View Poll Results: How do you rate the entry?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll

51 28.18%

8 4.42%

6 3.31%

18 9.94%

16 8.84%

16 8.84%

12 6.63%

10 5.52%

10 5.52%

12 6.63%

22 12.15%
Page 64 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14546061626364656667 LastLast

Thread: SAN MARINO 2017 - Valentina Monetta & Jimmie Wilson - Spirit of the Night

SAN MARINO 2017 - Valentina Monetta & Jimmie Wilson - Spirit of the Night

2. Guru
    Poland

Re: SAN MARINO 2017 - Valentina Monetta & Jimmie Wilson - Spirit of the Night

Quote Originally Posted by tuorem View Post
    Me too, but I think that it would still be an ideal move. Back in 2013, she said in an interview that the reason why she wasn't competing with her own material was because jazz was a niche genre for the contest. She was right to a certain extent, it's easier to sell Swedish imports, but people like Raphael Gualazzi, Rona Nishliu and Jamala were all involved in jazz music (and they all did really well). Salvador is serving us another kind of jazz tea and he apparently is bound to do quite well....

If all that isn't an incentive to show what sort of jazzwoman she is This could help San Marino not to be blacklisted by juries and they could surprise with an entry whose quality people wouldn't expect from them. In 2014, they qualified with a ballad, so instead of going for straight pop with no results, a jazz ballad would definitely be something worth a try. They don't have many options to begin with, but I can't understand why they haven't considered that.
    Totally agree.
    Long time no see, but here are my few cents. I love their voices and performance was great imo, but it's the song that dragged them down. Ralph did so much better with Crisalide and Maybe, in more ballad style. His uptempo stuff nowadays stands out as very dated imo. Both Jimmy and Valentina have voice to pull off something jazzy. It was a wasted opportunity. I am grateful to Ralph for all of helping San Marino and Valentina so much but if she's to participate in the future again, God I hope it will be something more in jazz style and composed by someone else.
    Likes  RainyWoods, tuorem, ZoboCamel, 94ayd liked this post

3. Enthusiast
    Australia

Well I was loyal unlike some

4. Junior Member
    Serbia

Everything was good except that backing vocals, they ruined the song, and made it sound like crowd, jam, many people randomly speaking noise.

5. Legend
    Germany

When will Ralph Siegel stop to send such songs every year. No surprise for me.

6. Veteran
    Sweden

What a drama queen move to withdraw. I loved their performance and many others did, but everyone can't qualify and there we're even better entries not qualifying

7. Enthusiast
    England

It's quite simple: send a good song for once.

Valentina can sing, she's a good performer, she just needs the right song. I've never rated San Marino higher than my bottom 5? I'd love to see them do well... they need to stop with the awful dated pop.

If Valentina came back with something different (yes, perhaps a jazz entry) I'm sure San Marino could do very well.
    2018: [12] Finland, [10] Israel, [8] Austria, [7] Portugal, [6] Bulgaria, [5] Italy, [4] Germany, [3] France, [2] Australia, [1] Azerbaijan

8. Addict
    Italy

San Marino should be grateful that once in a year someone in Europe knows that San Marino exist... they should think it's a spotlight for tourism.

9. Veteran
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by darkap View Post
    San Marino should be grateful that once in a year someone in Europe knows that San Marino exist... they should think it's a spotlight for tourism.
    I think those prople should be ashamed for not knowing that San Marino exists.

Quote Originally Posted by FilipFromSweden View Post
    What a drama queen move to withdraw. I loved their performance and many others did, but everyone can't qualify and there we're even better entries not qualifying
    But let's face it. San Marino is one of the countries to be underrated just because they are small, poor and not popular. They have sent great entries (at least I think so) and out of all the times, they qualified just once and it was also party because Valentina was popular among Eurovision fans. They are not jury friendly country either. (In 2014, 8th in Televote and 14th in Jury, overall 10th out of 16 entries - which would have no chance if we had, like, 18 entries in that semi final).

I feel San Marino feeling alienated. They were not asked for the new voting system, or even informed beforehands and they are trying hard to participate rather than other countries which have good economy. I hope they won't withdraw though.
    Likes  tuorem liked this post

11. Veteran
    Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by LesterMalvo View Post
    But let's face it. San Marino is one of the countries to be underrated just because they are small, poor and not popular. They have sent great entries (at least I think so) and out of all the times, they qualified just once and it had the effect of Valentina being popular among Eurovision fans. They are not jury friendly country either. (In 2014, 8th in Televote and 14th in Jury, overall 10th out of 16 entries - which would have no chance if we had, like, 18 entries in that semi final).

I feel San Marino feeling alienated. They were not asked for the new voting system, or even informed beforehands and they are trying hard to participate rather than other countries which have good economy. I hope they won't withdraw though.
    I think the ''a country's reputation stops them from success'' card is so old. Any nation can win, who knew the ones fighting for the title would one day be and not something like ? Their entry was fun and nice, but if their song had been in the 1994 edition of Eurovision no one would've raised an eyebrow and thought hey this sounds so futuristic. The song is literally 20 years old. I'm sure there is someone in San Marino who could write a more modern and yet qualitative song.

And San Marino knew what they signed up for when they entered Eurovision. They can complain about the new voting system: but it's highly unlikely it would ever stop them from winning/succeeding. They also had the chance to protest by not taking part this year
    Likes  94ayd liked this post