Thread: 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS - Pyeongchang/South Korea

1. Wizard
    Germany

Re: 2018 WINTER OLYMPICS - Pyeongchang/South Korea

*deleted*

2. Legend
    Canada

Two more medals for Canada this morning, both in short track! Kim Boutin got another bronze medal, this time in the women's 1,500m, and Samuel Girard got gold in the men's 1,000m!

Va Va Froome! #TDF2017 | #LV2017 | #Giro2018?

3. Veteran
    Slovenia

men's hockey:
    3-2 after penalty shootout

..and that means 2nd place in the group of death
    Russia completely destroyed us and won the group

but i''m surprised that USA is so average.. i know NHL players are not allowed to enter, but surely they can still form a team to compete for top places?..
    This year's NF season is the best!

4. Mentor
    Norway
    Trondheim, Norway / Niavara, Balearica Island

Day 8:
    Alpine skiing (women's Super-G): I've mentioned this earlier, but it can be mentioned again. Ester LedeckŠ, OMG! Definitely moment of the day, maybe the moment of these Olympics, even tho there's still a week to go. Very close tho, Anna Veith lost the gold (that everyone thought she had secured) by 1/100th of a second, and Lara Gut lost the bronze with the same margin.

Biathlon (women's mass start): Wasn't really sure what to expect here, as the Norwegians can be either very good, or very bad, and then it's usually on the shooting range. But Tiril Eckhoff likes the mass starts, and won the bronze, and Olsbu was also up there, but she finished 8th in the end. Good event for us.
    This was on the quiz, would Norway get a medal? I didn't think we would, but was wrong.

Cross-country skiing (women's 4x5 km relay): Norway won, but it was a good battle against Sweden. Great performance by Haga on the 3rd leg.
    This was also on the quiz, and this was a tricky one. Who would do the 2nd leg for Norway? I had no idea, and took a chance on Astrid Uhrenholdt Jacobsen. I later found out that she wasn't originally meant to be on the relay team, but she did end up doing the 2nd leg instead of Heidi Weng, so a lucky point for me there.

Figure skating (men's singles): I have no idea what to say about this...

Freestyle (women's slopestyle): Good chances for Norway here, as both Tiril SjŚstad Christiansen and Johanne Killi could win medals, and they did pretty good in the qualification. But it didn't go quite their way in the finals, and ended 5th and 9th in the end. :/

Short track (men's 1000 m and women's 1500 m): What I like about short-track, is that the judges don't look at who the athletes are or where they come from, if you do something wrong, you get penalized. And that makes it even more exciting, because you can't really tell who's going to win this. Interesting to watch, but I don't really have any strong opinions about the results...

Skeleton (women's): Personally, I feel that bob, skeleton and luge should all be under the same sport (sliding or something), since they all use the same track, but that's irrelevant here. Exciting until the end, when Lizzy Yarnold showed everyone how it's supposed to be done, and crushed her old track record by 0.2 seconds. And she could have done even better too, as she hit the wall a couple of times. Good day for Great Britain, with 2 medals.

Ski jumping (men's large hill): It's a disgrace that the women aren't allowed to compete in this hill as well, but maybe in 2022... Anyway, after the qualification, expectations were high, as Johansson and Forfang won it. And we had all 4 guys in the top 8 in the competition, but unfortunately no win. Kamil Stoch won, but Robert Johansson did get a bronze.
    And this was also on the quiz, who would win? I guessed Kamil Stoch, so I got a point there.

Day 8: 1 gold, 2 bronze (sneaking up on Germany in the medal table)

5. Senior Member
    Italy

Quote Originally Posted by esc87fan View Post
    Two more medals for Canada this morning, both in short track! Kim Boutin got another bronze medal, this time in the women's 1,500m, and Samuel Girard got gold in the men's 1,000m!
    Yay

6. Ninja
    UK

7. Legend
    Canada

Quote Originally Posted by bURN View Post
    Yay
    I know, this is amazing. We're at the halfway point of the Games and already Canada has 15 medals - our best start in a Winter Games ever with more medals to come (surely we have an ice dance medal in figure skating in the bag via Tessa and Scott)!
    Likes  bURN liked this post

Va Va Froome! #TDF2017 | #LV2017 | #Giro2018?

8. Piece of Wonk
    UK

I know, this is amazing. We're at the halfway point of the Games and already Canada has 15 medals - our best start in a Winter Games ever with more medals to come (surely we have an ice dance medal in figure skating in the bag via Tessa and Scott)!
    You think that's amazing?! GB just had their best EVER day winning a whole THREE medals!!! Already our joint best result (with 1924 and 2014) so anything else will make this our most successful Winter Olympics of ALL TIME!
    2018 Ranking: Come on; far too early for that... | WV's King of

9. Senior Member
    Italy

I thought Tessa and Scott were too old for Olympics they have been since 2006 Winter Olympics in Torino. It is good news to see they are still on. I am in USA at the moment so do not follow much of Canada , but I saw where we were third in Gold Medal standings and second overall with 15 .. It has definitely been a good year for Canada!

Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 121819202122