Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup

1. Veteran
    Slovenia

Re: 2017 FIFA Confederations Cup

Quote Originally Posted by Realest View Post
    Did anybody see the CMR-CHI Match yesterday? Couldnt see it. Did Chile justify their Favourite-Status?
    yes.. chile scored 3 goals but 1 was disallowed due to offside...
    and they were better most of the time, especially in the first half
    youtube.com/XSunacX/videos
    Enjoy the small things,with time they will get big. Rybak FTW!

2. Senior Member
    Germany

Alright, thanks. Germany did a very good Match vs Australia except the Goalkeeper. I think 3:2 was a bit too close, but in the germany will easily qualify with Chile.

3. Senior Member
    Germany

Didnt expect to become Groupleader yaaaay. Only One step away from our Dream-Final.
    I remember WC 98 when Mexico was three Times in behind in the First Round and then turned it everytime (3:1 vs South Korea after 0:1, 2:2 vs Belgium and Netherlands after 0:2).
    In the eight-final they played vs Germany and were in Front for the First time but then surprisingly still lost 1:2. Maybe something like that will happen again.

4. Senior Member
    Germany

Yeeeaaah Final
    At least we have success in Football, if we cant have Success in Eurovision.

5. Senior Member
    Germany

U21 EC: Check
    Confed Cup: Check
    Eurovision: ..Oh wait...
    Likes  CPV4931, EscGeek, whiteshoes liked this post

6. Ninja
    Portugal

Congratulations well deserved
    What's up with these south american teams playing in such an aggressive way? Happy that also won today!

7. Veteran
    Germany

Nominating under-21 players + B squad players to Confed Cup squad -> still win the Confed Cup

Nominating those young players who are still left to Under-21 Euro squad -> still win the Euro

Great weekend for us. I like to point out that both teams (under 21 and confed cup team) proved mental strength and that was a quality we seemed to have lost in the last decades (as one could see in various World Cup and Euro semi finals and finals). We saw 11 men on the pitch today and no kids. That's an improvement

I think players such as Özil and even Müller aren't needed anymore. Well, one can always need Müller somehow. But there is no doubt that Löw still put the trust in the players that won the World Cup in 2014

8. Veteran
    Germany

Likes  Edward liked this post

9. Wizard
    Russian Federation

Congrats in wining the Confederations cup , but at the same time the Mannschaft got their kiss death curse for next FIFA World Cup 2018 saddly , i mean if who won 3 times the tournment consecutively didn't won the WC (2005, 2009 and 2013), i dobut that the Mans can break the curse, ofc nothing is imposible, but let's see how this young generation players can do vs South American teams and European teams in next year!

BTW.. proved to be a great host for next year as well! Also they could able to win and host ESC without poblems in any of their Football Stadiums, i didn't hear or read any incidents during the tournment
    Vist OGAE Rest of the World site:
    http://nimbleinity.com/DHtM

10. Junkie
    Portugal

I never questioned 's hosting capacity. They did a great job with Eurovision back in 2009 and now they've done it again on this Confederations Cup. We're talking about the biggest country on Earth after all.

Final impressions:

Showed some signs of improvement. Deserved better luck in their final match against If only as a reward prize for such great hosting (really looking forward to next year's WC now). Player that stood out the most for me: Smolov

Sort of shockingly the most aggressive team in the competition. Quarrels with Mexicans and boy, did they give our pretty boy André Silva a good beating (ripped-off jersey attests for that). Player that stood out the most: Boxall - someone I'd hire as a bodyguard rather than as a football player. Also a shoutout to Anthony Hudson, I read his life story and I'm glad he came out on top. Might have a bright future ahead if given the right chances.

What goes around come around. Moreno stole us the victory on the first match in the last minute and now Pepe stole them the opportunity to seal 3rd place on the last minute as well. I wasn't impressed by how they defended at all but their attacking movements were decent. Player that stood out the most: Fabian - That goal against Germany...

Almost perfect tournament for us. As already mentioned Moreno took us the chance of a 100% victorious group stage phase. Then against Chile...well, we had penalty luck on our side last year during Euro 2016 and now I suppose that "what goes around comes around" also hit us. I was quite displeased back then because I believe we didn't field the best team on that match and we couldn't have made worse picks for penalty takers then either (Quaresma, Nani, Moutinho...really? ). That match could have gone either way after extra time though I believe that on regular time we played the best. I admit we got quite lucky on extra time though - first the penalty that wasn't seen being committed by Fonte and then that post+crossbar combo.
    I think we were on top against Mexico today as well and that they were just lucky with the own goal (and benefited from Semedo playing...another Benfica product to be sold by the millions he isn't worth Renato-deja-vu...). Pepe goal brought justice right in the end and then Adrien did what he usually does the best at Sporting (why he was substituted vs. Chile and not considered for the penalty shootout is still beyond me...).
    If I'd have to name a player that stood out perhaps I'd say Cédric. But I already knew what he's worth. But seeing him being recognized by Europe's giants on the newspapers feels deserved. Things could have been very different if we had Guerreiro available for more than just a match...unfortunate injury. Though Eliseu did well in replacing him.
    Patrício was very solid as usual and this might be the time for him to leave my Sporting at last. A bit crazy how he's still with us but that's to our benefit anyway, so..
    André Silva could have been up there with the top goal scorers but a handful of goalkeepers stole him from certain goals. He's the striker we've been looking for since Pauleta and I wish him the best at Milan.
    As for Ronaldo, he was in good shape for the most part but I thought it was very unprofessional of him to leave the squad just because we didn't make it to the final. Perhaps he should have tried scoring a penalty kick against Chile when noticing things weren't going our way instead of waiting to be the one scoring the winning penalty...
    And I don't care of his lab made kids excuse. Pizzi postponed his honey moon for instance. Hell, Srna's father died after his first match on Euro last year and he went back home to attend the funeral and came back right away...sure that the Confederations Cup isn't as prestigious as the Euro but in my optic there's just no excuse from a team captain to behave this way. Once a diva, always a diva

Surprisingly the worst team in the competition. I didn't expect them to do worse than NZ before the competition started. But they were very poor. Long gone are the days of Viduka & co. and that wonderful team who got cheated in WC 2006 against Italy. Player that stood out the most: Cahill, and only for his age..

