View Poll Results: How do you rate the entry

Voters
189. You may not vote on this poll
  • 12

    27 14.29%
  • 10

    23 12.17%
  • 8

    26 13.76%
  • 7

    23 12.17%
  • 6

    17 8.99%
  • 5

    24 12.70%
  • 4

    9 4.76%
  • 3

    9 4.76%
  • 2

    9 4.76%
  • 1

    6 3.17%
  • 0

    16 8.47%
Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839
Results 381 to 388 of 388

Thread: SWITZERLAND 2017 - Timebelle - Apollo

  1. Administrator escYOUnited's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    1,077
    #1

    SWITZERLAND 2017 - Timebelle - Apollo




  2. Junkie
    Portugal
    Edward's Avatar
    Gender
    Male
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    1,918
    Location
    Portugal
    #381

    Re: SWITZERLAND 2017 - Timebelle - Apollo

    Song-wise this beats the crap out of a handful of finalists. I suppose the staging didn't help. It's funny though, how selective people can be when say they "judge the music". Also how everyone hates certain entries for "sounding too Disney" but then going to all the Disney & alike blockbusters at the theater all year long. I'm the opposite...can't stand fiction much/don't follow and then get surprised how "dreamy songs" get deemed "too dreamy" by fans of dreamy cinema. Confused? Me too. Deserved the final.

  3. Guru
    Brazil
    Alaska49's Avatar
    Gender
    Male
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    816
    #382

    Re: SWITZERLAND 2017 - Timebelle - Apollo

    in the middle of all the other craziness i never mentioned that this became my 42nd place of the year (43rd will always be the russian non-entry). such horrible staging to the most annoying song of the year. i'm offended it got as close to the final as it did.

  4. Veteran
    Greece
    GRE's Avatar
    Gender
    Male
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    7,060
    Location
    Greece
    #383

    Re: SWITZERLAND 2017 - Timebelle - Apollo

    They were so close.
    But juries of course wouldn't let one of their pets out of the Final
    Likes  ESCada liked this post
     

  5. Ninja
    Sweden
    Fluke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,378
    Location
    Sweden
    #384

    Re: SWITZERLAND 2017 - Timebelle - Apollo

    I don't know why all the fans of this song seem to think the staging was horrible, i guess they just want to shift the blame. Everyone i watched it with thought the staging looked pretty cool. The problem was the song, it simply did not work at all.
    You a furry too? Join facebook.com/groups/EuroFurs

  6. Enthusiast
    Germany
    Realest's Avatar
    Gender
    Male
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    238
    #385

    Re: SWITZERLAND 2017 - Timebelle - Apollo

    Quote Originally Posted by GRE View Post
    They were so close.
    But juries of course wouldn't let one of their pets out of the Final
    Well, Im very glad that the Juries decided to let their pet Anja to the Final and offered Switzerland for her.

  7. Expert
    France
    tuorem's Avatar
    Gender
    Male
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,761
    Location
    Paris
    #386

    Re: SWITZERLAND 2017 - Timebelle - Apollo

    My review of "Apollo":

    -Switzerland isn't an ESC nation I'm a huge fan of. Since I started following Eurovision in 2009, their only effort I liked is "The Last Of Our Kind", so needless to say I'm just taking whatever the Swiss are able to send without any expectation. "Apollo" is a radio-friendly pop song that's in line with today's mainstream music, it could be aired on the radio now as it bears all the codes of the format that has been considered trendy for a couple of years now. Unfortunately, I'm going to say what I already said for most Eurovision entries in 2017 - while it's fine and not unpleasant to listen to, it doesn't have any personality and doesn't stir anything in me. The verses actually are quite nice to the ears, but the arrangements are always the same (I mean, come on! Who hasn't heard these beats and sounds a million times already? That's boring!). Regarding the chorus: it's catchy and radio-friendly, yet it's ordinary and gets annoying quickly because it's repeated quite a lot. I don't feel the bridge either, especially its end and those high notes which aren't pleasant imo. I don't really have much to say about that song overall: it's cute for one listening, and then it's quickly forgotten. I don't like how Eurovision has turned into a series of middle-of-the-road songs: if you want to go for mainstream pop in the contest, then make your song an anthem, otherwise simply try another genre that's less likely to sound like everything else on the market at the moment. Pros: it's pleasant enough overall when it plays. Cons: It's just another generic song, nothing special.

    To me, the highlight of the song would probably be the beginning: I like the first verse, then I start losing interest.

    -Vocally, Miruna doesn't have a vocal tone I appreciate: it's nondescript and not always enjoyable when she hits the higher notes of the chorus and the bridge imo. However, I have to admit she delivers live: with this type of song, it's quite unusual to have someone who can actually perform properly, so props to her. The semi live performance was great, I mean it couldn't have been better sold vocally - the live is better than the overproduced studio version - she even added ad-libs during the last minute (which would have been welcome in the studio track too). The very last note she held sounded a little bit forced imo, but apart from this detail, she convinced me. Great job!

