View Poll Results: How do you rate this entry?

Voters
186. You may not vote on this poll

39 20.97%

21 11.29%

10 5.38%

20 10.75%

15 8.06%

22 11.83%

13 6.99%

7 3.76%

8 4.30%

7 3.76%

24 12.90%
Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15556162636465

Thread: AUSTRALIA 2018 - Jessica Mauboy - We Got Love

AUSTRALIA 2018 - Jessica Mauboy - We Got Love

Likes  Dessi, Preuss liked this post

2. Ninja
    Germany

Re: AUSTRALIA 2018 - Jessica Mauboy - We Got Love

Quote Originally Posted by PashonFrut View Post
    Song is quite catchy but her moves don't look aesthetically pleasing
    This. (Cascada failed the same way in 2013... bad dress and that ungainly stamping).
    Also, she screamed too much. Countries get punished for that. See Israel 2014, Azerbaijan 2015, Latvia 2016 etc. even Dami almost ruined the really good song and performance at the end with that screaming.
    I feel the sun upon my skin
    And I am someone, I am someone

3. Mentor
    Norway

okay 12th place in the televoting from us

4. Mentor
    Norway

two weeks after the grand final i still struggle to understand why they didn't show the drum parts + hight note + pyro during recap...? not that i think it would've changed much but still

5. Mentor
    Norway

Jessica still in the top ten <3

6. Wizard
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Preuss View Post

Jessica still in the top ten <3
    Hmmm…. I rather like No. 9 and 7!

7. Ninja
    Germany

8 pts - catchy, well-produced feel good anthem. Sadly, the performance wasn't impressive at all. Who did come up with that horrible dress? - Should be fired ASAP

8. Mentor
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Mainshow View Post
    8 pts - catchy, well-produced feel good anthem. Sadly, the performance wasn't impressive at all. Who did come up with that horrible dress? - Should be fired ASAP
    Poor Jessica... I haven’t felt such things for an entry since Dilara 2014
    Thank you!

Stagings had its pros but wasn’t enough sadly

9. Mentor
    Norway

Okay, I've been kinda mad that they staged "We Got Love" so averagely considering the potential it had for staging, but earlier today I actually heard in a press conference with Paul Clarke that they had several other plans how to stage their entry, but all of them got rejected because other countries were doing a too similar act. The press conference is on wiwibloggs. Conveniently I stumbled across a video where Jessica had no clue how her staging was gonna be before entering Lisbon. So I've always been mad because of the whole concept with their staging they had, but add all of this and then it sounds incredible amateurish from the Australian delegation to me...

So I'm not sure whether the staging they had at the end even were their plan C or D...

10. Mentor
    Norway

So as the ESC season's progressing and we're soon to reach Tel Aviv for the endgame of this year's contest, I guess I'd kill some time at the end of a beautiful sunny easter here in Norway to do a rant about this entry I felt so strongly about last year. Feel free to read my little rant, but this is just a post to gather all my thoughts about this entry and what went wrong. I'm not sure where to start this rant, but I guess I'd at least try to do it chronologically to stucture it a bit, at least.

First of all, I was absolutely hooked on the song when it was released - the beat, the sound, Jessica and her voice, the music video - I was absolutely amazed by it and I'd never think that any Australian entry would ever top Dami Im but as the year progressed, Jessica and "We Got Love" really did become my number 1 entry from Australia and my personal favourite of a year including several other acts I loved like EQUINOX, Mikolas and Netta. I don't think I lie if I said that I could listen to the track for an hour everyday whether it was on my way to school, or if I studied, or during tests or working out - I was in love with the song, but to be fair, I was also in love with Jessica because she's just adorable and stunning and basically everything I could dream of lol

So yes, the entry really got me and Jessica did so amazing during those pre-parties and built the hype around her entry to a point where I genuinely believed it could win lol - I guess several factors played in as I saw the rise of the entry with the bookies and journalists saying that it could win - and therefore I started to believe for once that it could win. Yes people will disagree with me now and say that it never really stood a chance of winning, but whatever it's regardless now as we all know how it ended for Jess in Lisbonm but the fact is that I got so hyped and carried away with this entry and Jess that I never really thought of anything but Jess doing well in Lisbon, because to be fair, I think Mauboy felt the pressure to do well as all the previous acts from Australia did so well and restore the dignity and honour of Australia in ESC after Isaiah's televote score

When I imagined staging for this in my head, I wasn't quite clear about the fact that there would be no LED screens in Lisbon so I was very surprised when I first read that it wouldn't be any LED screens in Lisbon lol. I always pictured "We Got Love" to be somehow similar to her "Sea of Flags" performance, but I told myself that they Sacha Jean-Baptiste on the team and that she'd been able to put on an amazing show for Jessica without LEDs as that was the main reason she was hired in the first place, but it turned out I was quite wrong

I was very sad when I saw that Australia dropped from like 2nd with the bookies to 8th after Jessica's first rehearsal, and I was pissed but I tried to stay optimistic and told myself that Jessica's voice was good during the first rehearsals so the staging will probably improve as the rehearsals progresses. I got really scared for her and the entry, especially when I heard her jury-performance for the 1st semi-final where I admitted myself that I didn't really understand what was going on with her. So before the semi-final I had really low expectations and expected the worst, but I still was very excited to see her performance if that makes sense lol - and she really convinced me and I thought the staging had it pros that could lift it into the top ten in the final. Then the final happened and we all know that it ended with a dissapointing 20th place for Jess. What went wrong?

