View Poll Results: How do you rate the entry?

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll

30 18.63%

15 9.32%

19 11.80%

11 6.83%

22 13.66%

14 8.70%

11 6.83%

7 4.35%

9 5.59%

6 3.73%

17 10.56%
Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041

Thread: ISRAEL 2017 - Imri Ziv - I Feel Alive

ISRAEL 2017 - Imri Ziv - I Feel Alive

2. Active Member
    Portugal

Re: ISRAEL 2017 - Imri Ziv - I Feel Alive

Quote Originally Posted by MyHeartIsYours View Post
    CRIMINALLY underrated! IMRI, Yodel It! and Do It For Your Lover are the only songs that have stayed with me this year! Glad I voted for Israel, even though it didn't make a lot of difference

IMRI

all terrible. although IMRI is a guilty pleasure

3. Junkie
    Austria

"I am alive" is a cheap dance tune and I think it is the sexy singer who inspires the love for this song. It is so much weaker than Golden Boy.
    The most emotional winners of all time
    2017 1982 2014 1995 2015

4. Veteran
    France

My review of "I Feel Alive":

-Israel is one of those countries I feel nostalgic about when I think of their past entries, that were always partly or fully sung in Hebrew, and that had something special going on musically-speaking. Since 2015, they've gone the full English and uber-mainstream route, hence why I fail to care much about them now. "I Feel Alive" is in line with their "let's blend in the soulless music trend" approach: it's a standard Eurovisiony europop uptempo song with a tiny (really tiny) bit of Oriental flavour, sung by an attractive man with average vocals and an energetic presentation to seal the deal... Doesn't it remind you of something? Oh, yeah: "Golden Boy", no wonder they tried to follow the same recipe after their 8th place. Overall, I do appreciate the melody of "I Feel Alive", I mean composition-wise it's quite lovely to listen to. However, the major flaw for me is the nature of the arrangements, which are basically the same old ones we can find in pretty much every europop song of that kind. The sounds, the beats, the synths, etc. are so all-heard-before and used in such a formulaic way that they basically ruin the potential of the melody to me. And no, it's not a matter of genre, if they could simply bother to replace them by more unusual instruments, it would certainly make a good song. As is it, it could have worked in 2013, four years after, it gets old. And come on: they used the same dated synth that's in "Euphoria" during the choruses! (which was already dated back in 2012), I guess I will never understand composers who content themselves with recycling sounds over and over. The "Oriental" part comes across as a bit try-hard imo because it's too short and it comes quite late in the song: why not have made this song an hybrid of (real) contemporary pop and Oriental music instead? On a more positive note, I like the verses sung in a low register, the vocal hooks inserted in the "And I’m a bit fragile/And you like trouble" lines, and the dramatic chorus end "Now I’m trying, I’m trying, I feel alive". Again, I don't think it's a bad song per se, it doesn't annoy me either (unlike "Made Of Stars" and "Golden Boy") and I do not skip it when it plays, yet I'm disappointed by how incredibly average it is mainly because of these unexciting arrangements we've heard a millions time before. Pros: definitely the melody, it's quite catchy, I like most of the hooks. Cons: the arrangements are uninspired as hell.

To me, the highlight of the song is definitely the dramatic "Now I’m trying, I’m trying" part, followed by the "I feel alive" sustained high note.

-Vocally, Imri isn't a particularly brilliant singer: not awful, just average at best. Of course, that's probably not what most people ask of him: being good-looking, sexy and knowing how to move on stage apparently makes up for the vocals in such uptempo songs. I have to admit that he impressed me during the semi live performance though: I was expecting a mediocre live, but he managed to reach the notes while looking relatively at ease and confident. In the final, he got carried away during the first minute, he was noticeably off-key during the pre-chorus and the bridge afterwards, but overall, it wasn't a shameful performance.

-Visually, I appreciated the job done by the Israeli team. It started out in the dark with two lateral white lights and a flashing grey striped orb in the background. The floor was decorated with light points resembling stars and a semicircle of lights, while ripples were following Imri's steps: the design was straightforward but suitable for the song. Imri briefly appeared on screen before breaking to pieces (I see what they did there!), which imo was tasteful, it wasn't too much. The quick camera shots during the pre-chorus were welcome, giving a bit of dynamism to an otherwise quite slow beginning camera-wise. The visuals got brighter towards the end of chorus: dancers appeared, the background turned red and green (interesting colour scheme by the way, I like that!) and flames lit up the stage. There were bits of choreography during the second verse, which I didn't mind, Imri wouldn't just remain static until the end. It was cute to have all the people lined up, waving their arms when the Oriental part came in. Then, everyone left so that Imri could make love to the camera: I wouldn't say it was try-hard, but whom they were trying to target was pretty clear to everyone I guess. Finally, the performance ended with an alternation of flames and pyros. Overall, I approved of the presentation, it was a perfect balance of everything: the contrast between the dark/colourless verses and super bright choruses was nice, props for using a colour scheme that gave a bit of originality to the visuals (green and red aren't combined that often). Outfit-wise - whoever the designer was - he/she knew what to do so that people would drool over Imri. He wore black pants and boots, as well as a sort of black sleeveless top showing his big arms: he was both classy and sexy. Props to Imri for sporting his body hair in all the right places, too many men shave everything these days... Anyway, charisma-wise, he was playing the handsome guy who's aware of his "assets", but in his case, it didn't bother me unlike others (like Mans, for instance). He's absolutely not the type of guy I'm generally attracted to, but I admit he kind of oozed sex-appeal during his performances. Good for him, eye candy never hurts.

-Results-wise, it was no surprise Israel qualified, especially in this semi: the performance was great, they closed the show and there weren't many uptempo acts to begin with. I think they deserved it, unlike last year. Then sadly for them, they had to open the final (Laura Tesoro-style) and I feel like 23rd place was a bit low: while both juries and televoters agreed on that one, I think Imri at least deserved to be ranked above other uptempo acts like Greece and Cyprus, which imo were far far worse than Israel. In my personal ranking, the song is around the lower places of my top 25, in the middling category. I would have liked it more had it had more original arrangements, that's a shame. Anyway, I hope that we will see you next year guys. Hopefully, the EBU will sort this out with another broadcaster. Bring your language back while you're at it, full English is damn impersonal.

5. Veteran
    Portugal

@tuorem The new broadcaster has agreed with EBU's demands to have a news bulletin, and the EBU has made an agreement with them that will allow Israel to participate in Portugal next year
    Likes  tuorem, Stiven liked this post

(Portugal) 12. Belgium 10. FYR Macedonia 8. Estonia 7. Greece 6. Austria 5. Italy 4. France 3. Israel 2. Latvia 1. Sweden

6. Veteran
    France

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLuis View Post
    @tuorem The new broadcaster has agreed with EBU's demands to have a news bulletin, and the EBU has made an agreement with them that will allow Israel to participate in Portugal next year
    My bad! I've haven't followed the news! Thank you for letting me know!
    It's great to know Israel will stay.
    Likes  DanielLuis liked this post

7. Legend
    Germany

Good up-lifting number, which is something extremely rare from Israel. I don't like that the producers tend to place these songs either first or last (depending on the draw) in the running order what heavily distorts their results.

Page 41 of 41 FirstFirst ... 313738394041