Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Semi-final vs. final performance

1. Expert
    Sweden

Semi-final vs. final performance

At times, I feel like the semi-final performances are better than the final performances. Do you agree or disagree? Got any clear examples to it? For an instance, I think both Loreen and Måns was average at best in the semi-final and was multiple times better in the final while for an example Bojana and Elhaida from 2015 performed slightly worse in the final.
    Likes  lavieenrose liked this post

Dihaj - Skeletons

2. Junkie
    Bosnia Herzegovina

Re: Semi-final vs. final performance

I always taught that Rona Nishliu was better in the semi, probably cause I was surprised that it worked well.

I think Serbia is always better in the semi-finals than in the finals.

4. Expert
    France

Personally, while I agree with that assertion overall, it really depends on the artist's skills and personality and if there is a hype surrounding the entry.

Some are indeed improving or getting more confident once in the final after the pressure of potential non-qualification has passed:
    I'd say 2010 2011 2012 2013 2013 2014 2014 2015 2015

On the contrary, some others give a slightly less convincing final performance because it's the one that counts the most and the fear of messing up is natural:
    I'd include 2014 2015 2015 and 2016. While I loved every performance of "Suus", I agree with @randajad: 2012 semi performance was so pitch-perfect that the final one sounded messier, even though it was still great.
    Likes  FilipFromSweden liked this post

5. Veteran
    Greece

Conchita was better in Semifinal.
    Also Jamala the same.

6. Veteran
    Italy

Poli Genova was more confident in the Final, moreover she slayed it <3

7. Amateur
    Australia

I may or may not have watched 2016 many times... But I even noticed when watching the grand final live that she didn't completely nail the dance move that left me stunned in the semi-final... It's the two-bar instrumental fill at the end of the first chorus. In the semi-final, it's incredibly precise, in the grand final not so much...

8. Super Moderator
    Russian Federation

2016 was note perfect in the semi, I think she could have won had she been as good in the final. (She was still great tho)
    'Every day I feel like jesus' - NoraZineb

My current timezone is MSK.

9. Junkie
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by gonzerelli View Post
    I may or may not have watched 2016 many times... But I even noticed when watching the grand final live that she didn't completely nail the dance move that left me stunned in the semi-final... It's the two-bar instrumental fill at the end of the first chorus. In the semi-final, it's incredibly precise, in the grand final not so much...
    She told in interviews she felt bad about making this mistake in the last seconds of the song, because she couldn't 'recover' the flaw :-)

10. Veteran
    Portugal

2013 comes immediately to mind: Margaret performed much better in the Final. It was pretty clear she was very nervous on the semi-final night, but thankfully all of that dissipated when Saturday came around. It showed in the results too, since she was only 4th in the semi-final, but she managed to do as well in the final.

2016 is an example of the opposite. Iveta was much better in the semi, it was perfect.
    Likes  Kairit liked this post

Portugal - Belgium - Armenia - France - Azerbaijan - Denmark - Iceland - Italy - Finland

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast