Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 28687475767778

Thread: England: WV92 - Tracey Ullman (as Angela Merkel) "99 Red Balloons"

1. Piece of Wonk
    UK

England: WV92 - Tracey Ullman (as Angela Merkel) "99 Red Balloons"

As is traditional after doing well with something straight, the King has decided to go a little, hmm, left-field

Tracey Ullman (as Angela Merkel) - "99 Red Balloons"

Lupus' History

Previous Jurors

2. Piece of Wonk
    UK

Re: England: WV90 - Penguin Café Orchestra - Beanfields

WV90: Penguin Café Orchestra - Beanfields

Yes, it's the long-awaited "Sheepie Song" as many Freedomers call it from the sheep in the YouTube video. I couldn't NOT send that video as a result

It's a gorgeous instrumental piece by the iconic Penguin Café Orchestra - a group which I certainly would love to share more with y'all so maybe keep an eye out for them in the future! A weird blend of folk music with, well, sometimes quite random sounds! Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy your trip into the Beanfields this edition
    Likes  Eulaliya, lavieenrose, RainyWoods liked this post

2018 Ranking: | WV's King of

3. Piece of Wonk
    UK

Re: England: WV91 - Steps - Scared of the Dark

WV91: Steps - "Scared of the Dark

I cannot imagine that this is too much of a surprise for most of you, given I was on the verge of holding a National Final for Steps a few months back I decided to forego the NF (as is my new approach) and instead just choose a song of theirs which I wanted to share.
    I was not short of options on that front: Steps have been in and out of my life for the best part of two decades! I remember them from their early days in the 1990s as I had a few chums who were fans and I even recall "Tragedy" being sung in our school assembly at one point when I was 10/11. They kinda faded into the background somewhat for me until I hit university when my flatmates made up ten "flat rules" - number 6 on the list was that we always had to do the dance to the chorus of "Tragedy"! So suddenly they leapt back into my consciousness. Again, after those rules faded and I stopped going out to nightclubs so much, so Steps faded once again for me.

I had not, however, totally forgotten them, and got a few of their CDs on my charity shop hunts around Stirling once I had started my professional life and got my own car with CD player So when they announced last year that they were bringing out a new CD, boy,
    I was excited! I was even more excited when I started listening to the songs!! Calvin got me the CD for my birthday - as did my bemused younger brother (oops, communication error there!!) and soon I was totally hooked. I probably listen to it once a week on average in the car - and considering I generally listen to CDs for only about 3 hours a week in the car, that is a LOT - and so I am certainly strongly into them at the moment.

But what to send? Well, I eventually whittled it down to four for the NF - "Tragedy", "One for Sorrow", "Scared of the Dark" and "Story of a Heart". But when it came to it, well...

I've sent "Tragedy" to a spinoff before and whilst it is possible the one which has pervaded my life the most, I don't really want to repeat what I've already done so I eliminated that.

"One for Sorrow" is iconic, but it's not been *there* as much for me, so if I had to choose one song, it wouldn't be this.

"Story of a Heart" tells a gorgeous story and I adore it so much, but it just doesn't best encapsulate the Steps I've known for so long as well as...

"Scared of the Dark"! So I had to choose this - it's so obviously Steps for the first few seconds. It is a masterpiece and I adore it.
    I'm sure that other Steps fans here will disagree with me and curse me for choosing the "wrong one", but it's the best one for me in the contest right now and I am overjoyed to be sending it here tonight. Enjoy
    Likes  RainyWoods, theCONWEL liked this post

4. Kajus Henderis
    UK

Re: England: WV91 - Steps - Scared of the Dark

*initiating 7 year old child mode* Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaas oh gosh Steps!! The first music I ever owned was a Steps Heartbeat/Tragedy cassette single, and then my first ever album on cd was "Step One". This comeback single is amazing and totally 21st century Steps, upgrading their sound but still it's so recognizable as being totally them. I love it. Please slay with this. Bless your legendary charity shop hunts.