Whenever I see an African team playing I can't help but think of anarchy. Both in terms of professionalism and tactical knowledge. This version of the Cameroon however is much better than that of 2014's WC who made us all laugh 3 Summers ago. Player who stood out the most: Anguissa - he's really fast and got some good technique.
    Also how Porto don't want to hold on to Aboubakar puzzles me a little (though I understand that now they're obliged to be selling nearly everyone they can or else they'll be sanctioned by UEFA. But perhaps was a mistake to loan him out to Besiktas where he did so well. Had they played in 4-3-3 with him, Soares and André Silva up front they could have had a more interesting campaign..)

Compared to the other Latin American team in the tournament they are superior. Much more solid tactically. Credit to the original Pizzi whom I miss watching play for Barcelona during the 90's. I can't single out a true individual talent though. Sanchez was for the most part very inconsequent in his actions and Vidal is all looks and intensity but beyond that there's not much to him.
    They benefited from penalty luck and a group with a naive Cameroon team and a disappointing Australian one.
    I don't know who takes home the prize for most bitchy and quarreling team of the tournament, if them or Mexico, but their attitude vs. Germany was typical not knowing how to lose that you see so often in these Latin (Italy, etc.) teams that lack emotional discipline.
    Player that stood out the most: I'll still mention Vargas. It's still not too late to move back to Europe and give it another try. He just needs to absorb that discipline I just mentioned though.

Before the tournament when I learned they were sending a "B" team I thought something along the likes of their Olympic team from last Summer with the Bender brothers, etc.
    That one kind of sucked (save Süle ofc).
    Instead we were all served pure class for two weeks. And if this is not the "A" team yet...I can't wait to see what will they do on their max. force next Summer when back in Russia.
    Very deserved win at the end of a successful campaign. Löw's detractors in Germany are probably eating their own words right now. An intelligent move in the end.
    Germany's capacity to form world class players never ceases to amaze me.
    I like how these very talented players were given a chance to mature at international level and give good headaches to Löw in the near future.
    And I like how they faced the matches...they weren't out there to trash other teams like they could have done (and perhaps it would have been better for the overall competition's spectacle). But instead we saw a Mannshaft that had no problems giving possession away. This allowed the team to practice tactical positioning when not in control and even more importantly to solidify defensive routines. And also give a chance to their goalkeepers to have some work and shine (ok, let's pretend Leno never played that first match).
    It was nice to see players like Brandt, Stindl or Goretzka being given a chance.
    Rüdiger did a very solid campaign.
    Mustafi was the weakeast link though (Arsenal players, whaddya expect ).
    And this now brings me to the two which I thought were the best players in the tournament.
    The very secure and increasingly better-by-the-match goaltender that goes by the name of Marc-André ter Stegen. His time at Barcelona has been doing wonders for him and it shows. No wonder Bravo was shipped to Manchester for the season.
    And I think it was an utter joke to give Bravo the golden glove award for the best keeper of the tournament. Stegen was by far the best out there in Russia. I could understand it being given to Bravo if for organization reasons (since other teams had gone home already and Portugal and Chile were in Moscow). But you had ter Stegen out on the field...to give the prize to his not-even-substitute at Barcelona can only be understood as some sort of silly consolation prize for the Chileans.
    Bravo did a good WC 3 years ago, I'll give you that. But during these past 2 weeks he was no better than the likes of Stegen, Patrício, the NZ goalkeeper (Marinovic?). Even Ochoa was better today. Or Ondoa who made me laugh with his over-theatrical saves (ok, not but pmsl at that guy ).
    Was it for the 3 penalties saved against us in the semi? Come on. We had a player who can't take 90 mins anymore (Quaresma), another who plays at a decaying team (Nani @ Valencia) and Moutinho who in over 100 games for the team didn't even score 10 goals.
    So very undeserved. Ter Stegen should have got that award. Team was much more secure since he started playing. Only thing he needs to correct: needs to be more assuring on his saves. He does have the tendency to sometimes defend at two times or to punch the ball out in crosses. Other than that, be rested when Neuer retires, Germans. The great school tradition for the position will go on (Schumacher, Kahn, Lehmann, Illgner, Köpke, Neuer and those 20 others I'm forgetting now).

As for the player that stood out the most for me on Germany's national team and should have won the award for best player of the tournament as well: Timo Werner.
    Great speed, never gives up, knows how to pressure and Germany can thank him for winning today after Marcelo Díaz's blunder.
    Not only a great talent for scoring but also knows to assist. A true team player in the most literal sense of the word. The future looks very bright to him. Red Bull's Dietrich Mateschitz mustn't have been this excited ever since the Vettel days. Let's see how long he lasts in Leipzig though.
    And as for Draxler winning the best player of the tournament trophy...I can see it in two ways: a) they wanted to distribute things evenly and so they just went for the team captain. Who in fact did quite a poor tournament at an individual level. Or then b) It's all about names when it comes to awards so maybe that weighed. Just like Ronaldo who got all those 3 man of the match awards on the first 3 matches because fanatic kids wouldn't stop voting for him online. These kind of voting systems need to stop. It reeks of Eurovision 2006-2009 Bring in the despised juries! In this case it is more than justified.
    Likes  whiteshoes liked this post

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12