View Poll Results: How do you rate the entry?

Voters
278. You may not vote on this poll

32 11.51%

10 3.60%

8 2.88%

18 6.47%

6 2.16%

25 8.99%

16 5.76%

29 10.43%

17 6.12%

18 6.47%

99 35.61%
Page 256 of 256 FirstFirst ... 156206246252253254255256
Results 2,551 to 2,555 of 2555

Thread: RUSSIA 2017 - Not taking part

RUSSIA 2017 - Not taking part

2. Wizard
    France

Re: RUSSIA 2017 - Not taking part

Quote Originally Posted by tuorem View Post
    My review of "Flame Is Burning":

-Given that Eurovision was held in Ukraine, I didn't know what to expect from Russia this year (maybe a boring generic peace song a la "What If" or "A Million Voices") and, after the drama started to grow (especially on this forum) when Yulia was selected, the song got lost in the noise and barely received any feedback on a musical level. I first discovered the song while listening to the official Eurovision album and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Strangely enough, I've always liked Russian entries that were unpopular among fans ("Mamo", "Lost And Forgotten", "Shine" are my jam; even their winning song "Believe" was good to me), and "Flame Is Burning" is no exception: finally Russians got back to their own sound as it is a typical Russian ballad with a very melodic composition and arrangements one would consider antiquated in Western Europe. Personally, I couldn't care less about the "antiquated" part as long as it retains some charm, which it does in this case imo. I like how it builds up by waves: it starts out with an atmospheric and minimalistic piano accompaniment, then transitions into a solo guitar at the beginning of the chorus before strings and percussions layers come later on. I think the omnipresent backing voices do add more depth and dynamism to the main vocal melodic lines. By the way, it's probably one of the richest compositions of the year, which takes on full significance in piano covers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5ru7YQqCI8. The whole song oozes melancholy and hope at the same time. I would have preferred the song to be in Russian, but the lyrics - even though they aren't a work of art by any means - are quite touching and less cheesy to me than other "hope messages" we've heard in the contest. Sometimes less is more. It's a shame the song didn't make it to the contest because I really liked it. Pros: the melancholic and Russian-sounding melody, I think the song is an ear-worm (as much as a ballad can be), especially the chorus. Cons: I didn't mind Yulia's pronunciation (that was cute actually), however, it would have been way better in RUSSIAN, thank you for taking notes!

To me, the highlight of the song is definitely the start of the first chorus with the guitar, which gives me an almost acoustic and - dare I say - slight stadium anthem vibe. I love the chorus, but that particular part is the absolute best, genius piece of arrangement imo. The crescendo and pace change at the end of the bridge is also noteworthy.

-Vocally, Yulia seems to know how to sing (looking at other videos of her). It's a pity that there isn't a live version of "Flame Is Burning" out there. Even if there probably would have been flaws (which are unavoidable given her condition), I'm sure it would have taken the song to a whole new dimension.

-Visually, I think the official music video could have been an appropriate staging for Kyiv: the stage plunged into the dark with white spotlights, smoke on the floor, a progressive camera focus on Yulia, white flashing lights during the second verse, and eventually orange lights and sparkles from the bridge to the end. I don't think they would even have needed to use the led background, the song and message were accessible enough to not be diminished by a simple presentation mainly made of moving spotlights.

-Results-wise, we'll of course never know how "Flame Is Burning" would have fared. I guess juries wouldn't have voted for it, but people would have massively supported it: I didn't believe for a second Russia might have failed to qualify with this. I think it would have been a definite top ten, if not more. In my personal ranking, this song is my 9th favourite entry of this edition and, it might still gain a few places if it keeps growing on me like it does. I cross my fingers so that next year I won't have to endure another "Get You", "What If" or "You're My Only One"; after the victory of Portugal, I hope Russians will showcase their language again and why not send a non-formatted song. That would be great, as you could make the most of the "minimal" support you can count on every year by sending riskier efforts. See you next time Rossija
    This was one of your greatest and best reviews of ESC entries so far. Keep going!

To be honest, I didn't believe in the fact that could've actually failed to qualify through the grand final, even though a lot of people did assume it. This entry was totally able to achieve a top 5 result in regards to the horrendous quality of some songs, which easily made through both of the semi-finals.
    Likes  NemesisNick, tuorem liked this post

'But in the end you're standing there, you're the one who always cares.'
    -I Stand, Gabriela Gunčíková

3. Veteran
    Italy

Considering the fact Armenia was placed in bottom in many countries of Eastern Europe I really doubt that Russia could've qualify with Flame is Burning. Especially with juries.

4. Enthusiast
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by John1 View Post

This entry was totally able to achieve a top 5 result[...].
    I just wanted to remind you that Italy was 6th with 334 Points. And even more talented Alexey, Anastasia, Peter Nalitch didnt reach Top 5 nearly.

5. Wizard
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Realest View Post
    I just wanted to remind you that Italy was 6th with 334 Points. And even more talented Alexey, Anastasia, Peter Nalitch didnt reach Top 5 nearly.
    What are you dealing with Italy for? I mean, Francesco didn't perform quite well, his vocals were mostly below-average, and I have to say that all of the artists that you mentioned weren't competing in the same contests.

Indeed, some things can differ regarding some editions, such as the overall quality of the entries, the amount of participating countries and the voting system. However, it doesn't matter as Julia wasn't able to take part this year, then we may never know what would've happened.
    Likes  randajad liked this post

6. Wizard
    France

Quote Originally Posted by RomanFromRussia View Post
    Considering the fact Armenia was placed in bottom in many countries of Eastern Europe I really doubt that Russia could've qualify with Flame is Burning. Especially with juries.
    Armenia isn't Russia though.
    Moreover, I highly doubt that juries did underrate the performance of Artsvik, as she didn't seem to get strong vocals on the day of the dress rehearsal. What's the point with Russia? I do imply that she would've made easily through the grand final, because of her emotional song and of her outstanding vocals when she's singing without all of the audio effects of the studio version. It's such a shame that we weren't able to see her performing at the ESC, or at least at the Moscow Pre-Party. However, Russia might absolutely know that Yulia wouldn't be allowed to travel to Ukraine, thus they probably did it on purpose.

I can't believe that Russia would've failed to qualify though, no matter how her chances would've been killed with the jury voting. I do assume that many people across Europe would've voted for it and that all of the Eurofans would've been quite astonished with the whole thing.

In a nutshell: A strong entry with a breathtaking voice () and a strong entry with a weak live performance (). Furthermore, the most important fact is that we ALREADY knew how the live performance from Yulia would look like in the videoclip instead of the one from Artsvik.