Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 48

Thread: ESTONIA 2019

  1. Senior Member wtf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    566
    #11

    Re: ESTONIA 2019

    edit: wrong thread

  2. Senior Member wtf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    566
    #12

    Re: ESTONIA 2019

    I would love to see Laura returning with something slower and more professional. I've been to her acoustic concerts and gosh she sings so well! Interesting that she's just like Aisel - super talented as a jazz singer but finds it a bit difficult to sing up-tempo pop songs.

  3. Veteran
    France
    tuorem's Avatar
    Gender
    Male
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    5,948
    Location
    Paris
    #13

    Re: ESTONIA 2019

    Frankie Animal please their material is really good and "Misty" deserved more recognition.

    Any other quality act coming out of the blue with a solid different-sounding entry would do it for me too.
    Likes  BarefootBoogaloo, mercachita liked this post
     

  4. Senior Member wtf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    566
    #14

    Re: ESTONIA 2019

    I wonder if Jüri Pihel will be the next producer of Eesti Laul. He is very experienced as a producer/director and already has a past with Eurovision. He has often stated his opinion quite clearly, even criticized the hosts of Eesti Laul this year. He gave a very good and analysed interview about this year's Eurovision as well. Perhaps he's applied for the position?

    http://publik.delfi.ee/news/eurovisi...am?id=82110953

    Who do you guys think could the new producer be?

  5. Ninja
    Sweden
    tsegaye's Avatar
    Gender
    Male
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1,321
    #15

    Re: ESTONIA 2019

    Mick Pedaja please Has he released anything since Eesti Laul?
    Yeah yeah, fire. - Eleni Foureira

  6. Wizard
    Estonia
    eerik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    3,936
    Location
    Eesti
    #16

    Re: ESTONIA 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    I wonder if Jüri Pihel will be the next producer of Eesti Laul. He is very experienced as a producer/director and already has a past with Eurovision. He has often stated his opinion quite clearly, even criticized the hosts of Eesti Laul this year. He gave a very good and analysed interview about this year's Eurovision as well. Perhaps he's applied for the position?

    http://publik.delfi.ee/news/eurovisi...am?id=82110953

    Who do you guys think could the new producer be?
    No thanks. I would very much prefer someone younger who doesn't care much about ESC. We need Heidy Purga vol. 2, not Juhan Paadam vol. 2. We desperately need someone with an outsider perspective of the Eurovision. I watched a short video interview with Mart Normet that was filmed after the final in Lisbon and the guy thought ESC was a "championship of music and artistry", where everybody sends their best of the best, and since Elina was such a great singer and got only 8th place then there's no way Estonia could achieve anything better, and continued talking crap about Estonian singers and musicians. Deluded bullshit. Such terrible and unhealty views. I am so happy he's gone.
    Likes  Kairit, henhu liked this post
     
    ♪♫♪♫ Cep cep cep cep cep kuuku kuuku cep cep cep cep cep cep kuuku ♪♫♪♫

  7. Senior Member wtf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    566
    #17

    Re: ESTONIA 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by eerik View Post
    No thanks. I would very much prefer someone younger who doesn't care much about ESC. We need Heidy Purga vol. 2, not Juhan Paadam vol. 2. We desperately need someone with an outsider perspective of the Eurovision. I watched a short video interview with Mart Normet that was filmed after the final in Lisbon and the guy thought ESC was a "championship of music and artistry", where everybody sends their best of the best, and since Elina was such a great singer and got only 8th place then there's no way Estonia could achieve anything better, and continued talking crap about Estonian singers and musicians. Deluded bullshit. Such terrible and unhealty views. I am so happy he's gone.
    All fair points.
    I also watched the interview and I agree, he seemed so bitter and disappointed and came off as rude, actually. I truly hope he didn't show his disappointment in front of Elina, who has always handled everything perfectly. It might not be the best feeling to see your HoD be like this.
    Well, my biggest fear is that the element of Eesti Laul will be erased and the only thing that remains is the name. It's crazy how much the Estonian music scene has developed ever since Heidy took over. Eesti Laul is basically the biggest music event in the country and should NOT be Eurovisioned up. They should undo the "foreign songwriters" thing because it truly conflicts with the original concept imo. It's like we started off as Sanremo and have slowly become Melodifestivalen, which is not cool at all. Even Sweden itself should level up their game, as 2018 proved how badly their "perfect" concept has aged.

