Contact us

Estonia and Latvia recommendations

MopManMoss

Veteran
I love you all please suggest recommendations for Riga and tallin as I am there next week thanks love you

HarryUK

Super Moderator
Staff member
It would depend how long you are in Tallinn for, but you can get a ferry to Helsinki from there - maybe expand your trip a little!

Alevender

Administrator
Staff member
Nice of you to be visiting us. Latvia is full of hidden treasures – lots of spectacular places to see. It all depends on your schedule, if you got time for that as well, then feel free to ask me for some recommendations outside Riga – it does not take long to get somewhere by bus or train, Latvia is a tiny country after all.
In Riga I would definitely recommend you to visit the Museum of the Occupation of Latvia and the KGB building. 10/10, especially if you are interested in history and politics from 1939 to 1991.
The old city where the museum is located is sort of nice as well, lots of historical buildings that are quite appealing and many small cafeterias and restaurants around.
But like I said, the real beauty and vibe of Latvia is to be found outside Riga.

Mainshow

Veteran
Have fun! I just spent my summer holidays in Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and Finland.

In Latvia, I advice you to download the mobilly.lv app.
You can easily purchase train, tram and bus tickets there.

I enjoyed Riga a lot - but I only spent a "full day" there and opted for ("half") day tours by using public transport.

You could take the train at 7 am and go to Sigulda (which is absolutely breathtaking). It's located in the beautiful, green and stunning Gauja - Nationalpark and if you don't mind walking, you could see Sigulda's castle, the Gutmanis Cave and take a walk along the river to the Turaida castle (it was basically one of my favourite activities in the Baltic countries). The view from the castle tower is absolutely mesmerising.

Around noon, I took another train to Cesis - it's a quiet but beautiful city as well - another castle to explore (they hand you some real candles to explore the dark towers) and the nearby park (especially the stairs) are very picturesque.

Also, you can easily go to Jurmala and explore the incredible beach. The sand is very "Caribbean" - also, I loved walking through the city to get a glimpse of all the villas and the pinewoods.

If you've got some money left, I highly recommend to book the "Sunset Kemeri National Park + Jurmala" tour via LatviaGem.

^^ You can walk through the bogs, visit an observation tower - it's eerie (when the sun sets and you can see the reflection of the moon, the clouds, the trees in the hundreds of lakes). I think it was one of my favourite spots in Latvia.

Also, I enjoyed "Kuldiga" a lot. I went there by bus from Riga. It's in the Western part of the country and offers a beautiful old town (some wooden houses, it serves as a set/film locations for Latvian movies) and the rapid falls are the widest one in whole Europe! - You can take a walk along the river there as well (they got a lovely observation tower as well - you could see the bridge, the old town and the rapid falls from there).

In Riga, you really have to visit the old town. Take the elevator and enjoy a beatiful 360 panorama view from St. Petri's tower.
Moreover, I loved the Art Noveau quarter (actually, you can't find as many Art Noveau buildings in any other city in the world). Thus, the Art Noveau Musuem/center is a must... even if you don't want to see the musuem, go inside the building and take a look at the beautiful and instragram-worthy staircases!!)

I can't give any advice for food since I'm vegetarian and Latvian cuisine is quite "traditional German, some sort of" and a lot of potatoes and meat, in my opinion.

If you're interested in castles and palaces, Rundale and Bauska castle are worth visiting (but public transport is basically non-existent there, so you have to book a day tour).

Alevender

Administrator
Staff member
@Mainshow awesome list!
318.gif
You have visited many great places in Latvia and as a Latvian I would definitely recommend them to a tourist. In my opinion, Gauja National Park is sort of signature of our nature. Sigulda is a top pick for sure and it is not far from Riga.
https://siguldaadventures.com/en - take a look at this for some fun activities.
Cēsis and Kuldīga - both fantastic old towns. Kemeri National Park - breathetaking in any season and walking through the bogs is a must and a very mainstream activity right now.
As it is still warm you can go to the sea as well. My favorite is Saulkrasti beach.

Himan

I didn't have enough time in Riga to give a lot of information, since I've been only for three days in Riga, also one of the days was quite hot, not really walk through a city weather, more drink a lot of cocktails weather. Keep in mind that the museums might be a bit shocking, so take a bit of time to process your thoughts a bit, if you have trouble with that kind of thing. I will be in Tallinn from tomorrow, so you will learn what I have seen there in a few days time.

BernadetteCydonia

If you're interested in castles and palaces, Rundale and Bauska castle are worth visiting (but public transport is basically non-existent there, so you have to book a day tour).
ooh I have been to Rundale palace too, for a school trip to Latvia - it's truly a nice experience ✨

Himan

I have been to Tallinn now also. The old town is beautiful honestly! Also here a lot museums about a lot of parts of history, but the old town is mostly from the middle ages. Try to find the highest points of the city and also the viewing points. Also there is more of a modern outer shell to the city. One part is a bit more hipster, close to the market, which is close to the train station. The other part is closer to the Harbour, where the more modern shopping malls and higher buildings are, and you can find some nice poker tournaments(you probably don't care about)and dance bars. Like in every Baltic city, also here there is a bit of Russian tension due to the Russian inhabitants. Which you definitely will know when you walk past the Russian embassy.
Learn some Estonian words like tere(hi) and Aitäh(thank you), cause you might get a little smile out of the Estonians.

For me the next stop will be Stockholm and obviously the ABBA museum!

Top Bottom