Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11515758596061

Thread: Eurovision Confessions

1. Active Member
    Finland

Re: Eurovision Confessions

My this year's guilty pleasure is Zena's "Like It".

I think EBU should inactivate liking/dlsliking rehearsal snippets because of how it is used today. Nowadays many people dislike all the participants other than their countries to make their country look better. But in practice, it happens so that most of the songs have higher dislike rates than the like rates, and it helps nothing. The performers, be it the singers, dancers or back vocalists, will lose their motivation and put more stress on their shoulders. If people weren't so immature, the like/dislike system actually could work for giving an idea to the people in charge. For instance, I never dislike a video. I just leave it as is. As a matter of fact, it is not that hard to do. What is happening this week is just waste of energy.

While we're at it, let me tell you this.

I have this friend who often would have said Eurovision is a bad organisation because the songs suck and everyone votes politically. But then again, he is one of those typical people who never watched Eurovision and only says what everyone says. While he brought this up, I reminded him that only in the past 10 years, around 400 songs have competed in the contest and he probably knows only 5 - 6 winners, which don't even make 1% of all the songs involved in the contest, and it was unfair to judge and throw shade on all participants/songs for this particular reason.

He somehow got himself interested in watching a Eurovision final with me, so I chose 2015. He wasn't truly impressed but he came to this conclusion that he could take his chance and watch more editions. In the following weeks, we have watched 2009, 2010 and 2011. Last night, while watching 2011 final, he confessed that he now gets me what I meant by it in the beginning. He even said "There must be great songs that just couldn't make it to the finals as well." And when I told him this year's edition comes next week, he actually asked me to watch together, something he would have never done before watching those editions.

There has been several songs that he loves also. As far as I can remember he loves 2009, 2009, 2009, 2010, 2010, 2010, 2010, 2010, 2010, 2011, 2011, 2011, 2011. And he found it outrageous that Sweden came only 21st in 2009.

4. Active Member
    UK

That's pretty awesome that he actually got into it more. Maybe you could show him a pre-1999 contest at some point in the future, who knows?
    Likes  LesterMalvo liked this post

5. Senior Member
    Germany

#spreadtheword

It's indeed so difficult to make people ranting about Eurovision watch it. They just judge because prejudice. I'm so sick and tired of hearing all these "it's political" and "Eastern European countries only win and vote for each other" comments.

In the last 10 years, only Azerbaijan & Ukraine can be classified as "Eastern European" - The other winning entries came from Western/Middle European countries and IF Eurovision is only about politics, please explain "Portugal, Bulgaria, Moldova" finishing inside the Top 3 back in 2017 - All three entries don't really rely on neighbouring votes and politically/economically, they aren't really "a force" on an international scale.

#letKAZAKHSTANdebutfinally

6. Legend
    Macedonia

I can't stop watching the Belgian performance and noticing things that go wrong. I know that's mean and makes me the worst person which I already am in the mind of a certain member of this forum but it's becoming a compulsion.
    Likes  Lupus, tuorem, joao liked this post

12 10 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1

7. Active Member
    UK

That's fair enough but my own confession: This year is one of few Belgian entries I like this decade

8. Wizard
    Greece

I think that most countries that messed up their national finals with drama or selected the wrong song in the nf got NQ.
    Likes  theCONWEL, randajad liked this post

Page 61 of 61 FirstFirst ... 11515758596061