Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: The disappointing results of metal entries

  1. Junkie
    Sweden
    Fluke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,654
    Location
    Sweden
    #1

    Crown The disappointing results of metal entries

    I'm not really a metal fan, and even in Eurovision i tend to find rock bands out of place overall - even so, i've been a big supporter of the respective metal entries in the last two years, and of course disappointed by the result.

    When Ukraine chose O.Torvald, i thought it was an incredibly bold move for a country associated with pretty much one particular type of entry, and they did it RIGHT! For a while i really thought they might do the impossible and win two years in a row, against all odds, but the lead vocals failed in the final performance, and the result was no shock in the end. But still, it was the best metal entry since Turkey 2010, who of course came second place, a feat nobody came close to since.

    Then this year, of course, AWS rocked the house - despite almost being last in odds charts, i seriously thought that they would bring the contest home, and even the not-usually--rock-digging Wiwibloggs team put them in the top 5 contenders to win. And boy, they DELIVERED! The song is the perfect culmination of metal in the ESC format, structurally similar to the previous year's effort but at once poppier and more brutal, and even being non-English doesn't seem to be a barrier, as even many non-Eurofans seemed to be affected by the emotion of the song. Their highly visual performance was one of the highlights in a night of one disappointing performance after another. And yet.... what happened?

    When the juries ranked them so low, i gave up hoping, i knew they wouldn't get high televote points either. Sure i had other favorites, and i was thankful to God that Cyprus didn't win, but i just don't get why didn't Hungary do better? Both of these entries didn't even make the top 20.

    Why are metal entries hardly getting any points, when it worked in 2010 and several times before that? Obviously it's down to the individual entries and their performance on the big night, but i got a feeling that wasn't the reason here. Has everyone who apprecciates metal stopped watching, or just gotten to appreciate other genres enough not to care for these entries? Has the attitude to musical variety and the preferences of staging changed so much since? Why do you think they both ended up so low?
    Likes  BernadetteCydonia liked this post
     
    You a furry too? Join facebook.com/groups/EuroFurs

  2. Expert
    Germany
    Realest's Avatar
    Gender
    Male
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,374
    Location
    Germany
    #2

    Re: The disappointing results of metal entries

    Well, O.Torwald sounded a bit like a Linkinpark B-Side and the male vocalist had bad vocals. 24th is still too bad, but not surprising. He wouldnt have qualified if he competed in the Semi. But in my eyes its not even metal btw.

    AWS Results was actually a Surprise. Even the Televote was a huge Surprise regarding that the only big Points came from the Hungarians who live in the Neighbourcountries. Maybe it was a bit too hard for Eurovisionfans.

    Turkey 2010 had a great vocalist and had universe Appeal, so it worked (even outside the Countries with big turkish Population).

    Finand 2008 is missing in this list.. But this Song didnt have a strong composition and the finnish language is the most unpronouncable Language in the World, so it didnt work well. But the Final-Qualification was success enough I guess.
    Likes  BernadetteCydonia liked this post
     
    Shine, shine like the stars in the sky
    Wipe the dust off your love, let it shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

  3. Wizard
    Brazil
    anaraqueen's Avatar
    Gender
    Female
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,615
    Location
    come to brazil
    #3

    Re: The disappointing results of metal entries

    The vocalist of O. Torvald was as charismatic as my broken nail so i'm not surprised by the result, even though i like the song.

    But if you told me a month ago that AWS would be semi 2's borderline qualifier i would never believe it. i'm shocked they did so low in the televote and being below top 20 overall. I expected at least a top 5, even top 10.

    I know juries are not open to the genre, idk why. Even Turkey 2010, who finished 2nd, was almost out of juries' top 10. Which makes me sure of that: Lordi only won because it was in a 100% televoting system. And afaik most of the rock entries did better in this system.

    Too bad.
    Likes  BernadetteCydonia liked this post
     



    ESC19 || 12 - Australia 10 - Iceland 8 - Norway 7 - Serbia 6 - Spain 5 - Italy 4 - San Marino 3 - Georgia 2 - Switzerland 1 - Romania

  4. Wizard
    Germany
    mauve's Avatar
    Gender
    Female
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    3,072
    Location
    Berlin (Germany)
    #4

    Re: The disappointing results of metal entries

    Quote Originally Posted by Fluke View Post
    I'm not really a metal fan, and even in Eurovision i tend to find rock bands out of place overall - even so, i've been a big supporter of the respective metal entries in the last two years, and of course disappointed by the result.

    When Ukraine chose O.Torvald, i thought it was an incredibly bold move for a country associated with pretty much one particular type of entry, and they did it RIGHT! For a while i really thought they might do the impossible and win two years in a row, against all odds, but the lead vocals failed in the final performance, and the result was no shock in the end. But still, it was the best metal entry since Turkey 2010, who of course came second place, a feat nobody came close to since.

    Then this year, of course, AWS rocked the house - despite almost being last in odds charts, i seriously thought that they would bring the contest home, and even the not-usually--rock-digging Wiwibloggs team put them in the top 5 contenders to win. And boy, they DELIVERED! The song is the perfect culmination of metal in the ESC format, structurally similar to the previous year's effort but at once poppier and more brutal, and even being non-English doesn't seem to be a barrier, as even many non-Eurofans seemed to be affected by the emotion of the song. Their highly visual performance was one of the highlights in a night of one disappointing performance after another. And yet.... what happened?

    When the juries ranked them so low, i gave up hoping, i knew they wouldn't get high televote points either. Sure i had other favorites, and i was thankful to God that Cyprus didn't win, but i just don't get why didn't Hungary do better? Both of these entries didn't even make the top 20.

