Page 171 of 179 FirstFirst ... 71121161167168169170171172173174175 ... LastLast
Results 1,701 to 1,710 of 1784

Thread: UEFA Champions League and Europa League

1. Mentor
    Germany

Re: UEFA Champions League and Europa League

Quote Originally Posted by EscGeek View Post
    what an amazing match
    Yes it was deserved, Congratulations. The Problem in Germany is that all Good teams that can compete international play very weak in the league. S04, Leverkusen, Bremen, HSV etc.. always played very good international, but didnt even qualify. This year will be horrible for us with Hoffenheim, Leipzig, Köln and Berlin playing international.

2. Veteran
    Romania

UEFA Europa League:

Oleksandriya - Astra Giurgiu 1- 0 (1 - 0 agg.)
    This was really unexpected!

AC Milan - CS Universitatea Craiova 2 - 0 (3 - 0 agg.)
    Craiova played really well on San Siro, but the result was expected!

Athletic Bilbao - Dinamo Bucharest 3 - 0 (4 - 1 agg.)
    Dinamo was smashed in and I kinda loved it!

3. Junkie
    Portugal

^ But they played really well in Bucharest!

No comments on draw yet?

Marítimo - Botev Plovdiv 2-0 (2-0 agg.)

I was quietly rooting for a surprise in here but being realistic it was impossible even before it started. The irregular pitch in Bulgaria on the first leg helped disguise a very fragile Bulgarian team. It is sad when I have to say that the best Botev player was a defensive midfielder from Benin who already signed for an Arabic team meanwhile.

Braga - AIK 2-1 after extra time (3-2 agg.)

The first match in Solna left me with mixed feelings. Braga entered very strong on the match despite Portuguese League only starting tomorrow (Swedish championship is already under way for quite some time on the other hand) but then they made a silly penalty mistake and pre-season fatigue started to show so the match ended up in a tie. Yesterday I didn't watch the match entirely. When I finally got a hold of it was already on 2nd half with AIK leading the way and I couldn't help but to grin in surprise (not because I think that AIK are that bad, but Braga claiming they are the 4th big team of our country and then nearly losing an early Europe League match at their home ground...). Unfortunately soon after AIK's goalkeeper Linnén pretty much gave the match away with an amateur error. The match went then to extra time and I stopped watching here. I followed on livescore and at 115' or so I thought AIK could still redeem themselves on penalties. But what I know is that a very strange goal (with the tummy?) occurred in the 120th minute and that they are through now.

Draw:

Champions League:

Sporting - Steaua Bucuresti

The day before the draw I had a gut feeling this would be the match we'd get. Rarely I get these things right but now I'm being encouraged to play in the lottery again.
    What to say of the draw itself...well, most of our supporters seem very happy with it and are underestimating Steaua. Part of this is because of some miracle that made us avoid the stronger teams in the play-off and the other part is just pure ignorance. Steaua does have the best ranking out of teams we could have been matched with (sure, this is still partly because of their 1986 glory campaign) but everyone here's saying they are the weakest because football is money nowadays and they don't have a thick budget (I honestly can't stand these 222M Neymar transfer fee kids who learned football as a corporate business rather than a sport).
    Personally speaking, I have good prospects, I won't lie but I don't expect it to be that easy at all. Firstly because I know the team more or less and they have good values within (Enache, Pintiili, Allibec, etc.). Even Filipe Teixeira is playing like on his 20's at 36 years of age. Secondly because the away match is in Bucharest and I know the atmosphere won't be easy. So if we don't get a good result on the first match it might be quite difficult in fact.
    Our squad is still a question mark at this point. The pre-season didn't go that well but these things are really meaningless in the end. But a lot of the positions will be made by new players (in defense all will be new expect for Coates) and a team needs time and routines to play at a decent level. Then we still don't know if a Euro champion will be departing this year at last (everyday we read speculations about Patrício, Adrien and William). There's great hope because we managed to get some big names (Mathieu, ex. Barcelona, Coentrão loaned by Real Madrid, Doumbia on loan by Roma...) but it is also general consensus that these players already have their best career years behind them.
    We'll see how things start away tomorrow. Of course I want my team to get on the CL group stage and do well but I reckon that the prize money would help even more Steaua and Romanian football (or then Gigi Becagli's Cayman private fund..). Eitherway, I just hope there's no bad blood between the two teams at the end of it all (although we're both known for having warm blooded fans, hence my "hope").