Well, it's not an understatement to say that I was quite pissed after the final result because I felt so bad for Jessica because I genuinely didn't think she deserved to end up dead last in the televote and yeah I was very dissapointed myself to say it like that. I never expected it to end up last in televote so I was quite shocked when the woman with the bad english read "Australia" first lol - someone should've filmed my reaction lol, it was priceless I got so mad

So after the contest I've asked myself what the hell went wrong. First of all, something happened with Jessica's voice between the first and second rehearsal because she was terrible pitchy during the 2nd round of rehearsals - was the negative feedback making her nervous? Because I do know that Jessica liked to watch and read the feedback from her performances and the song, so did she lose her confidence after the first rehearsal? I did read once that she has a history with nerves - did the nerves get into her mind? Jessica was a big ESC fans and as I said, probably felt the pressure to follow Guy, Dami and Isaiah, but now at the end of the day she will only be remembered as the first contestant from Australia who didn't end up in the top 10 - I do conspire a little, but I got the feeling that she was terrible dissapointed and devastated after the contest because I think she wanted to be rememebered as one of the contestants and performances of the year, but now she'll be remembered as the woman with the terrible staging, terrible dress ex cetera...

Because the staging really was a mess, wasn't it? I mean, I was pretty much positively surprised after I watched the semi-final performance and I was quite overwhelmed and genuinely thought it would do quite well in the final, especially because it rose to around top ten in the odds and I have/had a tendency to follow the odds quite nearly, although I know/knew I probably shouldn't. I can still say this day that I still like parts of the performance, but at the end of the day it just wasn't good enough, which is a pity and something I'm terrible annoyed over. And yes we can discuss her voice whatsoever and I know her voice cracked for the quarter of a second during the GF performance, but when I listen to other entries doing well, I don't think it's wrong when I claim that Jessica would've done better with better staging regardless of her questionable vocals at times

At the end of the day, this just feels like a missed opportunity to me and it's a pity for Jessica too. So in hinsight I've figured it out that apparently they were too late with the ideas they had originally planned lol, which at the end of the day is terrible amateurish from the Australian delegation and Jessica didn't deserve that - Guy, Dami and Isaiah all got expensive performances with high production value while poor Jess ended up with whatever she did - sure the staging's slick and doesn't look cheap for that case, probably because Sacha Jean-Baptiste was behind it, but it's still the worst staging out of the stagings Australia have delivered to the ESC stage

Because it constantly changed from every rehearsal - it was never the same and the concept just didn't work lol and I'm in a big believer of consistencies when it comes to competitions. They never seemed to figure out the staging, and I still don't understand why the staging was so god damn dark at the end - no seriously the black/white theme was something they'd never should've gone for. Should've been more light and colours. The exclusive clip from the 2nd rehearsal was so shockingly bad and awful visually that I thought Sacha Jean-Baptiste had lost her head - just google it up and watch it, seriously underwhelming and looked like something anyone could've come up with. The 1st rehearsals at least had some lights and colours in it. I seriously think that I could've staged the entry better than what we saw in the end

Having a look at previous interviews with Jessica this year, I am quite certain that they were going to create the music video (which I loved) on stage, but their ideas weren't accepted by the EBU because they were too late lol. And that's a pity of course. I have also been mad at Sacha Jean-Baptiste for ditching Jessica under the bus for "Fuego", but I have also wondered lately if they only hired Sacha Jean-Baptiste because their original ideas were rejected, because it was announced quite late that SJB was gonna do the staging. During the London ESC-party, wiwibloggs interviewed Jessica and she said that they were waiting for their ideas to get approved, but days later I see that it was announced that SJB was gonna do their staging, which makes me believe that their ideas were rejected and they hired her to do the staging for them then. This is all just thoughts I have though, but I wouldn't rule out a possibility from this being true if I'm honest. The dress they went for in the end was obviously not the dress they had originally planned as the dress was basically there to fit the colour theme they went for in the end

I follow Jessica on Instagram, and noticed that she started to work out a lot after the dissapointing result in Lisbon. This is all just conspiracy theories from me but did she suffer emotionally after the contest? Because she got really quiet and I know that doing well meant a lot to her as she clearly had ambitions to do so. Anyway this is all just thoughts I've had, but I wouldn't count this out from being entirely true either, especially because I suspect she might've read comments about her body due to the dress during Eurovision. Anyway, I'll end my little rant now and say that this all was just terrible unfortunate, but I still love Jessica and the entry #wegotlove

I know this is late but I've always thought about doing a rant about this once, I've just never done it

Page 65 of 65 FirstFirst ... 15556162636465