View Poll Results: How do you rate the entry?

Voters
279. You may not vote on this poll

32 11.47%

11 3.94%

8 2.87%

18 6.45%

6 2.15%

25 8.96%

16 5.73%

29 10.39%

17 6.09%

18 6.45%

99 35.48%
Page 255 of 256 FirstFirst ... 155205245251252253254255256 LastLast
Results 2,541 to 2,550 of 2559

Thread: RUSSIA 2017 - Not taking part

RUSSIA 2017 - Not taking part

2. Ninja
    Brazil

Re: RUSSIA 2017 - Not taking part

i love that eurovision is in constant evolution and i think all eras of eurovision are wonderful with their qualities and their flaws.

well, except the part when ireland could win by farting on stage (almost literally what happened in 1994 tbh). never forget.

3. Veteran
    Sweden

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska49 View Post
    i love that eurovision is in constant evolution and i think all eras of eurovision are wonderful with their qualities and their flaws.

well, except the part when ireland could win by farting on stage (almost literally what happened in 1994 tbh). never forget.
    Well, to some extent true, but Eurovision was dreadfully dated back in the days, and basically all you had to do was to scream a ballad in French or English (or maybe Italian) and you'd win the jury love back in the 80's-mid 90's and yeah, being Ireland while doing this certainly helped
    Likes  midnightsun liked this post

4. Legend
    Japan

i don't even know what would happen if juries existed in the 2008 final though. everything in the top 7 was very un-jury, even norway. can you imagine israel winning while placing 8th in the televote? lol
    Omigod, it's an opportunity for a frivolous contrafactual A disclaimer before we begin that Israel were my favorite in the 2008 final and that I might be engaging in a bit of wishful thinking.

They would've had to:
    Beat Russia by 148 points
    Beat Ukraine by 106 points
    Beat Greece by 94 points
    Beat Armenia by 75 points
    Beat Norway by 58 points
    Beat Serbia by 36 points
    Beat Turkey by 14 points
    Beat Azerbaijan by 8 points
    Hold off everything below them

Azerbaijan is a write-off. I love "Day After Day" too but...come on. Turkey isn't particularly difficult either; sure, it's probably more jury-palatable presentation-wise than Turkey's other attempts at rock music, but 14 points isn't a tall order. Serbia's the first real challenge on the list. Don't like the song personally but her performance was pretty convincing, and the song is rather watered down. Still, if the juries really ended up liking Israel...I suppose possible. Norway on the surface would look to be the finisher, but the juries, at least these days, aren't really fond of vocal restraint, which that song kind of has. 58 points is hardly insurmountable. Armenia/Greece/Ukraine I feel the need to consider as a group. Ani Lorak's writhing I could see being a turn-off (how...ironic) for the juries, but if "Aphrodisiac" can come 3rd in a 2012 semi in a jury vote, "Secret Combination" and "Qele, Qele" might've had a shot at something. And 94 points is a lot of points. But let's go a little further into this fantasyland and assume they do get through Greece & Armenia. 148 points is a massive margin to defeat the televote winner. But it's happened, and for us to have made it this far, the jury would have to REALLY love "The Fire In Your Eyes," so..........

Basically, the scenario where Israel wins in 2008 involves:
    1) A small pack of songs crushing everything else in the jury vote
    2) That pack of songs not including Norway, Russia, Armenia, or Greece and rather being made up of some combination of Portugal, Georgia, even Denmark (Denmark came 11th with the juries in 2015 using the same schtick when just about everyone was getting real sick of their shit - imagine what would happen in a world where it had worn less thin by seven years) or *gulp* the UK
    3) Israel staying competitive within that pack - Portugal & Georgia aren't that far behind

tl;dr It probably ain't happenin' outside a world where "The Fire in Your Eyes" is better received than it actually was.

Edited for an EGREGIOUS error; none of you saw me forget Dami Im's existence, right?
    Likes  Lupus, tuorem, Alaska49 liked this post

Congrats Jamala/Salvador/Netta, best consecutive winners ever
    Just an Arizona snowbird who loves ESC

5. Ninja
    Israel

It's a shame that Russia is not participating, but that is the price for disrespecting the law of the host country. They should have chosen different artist in the first place.
    <3

6. Senior Member
    Germany

i don't even know what would happen if juries existed in the 2008 final though. everything in the top 7 was very un-jury, even norway. can you imagine israel winning while placing 8th in the televote? lol
    If it was up to me... YES YES and YES AGAIN!!! Fire in your eyes is in my top 5 of my alltime Eurovision favourites and my favourite in 2008, one of the most disappointing years in Eurovision, with it being the light of joy in a crappy boring show. I adore this song!

Apart from that... Dima Bilan had quite a little fanbase around Europe at that time, so it didn't surprise me he won although IT SUCKED so much!!!
    Likes  Mii11 liked this post

I’m not afraid to grow old
    If I have your hand to hold

7. Veteran
    France

Quote Originally Posted by lavieenrose View Post
    Edited for an EGREGIOUS error; none of you saw me forget Dami Im's existence, right?

Thank you for your analysis though You're right, sometimes juries have gone for stuff no one would expect them to support, so it's difficult to say how much the outcome would have changed in 2008. I had almost forgotten "Aphrodisiac" was third in its semi back in 2012, the sadness of it all (And that comes from someone who actually enjoyed that song, but third place? no ma'am!)
    Likes  lavieenrose, Mii11 liked this post

8. Veteran
    France

I've woken up early this morning and - as I had some free time - I decided it was the perfect moment to listen to my freshly received ESC 2017 album to finally discover all the studio versions of the songs. Naturally, I had almost forgotten about Russia being featured in it, and when the song played, my jaw kind of dropped From all the comments here, I was expecting an unremarkable cheesefest a la Malta 2009 or Portugal 2010... And somehow I wish it were total crap, but no! "Flame Is Burning" sounds really good to me and is probably going to be among my biggest faves of this edition despite not being heard in Kyiv. Now I see why you guys @Mrm @RainyWoods were charmed by it!

