View Poll Results: How do you rate the entry?

Voters
305. You may not vote on this poll

56 18.36%

28 9.18%

42 13.77%

25 8.20%

20 6.56%

25 8.20%

12 3.93%

19 6.23%

11 3.61%

10 3.28%

57 18.69%
Page 406 of 406 FirstFirst ... 306356396402403404405406
Results 4,051 to 4,054 of 4054

Thread: SWEDEN 2017 - Robin Bengtsson - I Can't Go On

SWEDEN 2017 - Robin Bengtsson - I Can't Go On

2. Senior Member
    Germany

Re: SWEDEN 2017 - Robin Bengtsson - I Can't Go On

Dont know how, but since a few days "I cant go on" made it in my Top5.

3. Senior Member
    Germany

Today I listened to Nanos "hold on" in Radio Regenbogen. Im very surprised that Melfest-Songs are known here.

4. Expert
    France

My review of "I Can't Go On":

-Sweden is a country like no other at the moment since they've succeeded at hyping themselves like crazy this decade. They've won two times in recent years and it seems they just can't let go of the final top 10. Without going into detail, I'll just say that - despite their supposed current supremacy - I'm not part of those who were really blown away by what they brought to Eurovision overall. Since 2009, I liked "La Voix" (even though it has aged), "It's My Life" (the black sheep), "Popular" (if one skips the lyrics), "Euphoria" and "Undo", which still represents a pretty decent amount of entries. Yet, I think they could do much better than all that were they willing to outdo themselves. People often like to say how Swedish pop music is some kind of holy grail, honestly either it depends on your taste or we haven't seen the best of them yet in the contest. Even "Euphoria", which proved to be one of the most appreciated and remembered winners of all time, was imo not a masterpiece either. Personally, I think Loreen was the biggest asset, not the song itself ("My Heart Is Refusing Me" - the original version of 2011 - was miles better imo). Anyway, since "Undo", the Swedish entries have been like whatever to me: it's like Sweden turned into a Denmark with elaborate presentations, making their latest successes even more confusing to me. This year was the second time I followed Melfest live (after 2012), and the outcome wasn't what I expected or hoped for at all as Swedes sent Robin Bengtsson and his song "I Can't Go On": a typical mid-tempo retro-ish piece of scandipop. It starts with a synth-and-snap intro, leading directly to a verse that is ridiculously simple in its construction as it's made up of two lines, one of which is repeated once (both melodically and lyrically). A clear beat then gives a proper pace to the song while the melodic progression quickens a little, interspersed by "oh-ohs": that part is so reminiscent of something Justin Timberlake would sing ("Can't Stop The Feeling", anyone?) that it almost comes across as mimicry. I'm not of fan of Timberlake, so: meh. Then comes the pre-chorus that fortunately gets away from the beginning with longer and more melodic lines, the background synth work is quite cool here imo, too bad it's just a transition. Finally, the chorus kicks off with a construction that's unfortunately identical to the verse. Despite the relative power of the instrumentation here, the composition is overly repetitive and uninspired, it loops and drags on. The next minute is a copy and paste of the first one, so I'll skip to the instrumental bridge that's half an extension of chorus arrangements and a repetition of the intro. That's quite weird because, although the Melfest lineup was very poor, that song was probably one of the worst options available due to it being so generic, by the number and unremarkable. I truly wonder what the international jury saw in it: Nano, Mariette or Jon Henrik in particular (that missed opportunity though) would have been more understandable choices imo. To me, this song just screams "let's see how far we can get with a lazy ass tune for the lolz". Pros: it's well-produced, as always. Cons: it's a literal void in terms of artistic merit, repetitive construction, meh arrangements, no twist, insipid lyrics, embarrassing Timberlake mimicry.

The highlight of the song is definitely the pre-chorus, to me that's the only part that's got a spark of something going on. The rest is nothing to write home about.

-Vocally, I have to admit I find it difficult to say something positive about Robin. Firstly, I don't like the tone of his voice, it's so nasal that it sounds duck-like at times, I wonder whether he does this on purpose or not tbh. He had no trouble hitting the notes, but then again, the song didn't require particular vocal skills. Secondly, he's a very stiff and cold performer - that may be his nature since he seems to be like that in real life too - but he just doesn't shine on stage, there is no way he could elevate the song with such an attitude.

-Visually, Swedes once again had to bring something extra because the song wasn't enough to stand out on its own imo. So they thought of starting the performance backstage, Robin was alone for a few seconds before four dancers joined him for a choreographed routine. An effective shot was when they stepped on stage and one could see the audience in the background. The five men reached the treadmills in time for the chorus, I'm not a fan of those (Isaiah had one too) but I see why it was necessary for their presentation. In the background, the visuals resembled some kind of old video game at an early development stage with the lines and polygons everywhere. I liked the light blue/pink/pinky purple colour scheme, very vintage-looking. After that, there was another choreographied part making the most of the treadmills. Then they all performed a dance move with their feet (which I can't stand anymore after Malta 2012 and Spain 2016), right before the coolest part of the whole thing when everyone struck a pose under flashing lights as if those bank employees suddenly turned into models Overall, it was - as expected - well-thought of and rehearsed like hell, but also sterile and robotic somehow, there never is room for spontaneity or emotions. There are indeed good ideas in this, but the problem I have is that - once again this year - the presentation is too extra for a song like that (same thing for "Heroes"). I mean, ok you got visuals, but where is the song? If only Swedes took their music as seriously as their visuals, we would be having masterpieces year after year, that's for sure.

-Results-wise, I wondered what was going on with Sweden this year, I low-key expected this to not qualify tbh. But no, Sweden qualified and managed to snatch another top 5 (thank God juries are there to reward "quality" ). Fair enough, 8th place in televoting was already generous to me, but third place with juries was hilarious. Once again, Swedes are the only ones to manage to enter the juries' top 3 with something other than a ballad, kinda strange but whatevs. Too bad Robin beat Francesco by a few points though, "Occidentali's Karma" deserved that fifth place more imo. In my personal ranking, Sweden is somewhere near the bottom of it for the third time in a row: I can't contend myself with a meh gift in a nice wrapping paper, if you know what I mean. I was rooting for Jon Henrik and Aninia, who had imo the best song on offer and would have surely caught viewers off guard because it's not what Sweden is expected to send. Too bad. Sure thing is that I'm not likely to follow Melfest live again soon, it's not for me: creative stagings don't make up for the lack of musical ambition. Anyway, good luck to Sweden in Lisbon (even though they don't really need it), I keep a tiny bit of hope for a good song, but I won't hold my breath. See you next year

5. Junior Member
    France

Anyone have his address of his barber shop ? It seems Robin Bengtsson have open his own shop 8)