Friðrik Ómar – Hvað ef ég get ekki elskað?
A combination of jury and televoting will decide the two qualifiers.
LATVIA – Supernova Final (20:25 CET)
Latvia’s selection will culminate tonight with the final of Supernova 2019. The competition has had mixed success so far; two qualifications including a 6th place finish, followed by two non-qualifications including a last-place finish. Which way will Latvia’s pendulum swing this year? We might have a clue after tonight’s show!
The eight acts who have reached the final are;
- Markus Riva – You Make Me So Crazy
- Edgars Kreilis – Cherry Absinthe
- Aivo Oskis – Somebody’s Got My Lover
- Double Faced Eels – Fire
- Dziļi Violets ft. Kozmens – Tautasdziesma
- Laime Pilnīga – Awe
- Samanta Tīna – Cutting the Wire
- Carousel – That Night
Supernova fans will recognise three names in particular, and one other person; Markus Riva, Edgars Kreilis and Samanta Tīna are perennial Latvian selection entrants, whereas Kozmens is the man behind the popular Riga Beaver character that charmed international audiences through the first few years of Supernova.
A combination of jury and televoting will decide the winner of Supernova 2019 and the Latvian representative for Tel Aviv.
LITHUANIA – Eurovizijos Atranka Semi-Final 2 (20:30 CET)
Lithuania’s lengthy selection with the similarly lengthy title, „Eurovizijos“ dainų konkurso nacionalinė atranka, continues tonight with the second semi-final stage. Four of the acts will be chosen to qualify for next weekend’s final following a combination of jury voting and televoting. Tonight’s twelve acts are;
- Šarūnas Mačiūlis – Traukinys
- Aldegunda – I Want Your Love
- Jurgis DID & Erica Jennings – Sing!
- Original Copy – Power of Sounds
- Paola Hart – I’ll Be Alright
- Antikvariniai Kašpirovskio Dantys – Mažulė
- MaNNazz – Blind Bird
- Jurijus – Run with the Lions
- Soliaris & Foreign Souls – Song of My Life
- Živilė Gedvilaitė – Learn from Your Love
- Alen Chicco – Your Cure
- Monika Marija – Criminal
Yesterday, Monika Marija posted a video on her social media urging fans not to vote for “Criminal”, as she wished to perform in the final with “Light On”.
PORTUGAL – Festival da Canção Semi-Final 1 (22:00 CET)
Portugal will be hoping to bounce back from their last place finish in Lisbon in 2018 and hopefully make it three consecutive finals for the Iberian nation, which would be the first such instance of this happening since 2008-2010. Eight acts will take part in tonight’s first semi-final of Festival da Canção;
- Ana Cláudia – Inércia
- João Campos – É o que é
- Soraia Tavares – O meu sonho
- Calema – A dois
- Conan Osíris – Telemóveis
- Ela Limão – Mais brilhante que mil sóis
- Filipe Keil – Hoje
- Matay – Perfeito
A combination of jury and televoting will decide which four acts proceed to the final of the contest on March 2nd.
SLOVENIA – EMA Final (20:00 CET)
Slovenia’s perennial selection EMA (Evrovizijska Melodija) returns for its sixth consecutive year, albeit this time without a semi-final stage. Instead, ten acts will battle in a straight race for the Slovenian ticket to Tel Aviv, with the two acts with the most votes going head-to-head in the superfinal before a winner is crowned.
The ten acts are;
- Kim – Rhythm Back to You
- Renata Mohorič – Three Bridges
- René – Ne poveš
- Fed Horses – Ti ne poznaš konjev
- Ula Ložar – Fridays
- Lumberjack – Lepotne dna
- Okustični – Metulji plešejo
- INMATE – Atma
- Zala Kralj & Gašper Šantl – Sebi
- Raiven – Kaos
Most notable names are Raiven, who has previously participated in EMA twice, and Ula Ložar who represented Slovenia in the Junior Eurovision Song Contest in 2014.
SWEDEN – Melodifestivalen Semi-Final 3 (20:00 CET)
Melodifestivalen rumbles on as the show heads to Leksand in Dalarna, Central Sweden. Familiar names such as Dolly Style, Jon Henrik Fjällgren and 2005 representative Martin Stenmarck are taking place in this semi-final, with two songs automatically reaching the final and third and fourth heading to andra chansen, as usual.
Tonight’s eight performers are as follows;
- The Lovers of Valdaro – Somebody Wants
- Dolly Style – Habibi
- Martin Stenmarck – Låt skiten brinna
- Lina Hedlund – Victorious
- Omar – Om om och om igen
- Rebecka Karlsson – Who I Am
- Jon Henrik Fjällgren – Norrsken
UKRAINE – Vidbir Semi-Final 2 (18:00 CET)
Vidbir 2019 continues tonight with the final eight songs to be presented. Among the participants this evening are Kazka, who participated in Vidbir last year with “Dyva” and went on to score one of the biggest hits in Ukraine for 2018 with their track “Plakala”.
Three of tonight’s acts will join Brunettes Shoot Blondes, Maruv and Yuko in next weekend’s final show, as decided by a combination of jury and televote.
The eight acts taking part tonight are;
- Ivan Navi – All for the Love
- Anna Maria – My Road
- Kazka – Apart
- Kira Mazur – Dykhaty
- Laud – 2 dni
- Khayat – Ever
- Braii – Maybe
- Freedom Jazz – Cupidon
Which show will #YOU be watching tonight? Let us know in the comments, on our forum HERE or on social media!