View Poll Results: How do you rate this entry?

Voters
173. You may not vote on this poll

6 3.47%

6 3.47%

18 10.40%

24 13.87%

18 10.40%

29 16.76%

13 7.51%

16 9.25%

12 6.94%

10 5.78%

21 12.14%
Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast

Thread: MALTA 2018 - Christabelle - Taboo

MALTA 2018 - Christabelle - Taboo

LYRICS (Click Spoiler)

Videos:
    Reaction Video

2. Legend
    UK

Re: MALTA 2018

Not a bad NF from Malta at all! There's quite a few I wouldn't mind going to Lisbon: Richard & Joe (who I guess will win lol), Avenue Sky or one of our Maltese 'divas' Jasmine and Deborah being the best of them I think! And I hadn't much rated Aidan's original version of Dai Laga but I love this revamp! So I guess Richard & Joe or Aidan.

3. Enthusiast
    England

Just made it through the Maltese final 16... it's not a bad selection, but I didn't think I heard an obvious winner...

For me, one song really stood out though: Matthew Anthony - "Call 2morrow".

It's modern, a little different, and gives me Jack Garratt vibes.

It might be too subtle and chilled to get attention, but it would certainly deserve to qualify. Easily my choice for this year.
    2018: [12] Finland, [10] Israel, [8] Austria, [7] Portugal, [6] Bulgaria, [5] Italy, [4] Germany, [3] France, [2] Australia, [1] Azerbaijan

4. Active Member
    Ireland
    I'll be in Lisbon this May, if that's what ya wanna know.

Ever since the 'ooh they released all the new songs' hype went, I've realized how meh most of the entries are.

In the meanwhile, check out the song reviews I've done!

https://oisindoesesc.wordpress.com/2...d-predictions/
    My Top 5 since 2009:
    1. Portugal 2017 - 2. Norway 2009 - 3. Italy 2013 - 4. Germany 2010 - 5. Norway 2014

5. Wizard
    Australia

Quote Originally Posted by NNR View Post
    Ever since the 'ooh they released all the new songs' hype went, I've realized how meh most of the entries are.

In the meanwhile, check out the song reviews I've done!

https://oisindoesesc.wordpress.com/2...d-predictions/
    Ooh, in-depth predictions. Always my kind of thing. Most of your guesses up the top are pretty much what I'd expect myself, though I think you might be underestimating Rhiannon with a good enough performance, I feel she could at least nab that fourth-ish spot you've got Jasmine in. Apart from that, I'd probably have Richard & Joe up as one of the top three contenders for the win, but your guess of sixth is possible too if Malta doesn't warm to them like I expect.

As for my personal opinion on the quality of the entries, I'm... well. There's a lot of stuff here I like I enjoy just about half of the songs on offer here, which is a lot more than I do in most NFs but there's very little to love. It's as if the selection is filled entirely with songs that are on the borderline of "nice" and "not quite good enough to call nice"... just a lot of stuff in the middle.

That said, there are a couple of standouts that I enjoy myself and feel could work at Eurovision, with Richard & Joe and Eleanor as the main ones of note. Rhiannon could be a dark horse too if executed brilliantly. I don't think there's anything to trouble the higher spots of the scoreboard in May though.
    Likes  NNR, DanielLuis liked this post

6. Veteran
    Portugal

So this national final is made up mostly of commercial pop songs that all sound similar. I don't think that the general quality is bad, it's actually quite good, much better than Malta's last few NFs. But it's all very homogeneous. The songs only start to differentiate more with 1 or 2 extra listenings.
    Another thing that I noticed is how terrible the majority of the lyrics are. It's really bad in some cases.

I think that 3 songs are ahead of the pack though. Brooke has a very infectious uplifting feel good song with "Heart of gold". However this one suffers tremendously from the bad lyrics previously mentioned. I mean, I am beautiful like a pack of wolves with a heart of gold? Well I'm glad to know that, thank you Brooke.
    Eleanor with "Back to life" is very powerful, especially that final chorus. If she hits those notes tomorrow she could very well win. And Rhiannon with "Beyond blue horizons" is a underrated pearl in my opinion. It has so much soul and it develops so smoothly troughout the 3 minutes! If Rhiannon can make it justice tomorrow it could surprise a lot of people.

There are a lot of other good songs though. "Dai laga", "Rocket", "Call 2morrow", "Song for dad", "Supernovas" etc. Bar a terrible choice from Malta, they are definitely going to improve on their entry last year.

By the way, Deborah C's song is sooooo much like a traditional pimba Portuguese song but in English. I hate it with a passion.

(Portugal) 12. Belgium 10. FYR Macedonia 8. Estonia 7. Greece 6. Austria 5. Italy 4. France 3. Israel 2. Latvia 1. Sweden

7. Mentor
    Portugal

"Song for Dad" is the only acceptable choice here.
    Maybe someone else will surprise me with the performance

8. Mentor
    Estonia

I actually think its one of the Stronger NFs. Richard and Joe would get Malta probably the best Result at Eurovision.
    00: LV | 01: GR | 02: LV | 03: TR | 04: UA | 05: CS | 06: FI | 07: BY | 08: IL |
    09: NO | 10: DE | 11: GR | 12: AZ | 13: AZ | 14: ES | 15: SE | 16: UA | 17: BG

9. Legend
    Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Realest View Post
    I actually think its one of the Stronger NFs. Richard and Joe would get Malta probably the best Result at Eurovision.
    That would mean winning, since they been 2nd twice (2002 and 2005)? Even if Richard & Joe is one of the few fine songs in the maltese selection, I have a hard time seeing them get pass top 20 in a final, but I could be wrong...

10. Mentor
    Estonia

Quote Originally Posted by Schlagerman1 View Post
    That would mean winning, since they been 2nd twice (2002 and 2005)? Even if Richard & Joe is one of the few fine songs in the maltese selection, I have a hard time seeing them get pass top 20 in a final, but I could be wrong...
    No, I mean R&J would get a higher Result in Lisbon that the other 15.
    00: LV | 01: GR | 02: LV | 03: TR | 04: UA | 05: CS | 06: FI | 07: BY | 08: IL |
    09: NO | 10: DE | 11: GR | 12: AZ | 13: AZ | 14: ES | 15: SE | 16: UA | 17: BG

11. Legend
    Ukraine

21:00 CET.
    MESC 2018. The final.

Webcast ----> http://www.tvm.com.mt/mt/live/
    Likes  ZoboCamel, Matt, hunty73, hdplus liked this post

Page 9 of 53 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast