Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Lookback - Your Favourite Albums and Songs + Vinyl Purchases

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Legend
    UK

2018 Lookback - Your Favourite Albums and Songs + Vinyl Purchases

2018 is coming to an end, and it's that time again where we look back and think "wow, what a great year for music", or bad year perhaps even. What have been your favourite songs and records released this year? @DaFlo I know you got some (you were waiting for this topic so knock yourself out<3). All of you are ordered to tell me and everyone else here your musical highlights of this year. 3, 2, 1...... GO! (you can make an album art collage here)

For me personally it's been an amazing year. One of the best I can ever remember actually in terms of new releases by my favourite artists and bands. 2018 saw some of my biggest, most trusted favourites like Kurt Vile, Marianne Faithfull, Part Time and Dessa release new stuff. I also made a few great fresh discoveries *looks in Gavlyn, Demrick and DJ Hoppa's direction*. Can't forget randomly falling in love with Andrew W.K. as well, god bless him. I certainly haven't been perfect this year in terms of trying out new music, but I think i've been a bit better than usual. Still too much cherry picking for my liking. Next year my resolution is to try more music, and be more adventurous whilst doing so. Anyway, these are my favourite records of 2018, BEHOLD:

1. King Tuff - The Other

My favourite album of 2018 is a surprise. Not that I don't love King Tuff as he's always been one of my favourite American garage rockers. I just wasn't expecting a record of this maturity from him. Tuff is up there in the garage rock scene with Nobunny and Hunx in terms of craziness. He's a hugely eccentric character. He was also exhausted, lost and depressed. He reached a very dark point in his life and these songs deal with that in such an honest way without losing any of the character he's known for. We see King Tuff standing on the cusp of light here, and he does step through into better times but not before putting his heart on a plate for us with the brave opening track which also stands as the albums title. The Other is a glorious record. These psych rock bops are sunshine soaked, but everything is so weighty and beautiful. You can feel the emotions. King Tuff found himself again and nothing was lost. Just pure gains. Everything here is glistening. Taking that turmoil and turning it into something resplendently beautiful. King Tuff on!

2. Marianne Faithfull - Negative Capability

A new Marianne Faithfull release is always like a holy experience for me. This was my most anticipated release of the year, even ahead of Soap&Skin's new one, and it certainly didn't disappoint. If 2014's Give My Love To London was epic and jubilant, Negative Capability is the more mournful and melancholic cousin. In fact, it's a terribly sad record. Marianne has lost friends, continues to battle with poor health, and the terror attacks on the doorstep of her adopted home of Paris have been on her mind. It's a raw and very frank collection of songs. I must have listened to Don't Go about twenty to thirty times in a row on the day of the albums release. I was fixated and still am.

3. Soap&Skin - From Gas To Solid / You Are My Friend

I waited almost seven damn years for this thing. In 2012 Anja Plaschg released the album Narrow, a collection of mostly piano ballads, incredibly dark and sad. That record was a defining point for me and to this day it still probably remains my favourite album of all time. A lot has changed in these seven years for Anja, and From Gas To Solid / You Are My Friend is what happens when a very dark and tortured psyche finds some light. The lead single Heal sets the tone wonderfully. It's lush, it's achingly beautiful, haunting, raw, sincere.. all the things Soap&Skin's music was before, but it's hopeful now. Her music is so dear to me. From Gas To Solid / You Are My Friend is perhaps not exactly what I wanted after waiting seven years for the follow up to my favourite album of all time, but it's what I needed. It's a touching experience.

4. Sadistik - Salo Sessions II

In case you can't tell already from the scandalous cover art, this album is dark stuff, even by Sadistik's pitch black standards. It's macabre and twisted in a way that's suffocatingly so. The original Salo Sessions dropped a couple of years back. This new one was a rabbit hole I was a bit hesitant to go down at first, but I kept playing it and playing, and gosh I just couldn't stop. I even ended up loving a remixed version of his song Perseus that features a super weird verse by Slug Ü Christ. At first I was thinking ".... what's this?". Now every time I hear it i'm swaying. This mini album from Sadistik is so damn good. Try it if you dare.

