Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: NSC 174 in Serenes ✿ Natia Crossing ✿ Semi 1 ✿ DDL 15-10 23:59 CEST

1. Wizard
    Japan

Re: NSC 174 in Serenes ✿ Natia Crossing ✿ Semi 1 ✿ DDL 15-10 23:59 CEST

Actually a host disappeared in NSC 40 #nscnerdfacts

Oh and NSC 0 of course. Never forget the legendary Miembro Fantasma. The foundation of this entire Contest was on an ambitious project that a host abandoned

But seriously, hosting is tough, and for fairly little reward in terms of reaction these days. I agree with a lot of the points raised but remember, Karhu put together a show which demonstrated the effort he put in, and also mentioned that he was going to be busy before the hosting anyway. That’s a lot of pressure on one person! People who are impatient for some NSC action, we can easily provide our own: predictions, reviews, activity for Congratulations... There’s still plenty of NSC hype we can create for ourselves that’s just as interesting as results, just there’s much less of it these days...

In the meantime, hope everything’s OK Karhu! We’ll understand when you come through, and we’re looking forward to it

2. Senior Member
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by dogmeat View Post
    I think you're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. In almost 200 editions we've had only a handful of hosts missing for a few days and none missing for good. Even if it happens in near future, we could just do a revote. And doing a revote once in 200 editions would be less of a hassle than sending a copy of our votes every single edition (and making sure everybody remembers to do so)
    I actually think pjelacki's idea is pretty good. I've argued for it in ISC on the other forum before, though for different reasons. It would help avoid wrongful qualifications and other errors in the counting.

I also completely agree with takeru. Hosting NSC (or most contests) is a pretty ungrateful job, and a very daunting one at that too.

About communication, yeah, I agree, it would be nice, but sometimes there's not even time for that, which is the case at the moment, trust me.
    Likes  Chickflopia, AshleyWright liked this post

3. Wizard
    Serbia

End the suffering.

Quote Originally Posted by dogmeat View Post
    I think you're looking for a solution to a problem that doesn't exist. In almost 200 editions we've had only a handful of hosts missing for a few days and none missing for good. Even if it happens in near future, we could just do a revote. And doing a revote once in 200 editions would be less of a hassle than sending a copy of our votes every single edition (and making sure everybody remembers to do so)
    and when would you say should we decide to go for a revote? After 1 week, 2 weeks, a month? I am afraid that disappearing hosts can very well inflict a lot of damage to NSC and its reputation even if it happens only once.

Instead of asking everybody to send their votes to an additional volunteer/mod/co-host also (which certainly like 20% of the roster will forget to do, including me sometimes probably), how about creating a new account - similar to what WV has? Then grant all mods and the current host access to this account.

The host would still have the privilege to present the results within an agreed amount of time post deadline. Except now there would be 2-3 non-hosting participants who already know the results beforehand and that's only when they cave and peek at the votes.

There would be no additional requirements for any of the other participants. You would just have to remember to send your votes to this central account instead of the host.

disclaimer: not saying I've thought this through to the end properly, just throwing ideas around and maybe someone can elaborate?
    Likes  LesterMalvo, Veronika, theditz83 liked this post

5. Guru
    United States

I'd like to apologize to everyone for my failures as a host this edition. I was really looking forward to hosting NSC for the first time, but my real life obligations made it absolutely impossible for me to devote the time and, more importantly, energy and spirit to do so successfully. It's sad because I knew my schedule this month was going to be difficult, yet I, stubbornly, still accepted the hosting duties thinking I somehow could make it work. I see now that it's just not possible, and it's unfair to everyone for me to keep dragging it out.

Fortunately, the delegations from Aimūlli and Lacrea have graciously offered to step in and help complete the hosting, beginning with the presentation of the semi-final qualifiers. Negotiations are still ongoing, but further information will be provided very shortly.

Once again, I'm terribly sorry for everything.

6. Senior Member
    Belgium

Don't worry about it, Karhu, really. The most important thing is that we know now, and that I know you're fine. <3

I'll try to make the rest of this edition go smoothly, but I hope you understand it's gonna be pretty barebones. Unless Lonter hosts the results today, I will probably host them tomorrow afternoon, if that's okay for everyone.
    Likes  Veronika, Gera11 liked this post

7. Legend
    Sweden

Yeah, I am glad you are okay at least @Karhu! And life goes first, I am sure you will get a new chance hosting in the future, possibly also when you got a little more time!

8. Veteran
    Germany

Don't worry karhu, we accept your apologies. At least you explained your situation precisely and you did what every host in a difficult situation like this should do – asking for help and hand the hosting over to other users to keep the contest running.
    Likes  AshleyWright liked this post

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345