Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup

1. Mentor
    Portugal

2017 FIFA Confederations Cup

The 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup will be held in Russia, from 17 June to 2 July 2017, as a prelude to the 2018 FIFA World Cup.

Participating teams

Group A: Russia, New Zealand, Portugal, Mexico
    Group B: Cameroon, Chile, Australia, Germany

A Confederations Cup of firsts:

• first time in the tournament's history that three national teams from any single confederation (Germany, Portugal and Russia – UEFA) participate
    • the defending champions, Brazil, who won the previous three Confederation Cups (2005, 2009, 2013), failed to qualify for the first time since 1995
    • Chile, Portugal and Russia make their first appearances ever in the tournament
    • first time Russia hosts the tournament

More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2017_F...ederations_Cup

2. Mentor
    Portugal

Re: 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup

This looks cool. I am not familiar with this particular tournament. I am checking this out as my country is participating. I like the concept: a tournament of champions. The groups are unbalanced, but nothing is perfect. Anyway, I cannot wait for Germany vs Chile – they are huge, they are at the top of their game, so it will be intense.

3. Veteran
    Slovenia

50% of them are on esc 2017
    Likes  Miguel, DanielLuis, JimmyJump liked this post

youtube.com/XSunacX/videos
    Wishlist: Albania-Lynx|Latvia-Riga Reggae

4. Legend
    Sweden

So, I did a look on how the Confederations Cup will go if only the most recent matchresults were counted! (I used this site: http://int.soccerway.com/teams/comparison/ )
    If two teams never met each other, I just give them 0-0. If it happens in the playoff, I go with current Fifa ranking.

GROUP A:
    0-0
    1-0
    1-0
    1-2
    1-4
    0-0

+4 7p
    0 4p
    -3 3p
    -1 2p

GROUP B:
    1-1
    2-2
    0-0
    0-1
    2-2
    3-1

+1 5p
    +1 4p
    0 3p
    -2 2p

Semifinals:
    0-0* (Chile is better ranked)
    4-0

Third Place:
    0-1 (2nd most recent match counted here)

Final:
    0-0* (No 2nd match avalible, Germany better ranked.)

But it has to be played of course, looking forward to this tournament!

5. Veteran
    Germany

Btw, we Germans will participate with a B-squad.. well more like a C-squad.. it mainly consists of "prospect players" that Lw wanna test out on high international level. Our regular national players get some holidays after this exhausting season. Lw says, he knows about their quality anyway so it's not needful to see them again. Therefore we will see young and less experienced players and I am kinda excited to see how they do in a strong competition like the Confed Cup. Always nice to see new faces.

I'm disappointed Lw didn't nominate Max Kruse who probably was the best attacking player of the second half of the Bundesliga season. But then again if he keeps playing like this (what I obviouly hope) Lw can't ignore him anymore and I would be sure he will nominate him sooner or later.

Btw, I predict to win this cup

6. Super Moderator
    Russian Federation

Never forget this great moment from the last Confederations Cup!!

Likes  whiteshoes liked this post

'Every day I feel like jesus' - NoraZineb

My current timezone is MSK.

7. Junkie
    Portugal

As defending European champions we have the obligation to at least do well in this competition. Germans dismissing the whole tournament raises our odds a bit.

Russia has the home factor going for themselves and what I'd like is for them to qualify with our team from group A. But after suffering on Russia's behalf for these past Euros and WC's I don't feel very optimistic.
    Mexico are capable of the worst and the best. It really depends whether they'll be on consistent form or not.
    New Zealand should be no threat but the underdog status might just motivate them do pull a little Iceland.

As for Group B, I think Germany even with a secondary team will go through. Plenty of talent even within their secondary choices. Not to mention they always do well when it matters. Defending world champions will leave their reputation immaculate, I predict.
    Chile is probably the other nation going through although I'd prefer Australia. But Chile just won Copa America recently and do have at least a couple of world class acts. They're superior to Mexico in my eyes.
    But Australia could surprise them. They have had better squads in the past though. Still they're to be counted on and not so much as underdogs. They've done some great things to their name in the past major competitions.
    Cameroon also just won CAN so there must be some motivation still steaming from that. However, African teams are ever so irregular. So they might just flunk. I still have WC 2014 memories of Cameroon...we had a bad world cup then but they had it worse for sure Maybe these rumours of Assou-Ekotto wanting to become an adult star are still consequences of that

Well, Group B is definitely tougher. There is no proper weak link. But I say Germany and Australia go through.

And from A Portugal and Russia.

Then on semis we meet Australia and put an end to their good run.
    And Germany lose out to a motivated Russia playing in front of their crowd - tabloids in Germany will start a drama and question Lw and the whole secondary players deal. While drama runs high Joachim does his usual...thing and nothing happens in the end anyway. No one is sacked and next year they go to the finals of the WC and lose to us

As for the final of the CC, we finally break the Russian spell. Ronaldo will say how he just needs to win the WC now (which he does the following year) and then he retires from the national squad for he wants to have time to raise his non-traditionally conceived children.

Half jokingly that's my futurology I'd really like us in the final vs. Russia though.

8. Senior Member
    Germany

Russia did a good Job. The Match had much better Quality than expected. No to compare with their horrible EuropeCup.

9. Veteran
    Germany

I don't think a match vs New Zealand is a serious indicator since the New Zealand team is not competitive at all. In Europe you could compare them maybe to Latvia or Moldova

How good Russia is we will only see in their next matches vs Portugal and Mexico. Today they only did as much as it was necessary.
    I don't expect a lot of them since I know some of their key players are missing (especially Dzagoev). From their first 11 of today I only know Akinfeev, Zhirkov and Smolov. For me this is a team of nobody's.. well, maybe they can surprise everybody
    Likes  blue00eyes liked this post

10. Senior Member
    Germany

Did anybody see the CMR-CHI Match yesterday? Couldnt see it. Did Chile justify their Favourite-Status?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast