Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast

Thread: What are you currently reading?

1. Enthusiast
    Spain

Re: What are you currently reading?

Latin Lovers
    La lengua que hablamos(aunque no nos demos cuenta)

Latin Lovers:
    The language we speak (although we do not realize it)

«From Asterix to Brexit», «On this pizza I will build the Roman Empire», «Latin is the milk» or «From Spartacus to Grease» are the titles of some of the chapters that make up this entertaining book.

Emilio del Río shows us, through a multitude of references to sport, economy, food, cinema or music, that Latin is very much alive among us, and not only in the cultured records, but in the colloquial culture without that we are aware of it.

Around three weeks ago, I saw that book in a supplement to a newspaper from my region. My face was "I want that, now, NOWWW". Finally, when I went to Ourense in a French excursion, I could buy the book. One of my teachers said we mustn't walk alone when we got free time before return tothe bus. I'm a rebel for walk alone, sorry, I was the only one who loves read, and this book is important for my health.

I really recomend to read this book because you read at least one chapter and you don't stop to say WOOOOO, like:

Brexit is Latin: Br-(braetania, the french región, not Great Britain) and -exit (Did you know "exit" is a latin Word and not english?) = Exit of Bretania (Asterix breaks free)

2. Addict
    UK

About 25% in and so far so good.

"In a country teetering on the brink of civil war, two young people meet—sensual, fiercely independent Nadia and gentle, restrained Saeed. They embark on a furtive love affair and are soon cloistered in a premature intimacy by the unrest roiling their city. When it explodes, turning familiar streets into a patchwork of checkpoints and bomb blasts, they begin to hear whispers about doors—doors that can whisk people far away, if perilously and for a price. As the violence escalates, Nadia and Saeed decide that they no longer have a choice. Leaving their homeland and their old lives behind, they find a door and step through."

EDIT: Just finished it, would recommend.

3. Australopithecus
    Spain

I just finished reading “Yo, Julia” by Santiago Posteguillo. I loved it. However, I guess I know the reason why he won the biggest award of literature in Spain: because it contains a feminist message. As a woman I like reading stories where women are powerful. As historian, I don’t like stories that exaggerate some women’s power in history. I am a fan of empress Julia Domna, but I just don’t believe she was the only brain in the marriage. Better said, we don’t have any proof that she was SO decisive in the fight for the power, and this novel turns Severus into a man who only knows about military strategy/intelligence, while his wife is being given all the political intelligence. I’d say it’s the new feminist cliché: men can fight, women can think XD. No, bro. Severus must have been an intelligent man in its own. At the end of the book the author talks about women in history. Man, if you are not historian you shouldn’t talk about certain things like you were writing a cientific essay about it... He says the accusations of promiscuity against Julia Domna were written way after the last member of that dinasy died. Right, I agree on that. But then he says that Julia has been accused of being promiscuous and then ‘ignored’ by historians and novelists because she was a woman, a foreigner woman, and that we shouldn’t believe those accusations. He should remember that some emperors have been accused of being completely crazy and cruel by authors that also wrote way after they had died, but it’s ok believing it because they are talking about a man and not a woman, right? Who cares about a man’s reputation in history...

Well, despite all this, I can say I really liked this book. Sometimes it reminded me why I wanted to be specifically a military historian.
    Likes  Gera11 liked this post

4. Newbie
    United States

I am currently reading right now is brawling go manga and I think this is one of the best manga. This is my favourite.

5. Australopithecus
    Spain

Well days ago I started reading a book of Anne Perry because I didn’t want to read the same all the time, and it’s a bit boring. I don’t leave it because I want to know how it ends, but the way she writes makes it repetitive and very slow. I already bought the 3rd book of Outlander though XD it’s awaiting its time.

However, I will have to stop reading novels for a while I’ll be reading stuff I need to study

6. Legend
    UK

I rarely read fiction books, always non-fiction lol. I'm reading Debrett's Kings and Queens of Britain
    Likes  Gera11 liked this post

I am currently reading right now is 7 Senchi! manga and I think this is one of the best manga on youtube to. This is my favourite.

8. WorldVision Mod
    United States

Last week I finished a small book called Dreams: Vintage Minis, which is an ideas mix from the books The Essentials of Psycho-Analysis and The Standard Edition of the Complete Psychological Works of the Sigmund Freud, Volume IV: The Interpretation of Dreams (First Part) by Sigmund Freud. I have to say it was quite...wild Freud's presumptions are deeply outdated by now, but it was an interesting read nonetheless.

9. Veteran
    Canada

"Is Harry on the boat?"

Considering some of the other books I've been reading, this is completely different. After I finished reading "Sands of time" by Sheldon and rereading "Digital Fortress" by Dan Brown, this is a whole new level of contrast. Just think of Ibiza, parties and sex. Can't wait to see the movie after I finish reading the book.
    Isabella, LadyKiller and PashonFruit are Charlie's angels... and I'm Charlie!

10. In Training
    Finland

I love books with a real story, so now I read Educated by Tara Westover. Love it