    I don't even know who could possibly take over? I'm afraid ERR will prefer the ones with Eurovisionish views rather than just new young and fresh people.
    Likes  Kairit liked this post
     

  8. Active Member
    Estonia
    laululind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    131
    #18

    Re: ESTONIA 2019

    We only had one song with foreign writers this year, 95% of this mediocre lineup was all home made. Personally I can take them or leave them, doesn't bother me to have a few co-written songs every year, but they're hardly a necessity either.

    I'd like the new crew to come up with some fresh new ideas. It would be a little disappointing if all they did was go back in time 10 years and do everything exactly the way Purga did it. Kind of defeats the purpose of having new people with new ideas in the first place. I don't think Eesti Laul is quite as stale as Eurolaul was, so a complete overhaul isn't really necessary.. but at least a small makeover would be refreshing. Maybe some fresh new faces for the pre-selection jury too, their choices for this year seemed a little tired. Or maybe there really wasn't anything better on offer, and that's why Normet is so grumpy about our music scene. He's heard all the songs after all.. if he truly believed La Forza was the best of the lot, I can see why he'd think "we'll never do any better!". Probably just disappointment talking tho'.
    Likes  wtf, Kairit liked this post
     

  9. Senior Member wtf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    566
    #19

    Re: ESTONIA 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by laululind View Post
    Maybe some fresh new faces for the pre-selection jury too, their choices for this year seemed a little tired. Or maybe there really wasn't anything better on offer, and that's why Normet is so grumpy about our music scene. He's heard all the songs after all.. if he truly believed La Forza was the best of the lot, I can see why he'd think "we'll never do any better!". Probably just disappointment talking tho'.
    This professional jury and Mart/Heidy said in 2015 that there's no stand-out song and the level is very equal, everyone had chances to win etc. It's so ironic that Goodbye to Yesterday turned out to be the biggest favourite of Eesti Laul history, beating all the other contestants and standing out big time. Sadly, we might never know of all the potential ESC top 10 material songs that get left out. They've rejected several top notch songs from Elysa, which is a great sign. I don't think they even detect songs with real potential tbh.

    They better let her in next year! Eleni, who?


  10. Active Member
    Estonia
    laululind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    131
    #20

    Re: ESTONIA 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by wtf View Post
    This professional jury and Mart/Heidy said in 2015 that there's no stand-out song and the level is very equal, everyone had chances to win etc. It's so ironic that Goodbye to Yesterday turned out to be the biggest favourite of Eesti Laul history, beating all the other contestants and standing out big time. Sadly, we might never know of all the potential ESC top 10 material songs that get left out. They've rejected several top notch songs from Elysa, which is a great sign. I don't think they even detect songs with real potential tbh.

    They better let her in next year! Eleni, who?
    Nor did they have Rändajad in their original top 10 in 2009. Another Eesti Laul classic and our first top 10 in years, and it might never have happened!

    Granted, we only hear the polished final versions, it's possible Rändajad or GTY had crappy demos in the beginning. Still, it's the juries job to pick up on this potential, and having them nearly miss it on several occasions doesn't inspire too much confidence. Looking at some of the weaker lineups we've had or subpar chosen songs, you can't help but wonder "surely there had to be something better to pick?!" But short of publishing every single song, which comes with it's own set of problems, there's no way to really solve this issue. All we can do is hope they choose competent people who can spot potential when they hear it! And put aside their personal bias when rating songs, especially with the "1-5" rating system. I still think they should do away with that, it only encourages middle-of-the-road songs. Also reconsider adding in songs merely for the sake of variety. I like a varied lineup too, but most of those extra additions aren't really competitive in the end, and songs with actual potential could get pushed out to make room for the token rap/country/whatever entry.

    Poor Elysa didn't have more luck abroad either. I hope she keeps improving and finally gets selected with a great song.
    Likes  wtf liked this post
     

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright © 2009-2018 escunited.com. All rights reserved. Designed by Trece All times are GMT +2. The time now is 11:49.