Thread: Friend keeps on saying he's going to kill himself: Bluff or truth?

1. In Training
    Canada

Friend keeps on saying he's going to kill himself: Bluff or truth?

My friend keeps on saying that he's over with life and will kill himself -- A MILLION TIMES! I read one article that this can be a source of depression and needs immediate attention. But when can we consider it serious?

2. Senior Member
    Turkey

Re: Friend keeps on saying he's going to kill himself: Bluff or truth?

It definitely should be taken seriously! He doesn't just mention it all the time for nothing obviously there are some things crossing his mind even if he is not considering it YET. Try to talk to him about it the next time you notice something is off. And I don't mean you should tell him straight up if he wants to kill himself or not since talking about such a thing is still pretty much a taboo. Instead just ask him how he is doing and feeling lately, tell him you're there for him and support him and then you can slowly break the ice. Don't act like it is completely crazy and show some empathy, but also give him reasons why he should continue his journey and there so many of these I'm sure you can think of some. This all should be talked about gradually. Also you can look online to find more regarding the subject to understand it more and I'm sure you can find more tips. Especially support him and show him you're there and you care! Generally people with suicidal thoughts feel like the world would be better without them or that they have no reason to stay alive. Prove him wrong! Personally I believe all suicidal people can be helped if talked to on time. He just needs someone to push him through his dark thoughts and get him through this hard time, be that someone!

Btw I am not saying you're friend surely is suicidal or anything, but with something this serious you can't risk it imo. Just start talking about his feelings and so on first the rest will (or not) come automatically. Even if he says no and says everything is fine tell him you are always there for him and you always support him, good luck
    Likes  AshleyWright, foldpaw, ZoboCamel liked this post

3. In Training
    United States

I think you should take it seriously, people don't just say that just to bluff. I think he needs to see a professional, and also he needs the support of family and friends. I hope he gets the help he needs asap, before it's too late
    Likes  foldpaw liked this post

4. In Training
    Canada

Thank you. I just read about suicidal ideations from BetterHelp and it certainly needs to be taken seriously.

5. In Training
    United States

Try to convince him to see a doctor too.

6. Legend
    United States

Wow. That's so sad that your friend is dealing with that I agree with @skirlsort that you should nudge them in the direction of talking to a professional, but tread extremely lightly. Something like: "I can support you every step of the way as a friend, but I'm not qualified to know how best to help. I'd highly recommended seeing a professional who can help you in ways I don't know how to."

In the meantime, expose yourself to media about what depression does to people. Everyone's experience with it is different, but it's worth familiarizing yourself with what it's like. Here're a couple of pieces people I know with depression have found really revelatory (one of which references the other, actually):
    http://namebrandlindsay.com/2014/08/...-to-kill-them/
    http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.co...-part-two.html

As for whether there's an element of "bluffing" to it, maybe there is, but I'd take what they're saying extremely seriously either way. Maybe they aren't going to do something that drastic, but there's a solid chance that they're already hurting themselves or are putting that on their mind (even if it's unrealistic). One of the best things you can do is just give them some space to exist and share as they see fit, and a lot of that starts with letting their mind go where it goes.
    2017 ranking: 12 PT 10 SM 8 IT 7 LT 6 EE 5 CZ 4 FI 3 ME 2 AM 1 UK Also: FR/NO/NL/PL
    You're doing amazing. I wish you could see how sexy your listening face is. For Halloween, you should go as a slutty ear. What do you want to do now? SING? YEAH! LET'S! I'll be up here...and I'll be down here...Jenna's blond as a sunrise. Hot as the sun. Bright as the shining sun...Jenna is listening. Listening like the SUN IN THE SKYYY.