5. Dessa - Chime

The latest gorgeous album from my favourite Doomtree MC. It's a record in which string sections and hard beats, with verses spat out more reminiscent of her Doomtree stuff, all breathe together as one. It's unpredictable. You've got lushly orchestrated songs like Velodrome, delivered by Dessa in a spoken word delivery, coexisting besides fierce shit like the gritty 5 Out Of 6. Somehow it all works in such an organic kind of way. I'm dumb but I feel like i'm getting brain cells delivered to my head courtesy of NASA whenever I put this record on. Dessa is so up there in terms of smarts but she's so fricking down to earth on the mother funking floor that it would be impossible to find anyone delivering this kind of stuff who is more welcoming and easy to appreciate. Chime is a tremendously likeable record.

6. Kurt Vile - Bottle It In | 7. Gavlyn - Headspace | 8. Part Time - Spell #6 | 9. Kali Uchis - Isolation | 10. Lemon Twigs - Go To School

Andrew W.K. - You're Not Alone | Poppy - Am I A Girl? | Shy Boys - Bell House | Aaron Lee Tasjan - Karma For Cheap
    Shannon Shaw - Shannon In Nashville | Luluc - Sculptor | Demrick - Stoney Point 2 | Jorge Elbrecht - Here Lies
    Yoko Ono - Warzone | Amerie - After 4AM / 4AM Mullholand | Jorja Smith - Lost & Found | Adam Ackerman - Autobiologist
    Ty Segall - Freedom's Goblin | Silent Poets - Dawn | Michael Rault - It's a New Day Tonight | Mitski - Be The Cowboy | Teyana Taylor - K.T.S.E.

2. Legend
    San Marino

Re: 2018 Lookback - Your Favourite Albums and Songs

My favorite thread of the year has returned <3 Oh and it's been an amzing year. New icons arrived, amazing release nights and artists I already loved slaying once again. Ofc there were a few disappointments, but such is life. What sticks with me the most from this year have to be the Wyoming albums in June. 5 albums in 5 weeks, with iconic listening partys livestreamed every Friday. Watching bonfire and horses for two hours in the middle of the night waiting for Kanye to finally play his album <3 But oh boy was it worth it. What followed was an experience. There is no better way to have your first album listen than watching the artist and friends and family vibe out to it. Special s/o to the Nasir stream that froze when the first song started tho :'D

Too bad Rainy and me seem like the only people in this forum who are so much into new music releases and albums. Bless us. I hope more people will share their fav albums and songs, it's a very hawt thing to do. Anyway without further ado ...

Ladies and gentlemen Flow presents to you
    Flow's top 10 albums of 2018

───── 10 ─────

6LACK - East Atlanta Love Letter

Favorite song - "Switch"

───── 09 ─────

Metro Boomin - Not All Heroes Wear Capes

Favorite song - "No More"

───── 08 ─────

Travis Scott - Astroworld

Favorite song - "Stop Trying To Be God"

───── 07 ─────

Cardi B - Invasion of Privacy

Favorite song - "I Like It"

───── 06 ─────

Pusha T - Daytona

Favorite song - "If You Know You Know"

───── 05 ─────

Kanye West - ye

Favorite song - "Ghost Town"

───── 04 ─────

Kali Uchis - Isolation

Favorite song - "Miami"

───── 03 ─────

Lali - Brava

Favorite song - "Sin Querer Queriendo"

───── 02 ─────

Annalisa - Bye Bye

Favorite song - "Il Mondo Prima Di Te"

───── 01 ─────

Kids See Ghosts - Kids See Ghosts

Favorite song - "Cudi Montage"

── Best of the rest ──

A$AP Rocky - Testing
    Ana Mena - Index
    Ella Mai - Ella Mai
    Hayley Kiyoko - Expectations
    Janelle MonŠe - Dirty Computer
    Mac Miller - Swimming
    Nas - Nasir
    Swae Lee - Swaecation
    Teyana Taylor - K.T.S.E.
    Tinashe - Joyride
    Various Artists - Black Panther: The Album

(alpabetical order)

─────

Now the question remains, what are we looking forward to in 2019?

