Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your music history

1. Addict
    Estonia

Re: Your music history

If I was going to write in detail about music in my life, it would take ages, so I'll try do to a summary

The first songs I remember really liking were some early-mid 90's Estonian eurodance tracks when I was about 6. There was this show that I watched, 7 Vaprat (you can check out videos on Youtube) that had artists perform their songs while people could vote for them, they had 7 songs and the 2 lowest scoring ones would be replaced with 2 new ones every week. It was a huge deal in 90's Estonian music, pretty much every artist was there at some point and it lasted well into the 2000's. Of course, the post-occupation Estonian music scene/industry itself was just starting out and rapidly growing back then and that definitely influenced my interest in music. That was also probably why so much of our 90's pop was sort of electronic - because it sounded "new", there was really no electronic music in the Soviet era.

I didn't come across a lot of non-Estonian music at this point. I was largely exposed to foreign music in 1998, for two reasons: getting a cassette radio for my birthday and because Muusika Sinule, a music video show, started on one of the TV channels. 1998 to about 2002 (basically my "tween"/early teen years) was the most influential musical period for me, I also started trying to write my own music at this time. Initially, at 10 or so, I had a more random taste - I continued to listen to eurodance like E-type, liked some of those remixes of old disco/eurodisco tracks with rap verses like N-Trance's Staying Alive and Modern Talking's new versions, and I was a fan of Aqua (Aquarium was the first album I owned, also a gift). I still like some of their songs, there's actually a lot of variety (although I remember not caring much for Barbie Girl even back then lol). I also became more familiar with hip-hop now, the Estonian all-star group A-Rühm was formed then and I heard some American stuff (although I've generally preferred European hip-hop, it tends to put more emphasis on the music/instrumental which I like more).

When I was 12, two electronic music stations started broadcasting and introduced me to more specific genres and less mainstream stuff. Trance and modern electro (electronic music+hip-hop, essentially) both had their peaks around the late 90's/turn of the century; I already sort of knew Music Instructor (one of my favorite artists ever) and I also discovered Bomfunk MC's (as well as other JS16 -produced music like Darude), alongside artists like Caater (an Estonian trance group), Flying Steps, DJ Quicksilver, Mauro Picotto... I didn't really have bias against any music just because it was 'popular' or because of stereotypes (and I mostly cared about whether a song appealed to me regardless of its genre), so there was a lot of different music that I liked, for example the Cheiron Studios pop sound of Max Martin, Denniz Pop, Rami Yacoub etc. that was also copied by other songwriters of the time (you know, early Britney Spears and various boybands like Five, that stuff). In fact, Larger Than Life by Backstreet Boys and Stronger by Britney Spears are among my favorite songs next to the likes of On the Move by Barthezz or Music Instructor's Super Fly. There were also some other dance genres that weren't my favorites but I still liked (for example italo house). And while I wasn't much of a rock fan there was some rock/metal that I somewhat listened to, like Terminaator who I first saw on 7 Vaprat around 1995 and who pretty much defined rock for me, some of those Limp Bizkit and other songs that fused hip-hop with rock and metal, plus Within Temptation.

Several trends had changed by 2003, for example trance was replaced by house as the most popular electronic genre; in my teens I had this nostalgia period when I thought all current music sucks and whatnot (although I ended up growing out of it, so I find it funny seeing people who insist that it actually is like this). But in 2004, I did finally get internet access in my home (I had previously used internet cafes and such) and now I could get most of the music I grew up with "on demand" for the first time, through the p2p services of the day like Kazaa Lite. It may be weird for a younger person but having access to the music you liked wasn't always easy back in the day, especially it was rarer. I used to record music from the radio constantly and a lot of my music memories are waiting for a specific song to record it. I couldn't always buy any album that I wanted and lot of that music wouldn't be available here anyway, not to mention not always knowing the titles/artists of the songs. Now that I had internet, I tried to make sure what songs those were and it took quite an effort (lot of them are instrumental and it wasn't easy to search Google for lyrics anyway back then). I also got cable and started watching some foreign music channels like French MCM and German VIVA and liked some of the music there, that was pretty much my main source for new music then (much of it was hip-hop; it included Kenza Farah, Soprano, Sido, D!Nation (an overstay from the electro period), Monrose, ASD)

I eventually got over that nostalgic bias (growing up thing, mostly, and learning a lot more about music) and discovered a lot of impressive new music. In general, my music tastes are evolving rather than outright changing like with some people, so I continue to like most of the stuff that I've liked in the past while being open to new music.

Some examples in chronological order:
    Likes  tomos2019 liked this post

Kaelakee Hääl 1996 Unbroken 2015 Supersonic 2016

2. Ninja
    Germany

Interesting that dance/house/techno of the 90s (not only Eurodance) was popular in Estonia too. I always thought it was mainly a mid-Europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands...) thing. I liked Eurodance a lot too during the 90s (I didn't mention that) and still like some stuff of it these days. But it's something that reminds me of my teen years, it was much more significant back then.
    I feel the sun upon my skin
    And I am someone, I am someone

3. Addict
    Estonia

Quote Originally Posted by midnightsun View Post
    Interesting that dance/house/techno of the 90s (not only Eurodance) was popular in Estonia too. I always thought it was mainly a mid-Europe (Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Netherlands...) thing. I liked Eurodance a lot too during the 90s (I didn't mention that) and still like some stuff of it these days. But it's something that reminds me of my teen years, it was much more significant back then.
    Yeah, it was popular in loads of countries (although which electronic genres exactly varied by region; for example, it seems that southern Europe like France and Italy was much more fond of house while trance ruled the northern parts). The Nordic countries had several popular acts like Antiloop, there are lots of Russian comments on many of 90's dance videos on Youtube so they were obviously successful there and as for Estonia, the trends here were influenced by Germany and the Nordics a lot. And the 90's were the time when electronic music massively branched out and became really popular, so it makes sense.

Kaelakee Hääl 1996 Unbroken 2015 Supersonic 2016

4. Ninja
    Germany

Yeah, you're right. Back then in times without internet (although I started surfing the net in our local internet café in 1996 but it was more about chatting in chat rooms) I didn't become aware of what was popular in any other country (except for some exceptions). My only link to other countries was Eurovision!
    Likes  Daybreak liked this post

I feel the sun upon my skin
    And I am someone, I am someone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12