Hands down one of the best Russian efforts to me: it's very lovely, very "Russian" in its melody and arrangements, and those lyrics I can actually believe them, I don't sense fake genuineness unlike some other songs with similar themes. But of course, it would have been even better in Russian (one can't have everything). The music is definitely not cheap like "You're The Only One" and absolutely not impersonal like the American messes "What If" and "A Million Voices". In addition to that, I think the chorus is quite catchy (as much as a ballad can be) and can easily be hummed.

Honestly, I wish I didn't like that song because it's such a missed opportunity imo. And no way this would have struggled to qualify, it would have been locked in top 5. It's sweet, heartfelt unlike some their recent efforts, and just spot on as far as this year's slogan was concerned.

If Yulia really becomes their representative next year, I absolutely want something similar If she doesn't, then I still hope they'll keep showcasing their own sound like in this entry, it's miles better than low-cost schlagers and generic ballads.

When I thought I was on the right track to make my annual personal top 10, this song came to me and said "surprise b*tch!" I have to re-start from scratch now.
    Likes  RainyWoods, Mrm, NemesisNick liked this post

9. Veteran
    France

My review of "Flame Is Burning":

-Given that Eurovision was held in Ukraine, I didn't know what to expect from Russia this year (maybe a boring generic peace song a la "What If" or "A Million Voices") and, after the drama started to grow (especially on this forum) when Yulia was selected, the song got lost in the noise and barely received any feedback on a musical level. I first discovered the song while listening to the official Eurovision album and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised. Strangely enough, I've always liked Russian entries that were unpopular among fans ("Mamo", "Lost And Forgotten", "Shine" are my jam; even their winning song "Believe" was good to me), and "Flame Is Burning" is no exception: finally Russians got back to their own sound as it is a typical Russian ballad with a very melodic composition and arrangements one would consider antiquated in Western Europe. Personally, I couldn't care less about the "antiquated" part as long as it retains some charm, which it does in this case imo. I like how it builds up by waves: it starts out with an atmospheric and minimalistic piano accompaniment, then transitions into a solo guitar at the beginning of the chorus before strings and percussions layers come later on. I think the omnipresent backing voices do add more depth and dynamism to the main vocal melodic lines. By the way, it's probably one of the richest compositions of the year, which takes on full significance in piano covers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5ru7YQqCI8. The whole song oozes melancholy and hope at the same time. I would have preferred the song to be in Russian, but the lyrics - even though they aren't a work of art by any means - are quite touching and less cheesy to me than other "hope messages" we've heard in the contest. Sometimes less is more. It's a shame the song didn't make it to the contest because I really liked it. Pros: the melancholic and Russian-sounding melody, I think the song is an ear-worm (as much as a ballad can be), especially the chorus. Cons: I didn't mind Yulia's pronunciation (that was cute actually), however, it would have been way better in RUSSIAN, thank you for taking notes!

To me, the highlight of the song is definitely the start of the first chorus with the guitar, which gives me an almost acoustic and - dare I say - slight stadium anthem vibe. I love the chorus, but that particular part is the absolute best, genius piece of arrangement imo. The crescendo and pace change at the end of the bridge is also noteworthy.

-Vocally, Yulia seems to know how to sing (looking at other videos of her). It's a pity that there isn't a live version of "Flame Is Burning" out there. Even if there probably would have been flaws (which are unavoidable given her condition), I'm sure it would have taken the song to a whole new dimension.

-Visually, I think the official music video could have been an appropriate staging for Kyiv: the stage plunged into the dark with white spotlights, smoke on the floor, a progressive camera focus on Yulia, white flashing lights during the second verse, and eventually orange lights and sparkles from the bridge to the end. I don't think they would even have needed to use the led background, the song and message were accessible enough to not be diminished by a simple presentation mainly made of moving spotlights.

-Results-wise, we'll of course never know how "Flame Is Burning" would have fared. I guess juries wouldn't have voted for it, but people would have massively supported it: I didn't believe for a second Russia might have failed to qualify with this. I think it would have been a definite top ten, if not more. In my personal ranking, this song is my 9th favourite entry of this edition and, it might still gain a few places if it keeps growing on me like it does. I cross my fingers so that next year I won't have to endure another "Get You", "What If" or "You're My Only One"; after the victory of Portugal, I hope Russians will showcase their language again and why not send a non-formatted song. That would be great, as you could make the most of the "minimal" support you can count on every year by sending riskier efforts. See you next time Rossija
    Likes  NemesisNick liked this post

10. Mentor
    Germany

Can someone from the Pro-Russians explain me why she wondered about her Travelban and thought that it wasnt that bad but then again went illegal on crimea on 9th May?

11. Expert
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Realest View Post
    Can someone from the Pro-Russians explain me why she wondered about her Travelban and thought that it wasnt that bad but then again went illegal on crimea on 9th May?
    Crimea is technically part of Russia somehow, as they annexed it a few years ago, though Ukraine is strongly opposed to this along with the UN. Thus, she wasn't prevented from travelling to Crimea, in contrast to the whole Ukrainian territory.
    'But in the end you're standing there, you're the one who always cares.'
    -I Stand, Gabriela Gunčíková