Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Your home town

1. Junkie
    Spain

Re: Your home town

Yesterday we live in Catalonia (Spain) the most important snow we remember in more than 20 years. It was snowing with a lot of intensity during more than 12 hours. The most important ways to France have been colapsed since this morning and Barcelona road were empty of cars abondoned by after their owners had spend hours in the same postion trying to leave the city.

Here some photos of Girona in white
    Probably this photo were taken at the morning or afternoon but it had been snowing until 21:00 hours

Miquel Santaló Square

Rambles of Girona

The stone's bridge at the Old Town of Girona

Girona's streets

Girona inspires me LOVE

Onyar's River and Old Town

The bikes

Girona's streets

A beautiful photo for desktop :P

Finally a photo of Catalonia snowed by satellite

SEE YOU!!!!!

2. Legend
    Ukraine

^ cool!
    seeing such weather in Catalonia, in March is definitely outstanding
    We're having snow too here on the South, it's -10*C currently ))) probably the same amount though it's considered a small amount here. I like snow

http://y2u.be/leopt__ATR0

3. Admin Schmadmin
    United States

A few pictures from Orlando, FL

This is Lake Eola. YOu can find me there at least 3 times a week jogging my ass of. IT's a beautiful place though.

This is City Walk which is part of Universal Studios. That's where you go if you want to hit the bars and just have a good time.

Downtown Disney is always a good place to go, I especially recommend cirque du soleil.

Those are some of my favorite places in orlando.

4. Junkie
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by AlekS
    ^ cool!
    seeing such weather in Catalonia, in March is definitely outstanding
    We're having snow too here on the South, it's -10*C currently ))) probably the same amount though it's considered a small amount here. I like snow
    ^I like snow too, but when all streets are empty of snow, schools have to close. When the snow brokes 32 towers of electricity and people have beeing more than 36 hours without electricity and mobile phones doesn't go well. I couldn't fund my mum
    Yesterday my mum go to work at the school but after a few hours she came back home, after she arrived the road for she arrived get colapsed of snow and cars and was closed.
    Yesterday and today all schools have beeing closed and my mum also hasn't work .

I get in panic when after 10 hours of snowing it seemed that it won't change it. We all know this is nothing according what snows in eastern and northern countries but here we are not prepared to it.
    We don't have many snowplow. For example 100 members of militay force have arrived to help us.

5. Ninja
    Romania

A little town in Transilvania

-the name of the city come from an ancient word "dava" meaning "fortress"
    - it was a Dacian fortress in ancient times,called Dacidava
    -The Fortress is located on a top of a volcanic hill
    -the home of Romania's national women gymnastics training centre, "Cetate Deva"

6. Banned
    Greece

Here are some photos of Thessaloniki. It's not my home town but it's the city I currently live in.
    Thessaloniki is the second largest Greek city and the capital of the region of Macedonia. It is sometimes referred as co-capital (if there is such a term) of Greece. This "honour" was attributed due to the important role the city held as part of the Byzantine Empire. This is the reason for the numerous Byzantine monuments that can be found across the city. The population, including the suburbs, reaches 1.000.000. The city was founded around 315 BC by Kassandros, King of Macedon. He was married to the sister of Alexander the Great, Thessaloniki, so he named the city after her (how romantic.. ).

The most distinctive monument of Thessaloniki is the not so white "White Tower". Actually it used to be a jail during the Ottoman rule but when we got control of the city again in early 20th century, we washed it white.

Another important monument is the statue of Alexander the Great:

This is an aerial view of the most important square of the city, Aristotle Square:

The square inspired a great Absolut ad:

The motto of the city is "Halara" which means smoothly. People here in Thessaloniki have their own way of dealing with things, they are usually relaxed and cool. If they feel like it, they grab a frappe' (iced coffee) and go by the seaside to have some precious smooth moments (or sometimes hours ) This is one of the reasons I love this city. I put my sneakers on, I take my ipod and off to the seaside. It is about 2 hours of "smooth" walk to go from one part to the other or 1 hour of jogging if you prefer. Sometimes in the evening my friends and I grab a couple of beers and sit by the seaside talking by the hours "philosophizing" about life and love.

All the above monuments and many more can be seen by simply crossing the seaside.

Finally, here are some aerial photos of the city:

There are hundreds of songs written for this city, more than any other greek city. I hope I have given you an idea about why this is happening.

7. Ninja
    Romania

Salonic is indeed a nice city. We went in Greece 2 years ago on holiday and visited Thessaloniki too. We were all like " ok ,im going to move here". very nice !!

8. Banned
    Greece

Quote Originally Posted by Blush
    Salonic is indeed a nice city. We went in Greece 2 years ago on holiday and visited Thessaloniki too. We were all like " ok ,im going to move here". very nice !!
    Ha! This is exactly what I said when I visited Bra?ov a couple of years ago. I've only said this for Bra?ov and Edinburgh. I also have a feeling that I am going to say this for Bruges which i plan to visit. As you can understand, Thessaloniki is indeed a beautiful city but I'd prefer a town or at least a smaller city to live in.

I have been to Greece many times and always find something new. Such a fascinating and beautiful country

10. Banned
    Greece

^ Thank you for your kind words.
    Why don't you tell us something about Birmingham? It's more interesting to find out things about a place from someone who lives there than seeking information on the internet.

Page 2 of 49 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast