Thread: What are you currently reading?

1. Hero
    Philippines

Re: What are you currently reading?

♦ FSC: Midnight Sky ♦ NSC: Big God ♦ WV: Clem Castro NF ongoing! ♦

2. Legend
    Mexico

I'm currently reading I'll Be Gone in the Dark and OOF DA is it haunting. It's about a (real and to this day unidentified) serial killer, and the detached way author Michelle McNamara describes the kinds of things he did makes my stomach turn. It's amazing and comes highly recommended.

Plus, the story of how it was written is really interesting - she died at 46 before it could be finished, and her husband, comedian Patton Oswalt (Remy in Ratatouille!), finished it off from her notes.
    Congrats Jamala/Salvador/Netta, best consecutive winners ever

3. Piece of Wonk
    UK

Just finished off SPQR by Mary Beard - an utterly captivating account of how Rome went from a bunch of huts on a few hills to largest empire around the Mediterranean. She has a really engaging writing style but also packs the book with detail - not just of the big figures, but we also learn about Romans whose existence we know about from a few carvings or a tomb and tells us about their lives within the Empire. A great book for anyone who's interested in the Romans!
    Likes  Ausesken, MyHeartIsYours liked this post

2018 Ranking: | WV's Lord President of

4. Senior Member
    United States

I'm currently listening to Scythe by Neal Shusterman
    but look what JUST came out yesterday lol
    I HAD to get it.
    Space Opera
    https://www.audible.com/pd/Sci-Fi-Fa...OREM1216179MBK
    2018 top 15: Greece Czechia Germany Israel Denmark Italy Ukraine Cyprus Switzerland France Bulgaria Latvia Belgium Croatia Albania

5. Roman Empress
    Spain

I’ve just finished reading The Lost Symbol (Dan Brown). Although it’s been amazing overall, I must admit that sometimes it becomes way too repetitive about the masons and the mysteries, etc. The last chapter has been just boring tbh, not a good way to end a fantastic story.

As I said, now I’m going to read Inferno.

6. Senior Member
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Ausesken View Post

As I said, now I’m going to read Inferno.
    oooh, I liked Inferno a lot more than his other books. Maybe Angels & Demons is still tops for me.
    But depending on how you react to what you read be warned, the premise/problem in the book messed with my mind big time. I had super weird dreams lol
    If you enjoy historical thrillers like Brown, check out James Rollins Sigma series. It's more science (with some history) thriller though. (start with Map of Bones, not Sandstorm if you decide to go to the beginning, which you don't really have to. The author does a good job catching you up on important for the given book stuff).
    Likes  Ausesken liked this post

2018 top 15: Greece Czechia Germany Israel Denmark Italy Ukraine Cyprus Switzerland France Bulgaria Latvia Belgium Croatia Albania

7. Roman Empress
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by vavera4ka View Post
    oooh, I liked Inferno a lot more than his other books. Maybe Angels & Demons is still tops for me.
    But depending on how you react to what you read be warned, the premise/problem in the book messed with my mind big time. I had super weird dreams lol
    If you enjoy historical thrillers like Brown, check out James Rollins Sigma series. It's more science (with some history) thriller though. (start with Map of Bones, not Sandstorm if you decide to go to the beginning, which you don't really have to. The author does a good job catching you up on important for the given book stuff).
    I'll take a look at those books you mention, even if I think I won't find them in Spanish I can read English, there's no problem with that, but Spanish is my favourite language for reading, even far above my other native language, Catalan.

Edit: have you read Origin then? If you have, did you find it as interesting as the others? As I live close to Barcelona I'm very curious to read what secret inscriptions and symbols I've been ignoring all my life hahaha

8. Senior Member
    United States

Quote Originally Posted by Ausesken View Post
    I'll take a look at those books you mention, even if I think I won't find them in Spanish I can read English, there's no problem with that, but Spanish is my favourite language for reading, even far above my other native language, Catalan.

Edit: have you read Origin then? If you have, did you find it as interesting as the others? As I live close to Barcelona I'm very curious to read what secret inscriptions and symbols I've been ignoring all my life hahaha
    I have not read Origin yet. It is on my (ever growing lol) TBR list lol
    Likes  Ausesken liked this post

9. FSC Head Mod
    Norway

I have only read around 100 pages of this so far ,
    but seems a very good fantasy genre novel!

<< Join the Fun at the Forum Song Contest (FSC)! >>

10. Active Member
    Lithuania

I usually dislike Martha and her all-too-clever self. We'll see about this one.
    Likes  Gera11 liked this post