View Poll Results: How do you rate the entry?

Voters
181. You may not vote on this poll

51 28.18%

8 4.42%

6 3.31%

18 9.94%

16 8.84%

16 8.84%

12 6.63%

10 5.52%

10 5.52%

12 6.63%

22 12.15%
Page 63 of 67 FirstFirst ... 1353596061626364656667 LastLast

Thread: SAN MARINO 2017 - Valentina Monetta & Jimmie Wilson - Spirit of the Night

SAN MARINO 2017 - Valentina Monetta & Jimmie Wilson - Spirit of the Night

2. Legend
    Scotland

Re: SAN MARINO 2017 - Valentina Monetta & Jimmie Wilson - Spirit of the Night

Valentina and Jimmie need to hold their heads high after tonight's performance. So much infectious joy and energy, and it just made both my mother and I smile so much. Well done guys, and sorry you won't be in the final over the awful Romania and Belgium!
    Likes  RainyWoods liked this post

2018: 12 CYPRUS / 10 ISRAEL / 8 BULGARIA/ 7 Finland / 6 Denmark / 5 Czech Republic / 4 Estonia / 3 Azerbaijan / 2 Australia / 1 Moldova

3. Senior Member
    Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by RainyWoods View Post
    Well, 29% of Eurofans on this forum gave her song this year 12 points in our poll (a little more than 1%), so not all are tired. San Marino is an extremely small country and there's not many options available. A good chunk of fans enjoy seeing her at the contest. You're perhaps tired of seeing her, and there are others too, but a healthy amount of the fandom loves her.
    Well she did only go once to the final out of 4 chances where she even became one of the last. So i guess she needs to let go the Eurovision dream or find a better composer/producer or search for an other talented singer. I am sure she is not the only one in San Marino with a good voice.

4. Legend
    Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by wlhlwn View Post
    I thing 99% of Eurofans is tired to see her face every year in Eurovision...
    There's a term for this; it's called the fallacy of the lonely fact (actually it's called about ten different things but that's my personal favorite). In essence, "I don't like Valentina so 99% of Eurofans don't like her either."
    Likes  RainyWoods, ZoboCamel, Lupus liked this post

Congrats Jamala/Salvador/Netta, best consecutive winners ever

5. Hero
    Germany

Maybe with a good song but not with this cheap trashy Ralph Siegel disco tunes
    I will agree that despite his undeniable merits of the past, Siegel's music is now outdated and holds her back. On the other side, I don't know about the financial condition but it might be Siegel's money which enables her to compete. It's a tricky situation. But yes, a competitive song would likely be not from Siegel.

6. Veteran
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Musicosity View Post
    I will agree that despite his undeniable merits of the past, Siegel's music is now outdated and holds her back. On the other side, I don't know about the financial condition but it might be Siegel's money which enables her to compete. It's a tricky situation. But yes, a competitive song would likely be not from Siegel.
    You're right, Siegel has been keeping San Marino in the contest financially-speaking, hence why they're stuck with his songs. Honestly, I think he is a great composer, the melodies and harmonies are always more interesting and intricate than most Eurovision entries. The flaws are obviously the dated arrangements though, if he could delegate that to someone else, I'm sure it would improve their chances.
    Likes  Musicosity, RainyWoods liked this post

7. Mentor
    Europe

It's time for San Marino to send another singer. I'm sure you can find a baker or butcher in San Marino who can sing a song.
    Likes  FilipFromSweden liked this post

Can I get an A-women up in this beeyotch?

8. Hero
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by tuorem View Post
    Me too, but I think that it would still be an ideal move. Back in 2013, she said in an interview that the reason why she wasn't competing with her own material was because jazz was a niche genre for the contest. She was right to a certain extent, it's easier to sell Swedish imports, but people like Raphael Gualazzi, Rona Nishliu and Jamala were all involved in jazz music (and they all did really well). Salvador is serving us another kind of jazz tea and he apparently is bound to do quite well....

If all that isn't an incentive to show what sort of jazzwoman she is This could help San Marino not to be blacklisted by juries and they could surprise with an entry whose quality people wouldn't expect from them. In 2014, they qualified with a ballad, so instead of going for straight pop with no results, a jazz ballad would definitely be something worth a try. They don't have many options to begin with, but I can't understand why they haven't considered that.
    These are exactly my thoughts, except that I also estimate her chances to make an impact to be higher if she did not just follow up to someone else's success in the same genre.

On the other hand, Jazz has a very wide range of styles, and Valentina would likely pick something decidedly more swingy than Salvador.
    Likes  tuorem liked this post

9. See You Space Cowboy
    UK

Well she did only go once to the final out of 4 chances where she even became one of the last. So i guess she needs to let go the Eurovision dream or find a better composer/producer or search for an other talented singer. I am sure she is not the only one in San Marino with a good voice.
    That's true she only reached the final once and that was a humongous achievement for a microstate. If you were a small, humble jazz singer from a country with 31,000 people, and you were asked to represent your country at the biggest, most watched contest in the world, i'm sure you'd consider. Valentina was approached four times because Ralph Siegel loves and believes in her so much. I wouldn't have turned down those chances. San Marino need funding from composers/artists. Going to Eurovision is no small task for them. Without extra funding they probably wouldn't be able to be here. I believe Serhat payed for mostly everything last year, and Ralph contributes towards Valentina's entries. From the beginning it's been many of our wishes that Valentina returns with a sophisticated jazz song, but it's not in her hands or ours.

And i'd like to see other singers from San Marino as well. I just want this charming microstate to stay with us. They've brought me so much joy over the past 6 years.
    Likes  tuorem, lavieenrose, Lupus, 94ayd liked this post

10. Veteran
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Musicosity View Post
    These are exactly my thoughts, except that I also estimate her chances to make an impact to be higher if she did not just follow up to someone else's success in the same genre.

On the other hand, Jazz has a very wide range of styles, and Valentina would likely pick something decidedly more swingy than Salvador.
    Yes, she's the swing type definitely I totally agree with you that it might come across as copying, but what else would she sing? She loves jazz, soul, blues. Anything in those segments would make her shine, as long as it's mature.
    Likes  Musicosity liked this post

11. Hero
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by tuorem View Post
    Yes, she's the swing type definitely I totally agree with you that it might come across as copying, but what else would she sing? She loves jazz, soul, blues. Anything in those segments would make her shine.
    Agreed 100%. It's her thing, definitely. And I hope Salvador's example encourages her to try it in the ESC.
    Likes  tuorem liked this post