Page 29 of 30 FirstFirst ... 19252627282930 LastLast
Results 281 to 290 of 291

Thread: What are you currently reading?

  1. Senior Member
    Germany
    Mainshow's Avatar
    Gender
    Male
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    514
    #281

    Re: What are you currently reading?

    Working in a book store is indeed great. I have always loved reading and even though I am working at the cash desk, I can still give some recommendation. Sadly, - due to my studying - I'm not really keen on reading as much as I used to (because I have to read tons of papers for university).

    Anyway, I am quite excited about getting to know more about the Targaryens and the world of the Seven Kingdoms before the "actual" story of Game of Thrones kicked in.
    I already loved the story behind Aegon, the conqueror, and his sisters! - It still feels a bit like a "real" book of history.. so I can't read many pages as once (as already mentioned), though.

    Oh, that's a pity that that family tree isn't included in your edition. I bought the German translation, though. The cover of the book is "doubled" somehow (like extra thick) and you can take away the cover, unfold it like a map and if you turn it around you will get a whole family tree which is like 55x45cm in its size.... It's stunning and amazing to get so much information at once! - I will be in Scotland next year - maybe I should show it to you (after making you jealous) lol.

    I like it that you find my proposed plot twist to be interesting.. seriously, even though I love Daenerys and Jon, I would love it to see D+J coming together, defending the Seven Kingdoms, killing the Night King and putting Cersei into prison just to see Sansa betraying Jon and getting the throne in the end (whilst Cersei is laughing her ass off whilst being arrested) [I guess that GoT has already made me going slightly mad]

    It's great that we share the same favourite characters.. OMG I LOVED Margaery. - I kinda loved Cersei a bit too but I will never ever forgive her for blowing Margaery up.
    Tyrion has been getting on my nerves lately... Like how he's trying to convince Daenerys to not take action, to not punish her enemies and comparing her to her father. I mean.. C'mon that's coming from someone who killed his own father whilst his victim was sitting on the toilet
    Likes  Gera11 liked this post
     
    #letKAZAKHSTANdebutfinally

  2. WorldVision Mod
    Switzerland
    Gera11's Avatar
    Gender
    Male
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    15,365
    Location
    Bucharest
    #282

    Re: What are you currently reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mainshow View Post
    Working in a book store is indeed great. I have always loved reading and even though I am working at the cash desk, I can still give some recommendation. Sadly, - due to my studying - I'm not really keen on reading as much as I used to (because I have to read tons of papers for university).
    Same, I used to read a whole lot more but ever since I started university my motivation for reading has been quite low. I'm slowly starting to recover though. What are you studying?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainshow View Post
    Anyway, I am quite excited about getting to know more about the Targaryens and the world of the Seven Kingdoms before the "actual" story of Game of Thrones kicked in.
    I already loved the story behind Aegon, the conqueror, and his sisters! - It still feels a bit like a "real" book of history.. so I can't read many pages as once (as already mentioned), though.
    Leave it on George Martin to make even "fake" history realistic. I can already see myself taking it reaaaally slow, since I'm not used to reading much literature in English.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mainshow View Post

    Oh, that's a pity that that family tree isn't included in your edition. I bought the German translation, though. The cover of the book is "doubled" somehow (like extra thick) and you can take away the cover, unfold it like a map and if you turn it around you will get a whole family tree which is like 55x45cm in its size.... It's stunning and amazing to get so much information at once! - I will be in Scotland next year - maybe I should show it to you (after making you jealous) lol.

    I like it that you find my proposed plot twist to be interesting.. seriously, even though I love Daenerys and Jon, I would love it to see D+J coming together, defending the Seven Kingdoms, killing the Night King and putting Cersei into prison just to see Sansa betraying Jon and getting the throne in the end (whilst Cersei is laughing her ass off whilst being arrested) [I guess that GoT has already made me going slightly mad]

    It's great that we share the same favourite characters.. OMG I LOVED Margaery. - I kinda loved Cersei a bit too but I will never ever forgive her for blowing Margaery up.
    Tyrion has been getting on my nerves lately... Like how he's trying to convince Daenerys to not take action, to not punish her enemies and comparing her to her father. I mean.. C'mon that's coming from someone who killed his own father whilst his victim was sitting on the toilet
    Damn, I'm jealous on the German edition! I want a map now, will sue Martin. Have fun in Scotland! I love their landscapes

    Sansa betraying Jon in the very last second of Game of Thrones would be such...Game of thrones! Can't end it without a taste of intrigue and betrayal eh?