Europa League:

Marítimo - Dinamo Kyiv

That's it for them, they have no chance. Dinamo even surprised the eternal rival Shakhtar the other day. I couldn't help but laugh at Marítimo's clown, ignorant president telling to the newspapers today that he is optimistic and the the group stage is still their goal. At least their manager is still living on planet Earth and said it will be very hard. Vida & co. shouldn't give much of a chance.

Braga - FH Hafnarfjordur

It might look easier for Braga but it might just very well be a poisoned gift as well. They already had a hard time with a Nordic team so they need to get their act together against the Icelandic team. And they were more realistic reacting to the draw, remembering the hard time the national team had with Iceland during the Euro campaign. At home FH should be strong. Braga's squad is a mix of good quality, interesting promises and average players. Having this said, in theory they should have more than enough to go through. I wish nothing but the best to their manager Abel, our former right back defender for many years and former manager of our B squad. But the delusions of grandeur of their president and supporters is kinda what makes me wish them ill at the same time on the other hand.

Benfica (CL)
    FC Porto (CL)
    and
    Vitória de Guimarães (EL) are already guaranteed in the group stages.
    Likes  JSSArcos liked this post

4. Veteran
    Romania

UEFA Champions League, Play-Off:

Sporting CP - Steaua Bucharest
    @Edward:
    The fact that we won the Cup in 1986 doesen't mean nothing in the fact that we where the best team from the 2nd pot! The UEFA coefficient only bases on the results of the last 5 years, so it's basically because we reached the Last 16 round of the UEFA Europa League in 2013 and played in the group stages 4 times in the last 5 years. You are right a bit, from the next season of the UEFA Champions League, all the winners from 1956, including Nothingham Forest and Aston Villa will be in the 1st pot if they managge to qualify in the competition.

Also, don't be afraid of a blood bath betwen galeries as we don't have one! Steaua has a lot of fans but we are "citizens" as Dinamo calls us, because we have jobs and we only come to see the match, not making coreographies and singing. Our gallery left to support CSA Steaua, the new team founded by the army in the 5th League.

I think the chances are 30 % for us and 70 % for Sporting, but I am still happy wuth the draw. I don't want to be arrogant, but I think Sporting is more "doable" than Sevilla, Napoli or Liverpool.

UEFA Europa League, Play-Off:

Viitorul Constanta - Red Bull Salzburg
    And bye bye Viitorul!
    Likes  Edward, JSSArcos liked this post

5. Junkie
    Portugal

Thanks for the "fix" lucian. I don't follow the regulations of UEFA so closely anymore (aren't they always changing anyway?) so I was not aware that it was for those motives.
    I find it commendable that in the future past winners will be more recognized (although good luck to Villa and specially Forest achieving their past statuses ever again).

I love how you kinda made it sound that all Dinamo fans are unemployed there I fear more for the behavior of some of our fans actually. Although we're not famous for being violent there are some fans I do not associate with and can see bring up up trouble (particularly the younger, ignorant fans of the new generation). But I see this being more possible to happen in Bucharest however since despite what you say the atmosphere on stadiums there can get pretty crazy.
    And yeah, I read about the "original" Steaua. Not sure how the name issue is nowadays but it seems that at least UEFA still recognizes you as Steaua and not FCSB. This reminds me a bit of the Man Utd story around the time the Glazers bought the team, all respective differences aside. Haven't heard of the "original" Manchester in many years. The only kinda successful story I know about regarding name ownerships is that of Wimbledon vs. MK Dons. Seems (the now called) AFC Wimbledon is going up through the ranks. I wonder if the same ever happens between the two "Stars" of Bucharest. Would there be bloodshed?