    -Visually, this was a tricky one to stage partly due to its title, and... I don't think they did a bad job actually. It started out with a galaxy of planets (?) on the floor, all around the yellow platform Miruna was standing on. Next to her, the two other members of the band were pretending to play their instruments on their own pink-ish platforms, while there seemed to be like a curtain of reddish orange sparkles displayed on the led background. As the pre-chorus came, it turned to a minimalistic - and almost cartoony - celestial scenery including quite cliché elements reminiscent of mythology and ancient Greece culture. Firstly, I'd like to say I appreciated the colour scheme they opted for: yellow and blue-toned pink aren't a combination we see that often, which is a shame, I think it worked well here (along with the blue sky in the background). I also liked the platforms they used, they were tasteful enough and structured the stage. However, I'm much more guarded as far as the led screen is concerned: Greece (2011) and Italy (2015) did it better to me, here it looked too prosaic and unexpensive to work 100%: it felt too "let's put all the Greek elements we can think of" without any sort of poetic purpose or particular graphic concept behind. I don't say it looked bad, just that it could have looked way better had they played more the metaphorical card. Outfit-wise, I liked Miruna's puffed-out and slightly feathery long yellow dress: it was a nice change after all the white dresses we've seen this year. Yellow is an underrated colour in Eurovision, she rocked it imo. Overall, I found the presentation really solid - the graphics could have been better - yet I liked they made an effort to stand out in this regard.

    -Results-wise, non-qualification was no surprise to me. If they had qualified, they would have do so by the skin of their teeth as "Apollo" - despite being perfectly fine for what it is and claims to be - is a tame tribute to Apollo: the god of arts would have deserved an original masterpiece rather than a pop tune amongst others. In my personal ranking, Switzerland is somewhere in the depths of it. It's "funny" that juries preferred relics over this though, for a split second I thought they valued radio-friendliness and all that stuff... Anyway, I don't believe that they've ever had criteria to follow anymore as their votes have no logic whatsoever. Anyway, see you next year guys! I'm aware the struggle is real to find an act that isn't just ok-ish, hopefully next time someone will turn the tide for you Keep the faith!
    Likes  blue00eyes liked this post
     

  8. Veteran
    Portugal
    DanielLuis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    6,855
    #387

    Re: SWITZERLAND 2017 - Timebelle - Apollo

    Quote Originally Posted by tuorem View Post

    -Visually, this was a tricky one to stage partly due to its title, and... I don't think they did a bad job actually. It started out with a galaxy of planets (?) on the floor, all around the yellow platform Miruna was standing on. Next to her, the two other members of the band were pretending to play their instruments on their own pink-ish platforms, while there seemed to be like a curtain of reddish orange sparkles displayed on the led background. As the pre-chorus came, it turned to a minimalistic - and almost cartoony - celestial scenery including quite cliché elements reminiscent of mythology and ancient Greece culture. Firstly, I'd like to say I appreciated the colour scheme they opted for: yellow and blue-toned pink aren't a combination we see that often, which is a shame, I think it worked well here (along with the blue sky in the background). I also liked the platforms they used, they were tasteful enough and structured the stage. However, I'm much more guarded as far as the led screen is concerned: Greece (2011) and Italy (2015) did it better to me, here it looked too prosaic and unexpensive to work 100%: it felt too "let's put all the Greek elements we can think of" without any sort of poetic purpose or particular graphic concept behind. I don't say it looked bad, just that it could have looked way better had they played more the metaphorical card. Outfit-wise, I liked Miruna's puffed-out and slightly feathery long yellow dress: it was a nice change after all the white dresses we've seen this year. Yellow is an underrated colour in Eurovision, she rocked it imo. Overall, I found the presentation really solid - the graphics could have been better - yet I liked they made an effort to stand out in this regard.
    Have you seen the Swiss NF staging? I think an adaptation of that to the ESC stage would have been much better. It gave the performance a very classy and professional feeling, and the petals falling in the final chorus would have worked very well too. It would also have been an element that would make the performance stick to televoter's minds.


    Portugal - Belgium - Armenia - France - Azerbaijan - Denmark - Iceland - Italy - Finland

  9. Expert
    France
    tuorem's Avatar
    Gender
    Male
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    4,761
    Location
    Paris
    #388

    Re: SWITZERLAND 2017 - Timebelle - Apollo

    Quote Originally Posted by DanielLuis View Post
    Have you seen the Swiss NF staging? I think an adaptation of that to the ESC stage would have been much better. It gave the performance a very classy and professional feeling, and the petals falling in the final chorus would have worked very well too. It would also have been an element that would make the performance stick to televoter's minds.
    I hadn't until now: I agree the confetti/petals would have visually made the performance stand out much more. However, while their NF staging was classy (far more than their Eurovision one), I personally feel like it didn't suit the mood of "Apollo": it's beautiful but it was too dark and cosy for this song, which imo required movement and brighter colours.

    My judgment may be biased because I didn't see that staging first, but if I mute the video, I could think Timebelle were singing a ballad. Maybe with a lighter contrast and more lights it would have worked though.
    Likes  DanielLuis liked this post
     

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright © 2009-2016 escunited.com. All rights reserved. Designed by Trece All times are GMT +2. The time now is 22:43.