All Love 💖✨🙌

3. Legend
    UK

Woah, that's the stuff right there. A slay collage. Bless the Wyoming albums for giving us Tayana Taylor's "K.T.S.E.". I think Kanye must have exhausted himself from that quintet of albums, cause Yandi went AWOL and a wild "I Love It" appeared. He needs to be quick though cause I heard something called MCIV is soon coming.

I'm worried next year is not going to be as good... well, at least not as easy. I think i've only got Weyes Blood and Mikal Cronin on the horizon from my big faves, whereas this year I was given so much that I didn't even properly process a lot of it. I'll try and make 2019 a discovery year.

4. Legend
    UK

King Tuff - The Other
    Marianne Faithfull - Don't Go
    Soap&Skin - Surrounded

Soap&Skin This Day
    The Lemon Twigs - Lonely
    Marianne Faithfull - The Gypsy Faerie Queen
    Dessa - Velodrome
    Andrew W.K. - Music Is Worth Living For
    Kurt Vile - Loading Zones
    Sadistik - Heaven's Gate Away Team

Sadistik - Kerosene Dreams
    Demrick - Love Me Now
    Silent Poets - Asylums For The Feeling (Feat. Leila Adu)
    Soap&Skin - Safe With Me
    King Tuff - Raindrop Blue

Chromatics - Blue Girl
    Jorge Elbrecht - Wash Away With The Rain
    Gavlyn - Headspace
    King Tuff - Psycho Star
    Aaron Lee Tasjan - Songbird

Part Time - Hide
    King Tuff - Circuits In The Sand
    Kurt Vile - Cold Was The Wind
    Soap&Skin - Heal
    Homeboy Sandman & Edan - #NeverUseTheInternetAgain
    Sadistik - Crown
    Shannon Shaw - Golden Frames
    Luluc - Sculptor
    MNEK - Tongue
    Sadistik - Yokai
    Sadistik - Echoes (Feat. Deacon The Villain)
    Sadistik - Crown
    Sadistik - The Way Down (Feat. Trizz)
    Shy Boys - Take The Doggie
    Poppy - Aristocrat (Feat. Garibay)
    Kim Wilde - Kandy Krush
    Marianne Faithfull - No Moon In Paris
    The Distillers - Man vs. Magnet
    Sarah Bethe Nelson - Hazy
    SoBs - Telltale Signs
    Marianne Faithfull - Loneliest Person
    Poppy - Hard Feelings
    Poppy - Time Is Up
    Michael Rault - Sleep With Me
    Part Time - Spell #6
    Andrew W.K. - You're Not Alone
    Demrick - OJ (Feat. Gavlyn)
    King Tuff - Through The Cracks
    Adam Ackerman - Believe
    Gavlyn - Looking Back (Feat. Reverie & Vel The Wonder)
    A Perfect Circle - Disillusioned
    Jorge Elbrecht - Oceans Alive
    Dessa - 5 Out of 6
    Teyana Taylor - No Manners
    Kendrick Lamar & SZA - All The Stars
    Parting Lines - Climb
    Mac Miller - Come Back To Earth
    Kali Uchis - Just a Stranger (feat. Steve Lacy)
    The Heartfelts - Can I Come By
    Angelic Milk - Acid & Coca-Cola
    Angelic Milk - When The Limousines Pass By
    Mitski - Nobody
    Kali Uchis - After The Storm (Feat. Tyler, the Creator)
    Trixie Mattel - The Well
    E-Turn - Nowadays
    Gian Marco - Besame
    Kanye West - Ghost Town
    MNEK - Colours (Feat. Hailee Steinfeld)
    Marianne Faithfull - Born To Live
    Part Time - I Can Treat You Better (Feat. Ariel Pink)
    Malibu Ken - Corn Maze
    Lauren Harries - Upadoo
    Blair St. Clair - Call My Life
    La-Roc - Forever

TOPIC INTENSIFIES. I put together all my favourite songs of 2018. I tried to order things into a top 30, although it's very hard and I didn't spend too long thinking about it. The songs in the smaller text are the best of the rest and in no particular order.