*turns 7 year old child mode off*

..... *turns 7 year old child mode on again and twirls*
    Likes  Lupus liked this post

Thank you for the memories Valentina. My Last.fm page NO, be bolder, golden light for miles.
    2017 ranking 12. Portugal 10. Albania 8. Finland 7. Montenegro 6. San Marino 5. Italy 4. Malta 3. Lithuania 2. Norway 1. Denmark
    "do you wanna into my body? oh.. this oculd be udnerstood in a wrong way" - Whiteshoes aka ShoeFlo
    "Slay me Chiara non-camp masc icon new lewk habba Zarbun" - Lavieenrose
    "Thank you for your rent risky weave didn't Raint" - Connor with some wise words for me
    "a guy in a hat... must be a kai entry" StarGazer

5. Piece of Wonk
    UK

Re: England: WV92 - A Tribute to Foreign Friends

Apologies that this is somewhat late! Between tonsillitis and going on holiday with the family, I've not had much time/energy to update this, but thanks again to all you icons who supported Steps to an incredible third place! It's always really touching when a group you've loved for the best part of two decades does so well for you in a contest as it shows they can touch the hearts of lots of other people too. So here's a hearty "CHEERS" to the following icons:

I would like, if you'll indulge me, to also say a brief mention on my WV philosophy at this stage. I have a firm belief (and it is only a belief!) that Worldvision is a fantastic opportunity to discover new music whilst sharing things you love and have a real passion for. Sure, it's a joy when they do well, but I'd much rather an entry of mine flopped than send something I didn't really love. I mean, to paraphrase RuPaul, if you don't love yourself own entry enough to give it a , how the hell you gonna expect someone else to love your entry? I reject the label scorewhore as it is applied by most - I don't care if your song is beloved by 3 people or 300 million. If you are sending music you love and you truly believe in, then I genuinely cannot ask more of you. If you're sending something you don't really care about, something you maybe like, but have no real passion for, just to try and win, well, tbh, why? What is the point? It saddens me when I see negative reactions to songs just because they are big hits - judge the music, not the popularity! Anyway, I just wanted to highlight that as I've seen various things around for the past five or six editions which just don't feel quite right and I wanted to say my ha'penny's worth on it!

Looking forwards and onto this edition's entry, well I wanted to send someone comedic after Steps' fabulous result so I've chosen someone who I almost sent last year, but the timing felt a little off. It's celebrating 's ties with our close chums in and . It's sort of straight but also is totally OTT and fabulous and (I hope you'll agree) downright hilarious! I am certain you'll know the song (am genuinely gobsmacked this is the first time it's going to WV ) but everything else will, hopefully, be new to y'all! I know of at least one player here who will be overjoyed to see the lead finally coming to WV, although perhaps not from the country you'd expect...
    Likes  RainyWoods, theCONWEL liked this post

6. Mentor
    Philippines

Re: England: WV92 - A Tribute to Foreign Friends

Ohmygosh a cover of Nena's iconic hit featured in my cancelled Berlin NF a while ago (The German version deserved better tho)
    And you finally sent a Steps hit? Great, though I wasn't there to support it :/
    Likes  Lupus liked this post

♦ 12 GE 10 NL 8 RO 7 IL 6 AL 5 GR 4 BE 3 EE 2 DK 1 ME ♦ ani lo buba kulului kulului ♦

7. Piece of Wonk
    UK

Re: England: WV92 - Tracey Ullman (as Angela Merkel) "99 Red Balloons"

WV92: Tracey Ullman (as Angela Merkel) "99 Red Balloons"

Well I said it was left-field... I wanted to go a bit more comedic after a few more serious entries! Tracey Ullman is an icon of the comedic scene in the US, but recently returned to her roots in the UK and has some fantastic satirical sketches from her most recent series. She is also a serious vocal talent as you can hear in this entry! I was amazed that "99 Red Balloons" has yet to go to WV so sorry Nena that this is the first version to go (mind those hairy armpits!!!)

Hope you enjoy this lighter touch to WV and I'll hopefully have something completely different again for WV93 - sticking to the same thing is boring after all

Page 78 of 78 FirstFirst ... 28687475767778