I don't take your chances opinion in a bad way. You can't really compare our budget to that of Sevilla, Napoli or Liverpool at all. Or even the recent success of those teams (Liverpool aside, ofc).

We had a hard time beating Setúbal at home on Friday. We actually played quite ok but we need to be way more objective when it comes to turning opportunities into goals.
    I read that you've just tied with Astra at home though, that's worse for morale. Also a shame that Teixeira seems to have gotten seriously injured, I was already thinking of him being flash-interviewed after the game as it usually happens when we play against a foreign team and they have a Portuguese player among their ranks. But not mostly because of that of course, despite his age he is still a very influential player in your team from what I know from this season so far and I kinda feel bad his career never went in a more fortunate direction. I still remember him at PSG.

In any case, good luck for Tuesday. May the best team on the field win

Ah, RB are just money. I wouldn't be so negative regarding that draw. It's not the Leipzig side after all.

(Btw, is Coman with Viitorul still? I don't know what happened, I stopped following the transfers market at a certain point but he didn't end up in Benfica after all. Good for him! Maybe a more serious team like ours can now get him just to piss them off - though that's really more the common practice of Porto)

6. Guru
    Portugal

Sporting CP - Steaua Bucharest @Edward @lucian-crusher

I hope a good game of the Portuguese team in 1 hand (and it seems the best team), maybe a 2-0, but also think that in hand 2, the sporting will have great difficulties in Romania (and I think it will lose the game ..), as happened last year in Poland, or two years in Russia), in summary, I think sporting should make a good game in portugal, to get the qualification !!

My prediction

Sporting 2-0 Steaua Bucharest
    Steaua Bucharest 2-1 Sporting
    Forum Song Contest - Portugal
    WorldVision - Russia

7. Guru
    Portugal

Not being sporting, I hope to win.Good luck Steaua Bucharest !!!!
    Forum Song Contest - Portugal
    WorldVision - Russia

8. Ninja
    Azerbaijan

CL play off Qarabagh fc vs Copenhagen fc

9. Veteran
    Romania

Quote Originally Posted by Edward View Post
    Thanks for the "fix" lucian. I don't follow the regulations of UEFA so closely anymore (aren't they always changing anyway?) so I was not aware that it was for those motives.
    I find it commendable that in the future past winners will be more recognized (although good luck to Villa and specially Forest achieving their past statuses ever again).

I love how you kinda made it sound that all Dinamo fans are unemployed there I fear more for the behavior of some of our fans actually. Although we're not famous for being violent there are some fans I do not associate with and can see bring up up trouble (particularly the younger, ignorant fans of the new generation). But I see this being more possible to happen in Bucharest however since despite what you say the atmosphere on stadiums there can get pretty crazy.
    And yeah, I read about the "original" Steaua. Not sure how the name issue is nowadays but it seems that at least UEFA still recognizes you as Steaua and not FCSB. This reminds me a bit of the Man Utd story around the time the Glazers bought the team, all respective differences aside. Haven't heard of the "original" Manchester in many years. The only kinda successful story I know about regarding name ownerships is that of Wimbledon vs. MK Dons. Seems (the now called) AFC Wimbledon is going up through the ranks. I wonder if the same ever happens between the two "Stars" of Bucharest. Would there be bloodshed?

I don't take your chances opinion in a bad way. You can't really compare our budget to that of Sevilla, Napoli or Liverpool at all. Or even the recent success of those teams (Liverpool aside, ofc).

We had a hard time beating Setúbal at home on Friday. We actually played quite ok but we need to be way more objective when it comes to turning opportunities into goals.
    I read that you've just tied with Astra at home though, that's worse for morale. Also a shame that Teixeira seems to have gotten seriously injured, I was already thinking of him being flash-interviewed after the game as it usually happens when we play against a foreign team and they have a Portuguese player among their ranks. But not mostly because of that of course, despite his age he is still a very influential player in your team from what I know from this season so far and I kinda feel bad his career never went in a more fortunate direction. I still remember him at PSG.