The hardest part was choosing what would be my number 1 song of the year, as I changed my mind with what I thought it was going to be originally. I thought Marianne Faithfull's stunning Don't Go had it in the bag, but that lil' King Tuff song up there means so much to me. The lyrics are poetry. It's a song about losing your way and all hope that you had, looking for meaning and then finding yourself again. I'm a sucker for when someone is this honest with their music. Nothing else on his new album is like it musically speaking and so it was an extremely bold move to have it open with this song. The Other is such a mesmerizing psych-ballad. A pivotal turning point for one of the best garage rockers in the game.

Whole year though overall was just amazing. I love all those songs I mentioned, and I'm sure I'm missing out quite a few others too.

5. Legend
    San Marino

Oh we talking songs of the year now?

Btw did you see Obama's fav songs of 2018? Kurt and Cardi represent
    All Love 💖✨🙌

6. Legend
    UK

This topic is aliiiiiive. I did see that Obama list actually (weird Kurt song choice though). Stereogum posted it. Kurt's friend Courtney Barnett also on it.

I noticed we both decided to be discriminatory towards Eurovision songs in our lists as Lithuanian bop of the year That Girl by Kotryna Juodzevičiūtė is absent.

7. Legend
    San Marino

Quote Originally Posted by RainyWoods View Post
    I noticed we both decided to be discriminatory towards Eurovision songs in our lists as Lithuanian bop of the year That Girl by Kotryna Juodzevičiūtė is absent.
    The absolute scandal

But yea I never put ESC related songs in my end lists, otherwise Fuego/Na Pati would surely be there as well.

Kotryna might soon shine in Baltic sisters Spin Off xhat *scandalous promo even though I know you on break but iconic spin off happening*
    All Love 💖✨🙌

8. Legend
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by DaFlo View Post
    The absolute scandal

But yea I never put ESC related songs in my end lists, otherwise Fuego/Na Pati would surely be there as well.

Kotryna might soon shine in Baltic sisters Spin Off xhat *scandalous promo even though I know you on break but iconic spin off happening*
    It feels kind of wrong separating ESC songs from everything else......... at the same time though it feels kind of right? My mind is in a completely different mode when I'm thinking Eurovision. I don't think I would have included anything Eurovision in my list though (at least from what actually made it to Eurovision). Really bad ESC for me (besides Lithuania's NF).

I must confess that's a very on point spin-off theme as well

9. Legend
    San Marino

Topic intensifies 2.0

Got my first ever vinyls .. am emotion

All Love 💖✨🙌

10. Legend
    UK

Re: 2018 Lookback - Your Favourite Albums and Songs + Vinyl Purchases

@DaFlo Wow this is now the 2018 Lookback - Your Favourite Albums and Songs + Vinyl Purchases topic. That's very cool how you've picked up your first vinyl records Flo, and what choices. The Kali Uchis one looks gorgeous. I want that. I love the sexy album art. Do you have a record player now? Collecting vinyl is fun but it can also get kind of pricey, especially when it comes to picking up your favourite new releases. But then that's exactly all I do, just pick up my favourite new releases from time to time. If i'm passionately in love with a record I'll solidify that love by owning it on vinyl.

I only got one vinyl this year and I haven't even opened it yet. I'm waiting to buy a better record player first as my old one was made by Fisher-Price or something, and it was scratching up my records. This King Tuff vinyl I treated myself to and imported from America. It's a special limited losers edition. The vinyl is see-through and with a marble print. It also came with a t-shirt which i've been wearing and some stickers. It will be a lush experience in 2027 when I rip off that factory seal and spin the vinyl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast