Contact us

Spain Will Spain return to the bottom positions?

EfendiFanSpain

As we already saw in 1983 (Munich) it was not a good idea for Spain to bring a flamenco song to Eurovision.
In 2022, Spain will try again with Blanca Paloma and her song EAEA. After winning the final of the Benidorm Fest a lot of favourable comments could be seen, not only from Spaniards, but also from foreigners supporting the song.
Still there are people (mostly Spaniards) who say that the song is not a Eurovision song and that it will make them go back to the last positions.

What do you think? Will the song make them be close to Chanel's position in 2022?

La particular advertencia de Alejandro Abad a Blanca Paloma para  'Eurovisión' - Tikitakas

EfendiFanSpain

Zeus

First of all, what does it care? It's not like your entry this year is something to be completely ashamed of like the horrible, childish Do It For Your Lover from that guy that had a massive voice crack in his performance.

It may not be for everybody and the song itself (studio version) isn't even totally amazing imo, but the song very much has it's own character and meaning, it's something unique for Eurovision, it's very ethnical in the sense of that it represents a classical type of music in Spain, the girl can sing very well, there is a great performance.. If I was Spanish I would be proud that this song and most of all this amazing performance would represent my country.

And again, it may not be everybody's cup of tea. 100%. And in terms of ESC something not too complex and poppy like Slomo with a lot of dancing and sex is always the safer choice if you are purely looking for a good result in ESC. But that doesn't say anything. Almost everyone I know from my own bubble who watches Eurovision didn't liked Slomo and thought it was a cheap monstrosity of a song. But at least I myself do enjoy Blanca's performance on the other hand.

I guess, if you really want an answer, the result will not be as "good" ("high" is a better word) as with Slomo. But I do believe there could be people voting for this and you will never come close to being last because juries should always give this some respect.

Last edited:

I bims

Veteran
I don't think it will do that great but at least it's not an act to be ashamed of.
But who knows, maybe it won't do so badly. This year shapes up to be really weak, so there isn't much competition for the left side of the scoreboard currently.

ayzelto

I clearly see the song as top 10 material among the juries, but the televoters could sink it or place it “decently”. It’s too early to say, but I’d say between 7th and 15th place at the moment.

jatojo

It's often the small things that matter. I was a fan of 'Terra' and would have loved to see it at Eurovision. I'm not at all a fan of this year's Spanish entry. It's too much, too theatrical, and not catchy. I would never vote for a song just because it's traditional folk music and the singer is talented.

But we saw last year that boring songs like Switzerland and Australia made it through because of the juries, and I'm pretty sure Blanca Paloma will get a good number of jury votes in the final.

hijirio

Veteran
Spain in the past 2 decades except 2022 either had a good song with a terribly bad staging or a bad song with a terribly bad staging.

This time the song is alright, and the staging really elevates it. I think it can finish at the lower half of the left side, but it all depends on the overall lineup, whether there are other similiar (and better) ethnic songs to vote for in the final.

Gera11

WorldVision Mod 🌻
Staff member
I don't think this warranted a separate thread from SPAIN 2023 but I digress.

I'm absolutely certain Eaea won't reach the same heights as SloMo (because that was a lightning in a bottle kind of result tbh) and Spaniard fans should really temper their expectations. Having said that, I think showing this side of Spain is an achievement of its own, regardless of the result it gets. I think it will rest heavily on what songs manage to survive the semis. Southern European countries might be more inclined to vote for it I think.

Ajeje Brazorf

My prediction is Eaea won't reach the podium, even if I preferred it to SloMo, but can definitely see it in the top 10...

HarryUK

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think both Spain and indeed the UK have turned a corner in Eurovision now and, as long as they stay on this path (Spain with Benidorm Fest & a strong selection of songs, and the UK partnering with TaP Music), great results can be expected.

ESC_Peggy

The song will never be a fan favourite but that doesn’t matter, all it needs to do is make an impact on the night. It’s authentic and I definitely think it could win if the performance is anything like Benidorm Fest and I didn’t like Slo-Mo at all.

mauve

Veteran
I didn't like Slomo and I don't like Spain this year either. But as said above, it could go either way: top 10 or bottom, but surely it won't be winner material.

Ezio

Veteran
I think the Spanish flavour is too heavy on this song. Unlike SloMo, I don't see the mass appeal, it's too niche. However, this topic doesn't deserve a thread. This subforum is for threads discussing more than one country and else.

12Pointsgoto.....

I like it and feel like it could do well but I thought slo mo was awful so what the hell do I know
I wholeheartedly agree. I love Eaea and I think it is a great entry to represent spain, and the fact that a lot of people online have said that it doesn't feel spanish, or not as spanish as Chanel is beyond me. Slo Mo had a great live, but other than that it was god awful.

Top Bottom