    Why are metal entries hardly getting any points, when it worked in 2010 and several times before that? Obviously it's down to the individual entries and their performance on the big night, but i got a feeling that wasn't the reason here. Has everyone who apprecciates metal stopped watching, or just gotten to appreciate other genres enough not to care for these entries? Has the attitude to musical variety and the preferences of staging changed so much since? Why do you think they both ended up so low?
    I am actually a metalhead and enjoy most of the rock Songs, some more, some less. My most favorite so far were Mor ve Ötesi' s Deli and AWS for sure. And to be honest, I have absolutely no answer for the question why AWS didn't do well this year, especially with the juries. From everywhere you could hear that sometimes even People who usually don't listen to this genre liked this song. So there will be a huge questionmrak. Maybe it was really too hard? For People who aren't used to Metal, the singer might have screamed. But to me, it was a hell of a show. I know that it will remain one of the ESC-Songs that I will never forget and also keep listening to. I just hope that countries don't get discouraged and will send rock/metal entries to ESC. I like the variety.
    Likes  BernadetteCydonia liked this post
     

  5. Expert
    Germany
    Realest's Avatar
    Gender
    Male
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    4,374
    Location
    Germany
    #5

    Re: The disappointing results of metal entries

    Turkey was at least 8th which is somehow acceptable although they deserved a bit better I think.
    2006 Bosnia would have won with Juries since Lordi was only 10th in the Juryvoting I read somewhere.
    Likes  BernadetteCydonia liked this post
     
    Shine, shine like the stars in the sky
    Wipe the dust off your love, let it shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

  6. Wizard
    Germany
    mauve's Avatar
    Gender
    Female
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    3,072
    Location
    Berlin (Germany)
    #6

    Re: The disappointing results of metal entries

    Quote Originally Posted by anaraqueen View Post
    The vocalist of O. Torvald was as charismatic as my broken nail so i'm not surprised by the result, even though i like the song.

    But if you told me a month ago that AWS would be semi 2's borderline qualifier i would never believe it. i'm shocked they did so low in the televote and being below top 20 overall. I expected at least a top 5, even top 10.

    I know juries are not open to the genre, idk why. Even Turkey 2010, who finished 2nd, was almost out of juries' top 10. Which makes me sure of that: Lordi only won because it was in a 100% televoting system. And afaik most of the rock entries did better in this system.

    Too bad.
    Actually as a Rock-Fan I didn't like Lordi. And I don't believe that they won because of their song, but because they presented themselves as Freaks.
    Likes  BernadetteCydonia liked this post
     

  7. Wizard
    Brazil
    anaraqueen's Avatar
    Gender
    Female
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,615
    Location
    come to brazil
    #7

    Re: The disappointing results of metal entries

    Quote Originally Posted by mauve View Post
    Actually as a Rock-Fan I didn't like Lordi. And I don't believe that they won because of their song, but because they presented themselves as Freaks.
    it's a possibility since many people can see it as a ~joke act~
    but it was my 1st that year so i don't mind haha
    Likes  mauve, BernadetteCydonia liked this post
     



    ESC19 || 12 - Australia 10 - Iceland 8 - Norway 7 - Serbia 6 - Spain 5 - Italy 4 - San Marino 3 - Georgia 2 - Switzerland 1 - Romania

  8. Wizard
    Germany
    mauve's Avatar
    Gender
    Female
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Posts
    3,072
    Location
    Berlin (Germany)
    #8

    Re: The disappointing results of metal entries

    My wish for this upcoming ESC-year: that there will be at least one Hard Rock/Metal entry that will go to Israel … couldn't imagine an ESC without a rocking number.
    Likes  Mainshow, BernadetteCydonia liked this post
     
    “Where words leave off, music begins.” ― Heinrich Heine

  9. Ninja
    Germany
    Mainshow's Avatar
    Gender
    Male
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    1,087
    #9

    Re: The disappointing results of metal entries

    As a huge fan of Symphonic Metal/Gothic/Pagan Folk, I would love to get another alternative (rock) entry.

    Finland 2008 deserved to end up being Top 15,
    Czech Republic 2007 didn't deserve to end up being last. Based on the competition in that poor year, they should have qualified easily.
    Ukraine 2017 was a great entry! One of the finest entries from Ukraine.. voted for it a few times. Top 10 material.
    Hungary 2018 was robbed by the juries. Winning material, tbh.

    Hope to see Within Temptation for the Netherlands and Beyond The Black for Germany someday.
    Likes  BernadetteCydonia liked this post
     
    #letKAZAKHSTANdebutfinally

  10. Ninja
    Germany
    midnightsun's Avatar
    Gender
    Female
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    1,302
    Location
    Germany
    #10

    Re: The disappointing results of metal entries

    Well, I AM a huge metal fan but I honestly don’t like most of the songs that were supposed to be metal.
    Most of them are not so well received in Eurovision because they are not mainstream metal enough.
    Imho Lordi did just win because of their show and their popularity amongst metalheads who probably found it funny to vote for them despite not being the classic Eurovision audience (and probably have never watched Eurovision again after that :-D ... look out for Finland again this year ;-)).
    I would appreciate a really good Rock (doesn’t need to be metal) song but there mostly haven’t been any.
    Manga was a good example how to bring mainstream metal to Eurovision but most of the other rock entries were just noise that even I as a metal fan didn’t like much...
    Likes  Edweis, Stiven liked this post
     
    I feel the sun upon my skin
    And I am someone, I am someone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright © 2009-2018 escunited.com. All rights reserved. Designed by Trece All times are GMT +2. The time now is 17:34.