Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Eurovision 2018 News!

1. Veteran
    Sweden

Re: Eurovision 2018 News!

Cannot wait for delegations to bring their own LED screens

Founder of Hip Hits
    Vol. 1 ✓ | Vol. 2 ✓ | Vol. 3 | #tbt | in concert | female rap | hip emotions

2. Veteran
    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by A-lister View Post
    It looks quite ok, I'll wait until I see it in action...

Although I'm a sucker for big (not empty big like 2009 though) spectacular stages with cool technology, design and LED-screens so of course it's not really my cup, but on the other hand I expected "worse" with the whole "less is more" mentality, so it's still pretty good looking thus far
    I would say the only thing missing from that is just LED-screens

Portugal - Belgium - Armenia - France - Azerbaijan - Denmark - Iceland - Italy - Finland

3. WorldVision Mod
    Spain

I like a good LED Screen so I am sad this year doesn't have one. I think it adds so much to a stage, the previous stages without any form of LED screen i've found to me quite meh tbh, however I really like the look of this stage. Hopefully it will live up to the pictures.
    Likes  JChan, A-lister, ZoboCamel liked this post

4. Junkie
    Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by DaFlo View Post
    Cannot wait for delegations to bring their own LED screens
    Oh God that always looks awful, nul points to anyone that does that
    Likes  DanielLuis liked this post

5. Expert
    Sweden

When was the last time there was no LED and the delegations brought it? Azerbaijan 2010?
    Dihaj - Skeletons

6. Veteran
    Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLuis View Post
    I would say the only thing missing from that is just LED-screens
    Problem is that LED-screens add so many dimensions, wheres a stage that is only relying on the... well... stage is just that... the stage... there's just so much you can do with it... sure they can always swift colors, but then again Oslo 2010 was probably the most boring stage in modern ESC era... this one looks more promising though.

7. Junkie
    Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by FilipFromSweden View Post
    When was the last time there was no LED and the delegations brought it? Azerbaijan 2010?
    Probably. But even Ukraine 2012, UK 2011, any act like that with extra screens on stage just looks horrendous. If your song can't stand on its own without a video wall behind you then it doesn't say a lot about your song.

Quote Originally Posted by A-lister View Post
    Problem is that LED-screens add so many dimensions, wheres a stage that is only relying on the... well... stage is just that... the stage... there's just so much you can do with it... sure they can always swift colors, but then again Oslo 2010 was probably the most boring stages in modern ESC era... this one looks more promising though.
    While I disagree that the Oslo stage was boring, let's not forget that it is a song contest. Visuals look nice but they shouldn't be the main focus of every performance.
    Likes  Stiven liked this post

8. Veteran
    Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by anto475 View Post
    While I disagree that the Oslo stage was boring, let's not forget that it is a song contest. Visuals look nice but they shouldn't be the main focus of every performance.
    I agree, but it depends on if you see the addition of LED-backdrops only as a distraction, or as an actual addition to give even more flavor to the performance (I see it as part of a whole performance piece which includes not just the song but the overall presentation of it including choreography and visuals).

ESC lately has this "Idol/The Voice" flu (alot thanks to the juries) that thinks that just standing in one spot singing "conventionally good" is good enough and the actual song aswell as the performance is secondary as long as the "vocals" are there. As a viewer though, I want to be entertained, I want performances fit for the entries though (sometimes standing in one spot with no effects is the most efficient and fitting choice for a song, sometimes it's not, it depends).

I do agree though that backdrops should be used when they fit and as additions, not distractions, however with the "less is more"-mentality, you kind of give no other options to those entries that would fit with a more "grand" performance.

9. Expert
    Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by anto475 View Post
    Probably. But even Ukraine 2012, UK 2011, any act like that with extra screens on stage just looks horrendous. If your song can't stand on its own without a video wall behind you then it doesn't say a lot about your song.
    Dihaj - Skeletons

10. Junior Member
    Germany

I think it's just selfish from portugal to squeeze everyone into the "Music is not fireworks" mentality. Yeah, it worked for their song but they seem to forget other genres.

If Eurovision was only about the song, then the competition could be held on radio.

Seriously, imagine Jamala without the glowing tree, Måns without his LED-choreography, Conchita without the burning wings.
    Imagine the 2014 stage looking like this throughout the whole competition

Every performance needs to look as good as "Undo" for me to like it.
    Likes  A-lister, FilipFromSweden liked this post