    I loved Margaery too and I was looking forward to her plots. Kinda sad that Cersei outsmarted her, oh well. Yeah, I used to like Cersei too, but in the last season she was this close to be the Mad Queen. I share your view about Tyrion, he wasn't at his best in season 7. Here's hoping that he'll come around in the end (if they make a Jon-Tyrion-Daenerys I will be proper pissed tho, do we really need that?)
    Likes  Mainshow liked this post
     

  3. WorldVision Mod
    Switzerland
    Gera11's Avatar
    Gender
    Male
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    15,365
    Location
    Bucharest
    #283

    Re: What are you currently reading?

    Just finished Norse mythology by Neil Gaiman. Oh my goodness. It might be because my whole knowledge about Norse gods comes from Marvel movies, but I did not expect the nordic gods to be this messed up. Makes me reevaluate Zeus and his crew. Wow, not so crazy after all, compared to Loki and many other gods who have the weirdest plans. Anyway, it's worth a read

  4. Junkie
    Spain
    Ausesken's Avatar
    Gender
    Female
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,836
    #284

    Re: What are you currently reading?

    It took me more time than usual, but finally I finished reading the 2nd part of Outlander. I was very disappointed when I read the start because the story wasn't like I wanted it to be, but in the end I loved it and I'm looking forward to buy the 3rd book.

    I will wait some time before buying it, though because now I've started reading a book I got as present for Christmas: "Yo, Julia". A book about Julia Domna, the boss of empresses (after Livia Drusila). I know this writer because I've read his two trilogies, one about Scipio Africanus and the other about the emperor Trajan (the 2nd best emperor imo, after Augustus). I'll probably like this one too.



    Btw, I can't express how much I hate the cover of the book. Why? Because THIS was what Julia Domna looked like:



    Why is it so difficult to throw away the image we have of women in Antiquity, based just on films? Why is it so difficult to accept that they didn't look as "cool" as we imagined?
    Likes  Gera11, JSSArcos liked this post
     

  5. WorldVision Mod
    Switzerland
    Gera11's Avatar
    Gender
    Male
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    15,365
    Location
    Bucharest
    #285

    Re: What are you currently reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ausesken View Post
    It took me more time than usual, but finally I finished reading the 2nd part of Outlander. I was very disappointed when I read the start because the story wasn't like I wanted it to be, but in the end I loved it and I'm looking forward to buy the 3rd book.
    Ha I was just wondering where did you get with the Outlander series. I cannot find the second book anywhere here, it's getting annoying smh. Is the second one about Paris and Battle of Culloden? What did you expect to be different?

  6. Junkie
    Spain
    Ausesken's Avatar
    Gender
    Female
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,836
    #286

    Re: What are you currently reading?

    Quote Originally Posted by Gera11 View Post
    Ha I was just wondering where did you get with the Outlander series. I cannot find the second book anywhere here, it's getting annoying smh. Is the second one about Paris and Battle of Culloden? What did you expect to be different?

  7. WorldVision Mod
    Switzerland
    Gera11's Avatar
    Gender
    Male
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    15,365
    Location
    Bucharest
    #287

    Re: What are you currently reading?

    Oh I see Wow, they really did one season = one book

    Likes  Ausesken liked this post
     

  8. Junkie
    Portugal
    JSSArcos's Avatar
    Gender
    Male
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    1,517
    Location
    Arcos de Valdevez (Portugal)
    #288

    Re: What are you currently reading?

    Well, I do not have much time to read (unfortunately, but I'll try to read more)

    I'm currently reading 21 Lessons for the 21st Century (in Portuguese of course)



    I'm on page 59, right now I'm really enjoying it, I recommend it to everyone. For now it mainly addresses the themes of Facism, Communism, Liberalism, the technological revolution (and its Consequences ) ... Tackling 21 topics
    Likes  Gera11, B3stbeats liked this post
     
    FSC Portugal Luís Sequeira - Se ao menos te odiasse <3
    WV Finland TBA

  9. WorldVision Mod
    Switzerland
    Gera11's Avatar
    Gender
    Male
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    15,365
    Location
    Bucharest
    #289

    Re: What are you currently reading?

    @JSSArcos Wow, nice! I bought Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind by the same author and I will start it soon
    Likes  JSSArcos liked this post
     

  10. Junkie
    Spain
    Ausesken's Avatar
    Gender
    Female
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    1,836
    #290

    Re: What are you currently reading?

    I think we have both in the library, but I didn't pay much attention to them. I will take a look then XD

    ...bff... my 'book waiting list' is getting too long, considering that the Outlander series is made of ¿8? giant books and every time new books arrive to the library I add two or three more XD
    Likes  Gera11, JSSArcos liked this post
     

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright © 2009-2018 escunited.com. All rights reserved. Designed by Trece All times are GMT +2. The time now is 20:45.