In any case, good luck for Tuesday. May the best team on the field win

Ah, RB are just money. I wouldn't be so negative regarding that draw. It's not the Leipzig side after all.

(Btw, is Coman with Viitorul still? I don't know what happened, I stopped following the transfers market at a certain point but he didn't end up in Benfica after all. Good for him! Maybe a more serious team like ours can now get him just to piss them off - though that's really more the common practice of Porto)
    I didn't mean to say that Dinamo's fans are unemployed, just that they are employed by Dinamo to create coreographies and stugg. I meant that they have an official galery and we don't. The draw against Astra is not concludent as we played with reserves.... Btw, I really have to quote Gigi Becali after the draw: "I asked Mihai Stoica what does he want and he said CSKA Moscow! I asked Denis Alibec what does he want and he said Sporting! And then I said, Denis scores the goals so he knows better! So, I talked to God and asked Him to give us Sporting and so He did! God created the world, so a football match is a peace of cake for Him! We are going to win the UEFA Champions League!"

It's not only Steaua, it's a phenomenon in Romania. We have ASU Poli Timisoara (the real Poli Timisoara) in Liga 2 and FC Universitatea Craiova (the real Universitatea Craiova in Liga 4). Also, a lot of tradion teams that declared bankrupcy have been revived by the fans and the socios nature, so we have UTA Arad, FC Arges Pitesti and Ripensia Timisoara in Liga 2, Otelul Galati, Farul Constanta, Petrolul Ploiesti, Progresul Bucharest and "U" Cluj in Liga 3 and Sportul Studentesc Bucharest, Rapid Bucharest and Carmen Bucharest in Liga 4.

Florinel Coman is still playing for Viitorul but he had a "conflict" with Hagi and is now at Viitorul 2.
    Likes  Edward liked this post

10. Junkie
    Portugal

It sounded funnier the way I interpreted your words though

About the galleries...I hope it's not like here in Portugal. Both Porto and our team have several officially recognized galleries but Benfica says that is has none When everyone knows they have the worst ones in fact because several of the members have a criminal past, many did time even. Benfica actually supports them logistically and financially but "officially" galleries like Diabos Vermelhos and No Name Boys (murderers) don't exist, they are just regular supporters like that sweet family of four or that cute couple in the standings, you know
    This is actually a hot topic right now here in Portugal.

Yes, I just realized that you played with the reserves some time after I wrote that post. And hahaha, seems Gigi is skipping his medication
    I'm curious to see the likes of Alibec, Pintilii, etc. to play tomorrow, I still have a good image of the Euro 2016 national team. They might have not gone far but they gave their all on the pitch. That's the same I expect from Steaua tomorrow or at least in Bucharest. The difference in overall team quality should be easy to notice but if Steaua plays with the typical intensity of Romanian formations then we should be up for a couple of interesting matches.

Well, that's way deeper of an issue than what I'd know. I've heard about Otelul's "comeback" Rapid's downfall was pretty quick and harsh, huh? And Carmen? Seriously? Now that's an...interesting name for a football team.
    In here such problems don't exist. I can only think of Académica, they have a team playing in the 3rd tier that is compromised by players that study in University of Coimbra. Such team existed first and represents what Académica is known as in Portugal, as the "students" team. Also the big teams from Madeira, they have squads using the same name as the main teams but these compete in a regional division with their ranks being made up of islanders for the most part.

By the way, I wonder about this whenever I see the number of caps most Romanian players of the current generation have...what's with the low amount of caps? It's hard to see a player with more than some 20 caps except for a handful of them. Is the national team constantly being renewed or what's the matter?
    It's the total opposite of Hagi's generation times, I remember most of that squad because it was almost always the same players. While nowadays...

What's the deal with Florinel? Acting all big washed up superstar or the actual superstar started something up?