View Poll Results: How do you rate the entry?

Voters
162. You may not vote on this poll

46 28.40%

20 12.35%

15 9.26%

21 12.96%

10 6.17%

11 6.79%

6 3.70%

12 7.41%

6 3.70%

3 1.85%

12 7.41%
Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: ICELAND 2017 - Svala - Paper

ICELAND 2017 - Svala - Paper

2. Junkie
    Italy

Re: ICELAND 2017

As usual, my ranking

1. Svala Björgvinsdóttir – Ég veit það / Paper
    2. Linda Hartmanns – Ástfangin / Obvious love
    3. Erna Mist Pétursdóttir – Skuggamynd / I’ll be gone
    4. Pall Rósinkranz & Kristina Bærendsen – Þú og ég / You and I
    5. Hildur Kristín Stefánsdóttir – Bammbaramm / Bammbaramm
    6. Arnar Jónsson & Rakel Pálsdóttir – Til mín / Again
    7. Sólveig Ásgeirsdóttir – Treystu á mig / Trust in me
    8. Júlí Heiðar Halldórsson & Þórdís Birna Borgarsdóttir – Heim til þín / Get Back Home

3. Senior Member
    Germany

Okay, so we basically get to listen to 24 songs - as we have one song in two languages... so, here my rating for the ENGLISH versions of the songs:

Bammbaramm - 4/12
    Paper - 7/12
    You & I - 12/12
    Make Your Way Back Home - 10/12
    Get Back Home - 3/12
    Obvious Love - 7/12
    Trust In Me - 2/12
    I'll be gone - 4/12
    Hypnotised - 2/12
    Is This Love? - 0/12
    Tonight - 1/12
    Again - 3/12

And summed up in a rating:
    1. You & I
    2. Make Your Way Back Home
    3. Obvious Love
    4. Paper
    5. I'll Be Gone
    6. Bammbaramm
    7. Again
    8. Get Back Home
    9. Trust In Me
    10. Hypnotised
    11. Tonight
    12. Is This Love?

On first listen, the only songs I didn't want to end were "You & I" and "Make Your Way Back Home". Especially the first one gave me goosebumps and I LOVE the voices <3 The rest of them are quite nice but nothing really special, although I admit that some of them can be staged quite nice and therefore still have a shot (e. g. Paper, Bammbaramm,...)

Now listening to the Icelandic versions - bring it on! (:
    I see flames in your eyes... damn, they burn so bright. Don't you try to hide it, sister.

4. Senior Member
    Germany

Now to the Icelandic versions:

Bammbaramm - 6/12 (better in Icelandic)
    Ég veit það - 7/12 (Personally I prefer the English version, just because I understand it, but it doesn't really make a difference)
    Þú og ég - 10/12 (better in English for me, it's beautiful in Icelandic to but touches me more in English, as I understand the story behind it)
    Mér við hlið - 12/12 (I prefer the Icelandic version, even though I think the song is strong in English as well)
    Heim til þín - 6/12 (the song is way better in Icelandic, so I hope they will keep it in English if they make it to the final)
    Ástfangin - 3/12 (this is better in English, please do it in English if you make it to the final )
    Treystu á mig - 4/12 (better in Icelandic, probably because in English it's too plain, too generic and I wouldn't get that in Icelandic as I don't speak the language )
    Skuggamynd - 6/10 (this is also better in Icelandic as it is more emotional in her mother tongue. It sounds more believable)
    Þú hefur dáleitt mig - 3/12 (better in Icelandic but still a generic pop/dance-song which wouldn't score high at Eurovision, I think)
    Hvað með það? - 1/12 (better but still not my kind of song. The music sounds so 90s and I don't really like the tone of his voice)
    Nótt - 4/12 (a bit better in Icelandic, maybe it's also because I hear the beat for a second time. I think this could work with a good staging but it's still not my favorite)
    Til mín - 10/12 (WAY better in Icelandic. This is magical and with a good staging this could stand out!

In a ranking this would mean:

1. Mér við hlið
    2. Þú og ég
    3. Til mín
    4. Ég veit það
    5. Skuggamynd
    6. Heim til þín
    7. Bammbaramm
    8. Treystu á mig
    9. Nótt
    10. Ástfangin
    11. Þú hefur dáleitt mig
    12. Hvað með það?

Honestly: I don't know if any of the songs could go to the final and finish Top10. But I'd say chances are quite high that if the public chooses "You & I" or "Mér við hlið ", you at least get into the final. It could also be done with "Paper" with a good staging (:
    I see flames in your eyes... damn, they burn so bright. Don't you try to hide it, sister.

5. Legend
    Slovenia

Aron Brink - "Hypnotised" is my winner

it's pretty weak selection as always
    Say "Na na na" 22 times. Yes, you're gonna like it! Ya-la-la

6. ESC Moderator
    Scotland

Quote Originally Posted by John1 View Post
    They won't qualify through the final for the 3rd time in a row..
    That's quite disappointed to see that there isn't any songs, which are really able to appeal to the people, who will be watching the ESC this year though.
    3 songs in and you are already eliminating Iceland from the equation. We have no idea about any countries chances at this stage. We need a lot more songs, allocation draw etc before we have a good idea.
    Current 2019 ranking (23rd February) 12. Australia, 10. Estonia, 8. Albania, 7. Spain, 6. Czech Republic, 5. Latvia, 4. Italy, 3. Romania, 2. Germany, 1. Slovenia

7. Veteran
    Israel

Great National Final, my top 3 would be Paper, Is This Love? & Tonight.
    http://i.imgur.com/Sc3vj7T.gif

8. Legend
    Sweden

Is there a Spotify playlist?

9. ESC Moderator
    Scotland

OK, so listened to every song in both languages ( had a burst of energy I guess).

Only one bad song, a bunch of good, a bunch of mediocre and one excellent. So here is my top 3 and bottom 3 with preferred languages.

1. Svala - Paper 9/10 (English) - Is this as obvious to me as anyone else? This is bloody brilliant. Iceland have an easy choice here.
    2. Erna Mist - Skuggamynd 8.5/10 (Icelandic) - The standout ballad, with haunting vocals and a great last minute. Takes a while to build up and is better in Icelandic.
    3. Daði Freyr - Is This Love 8/10 (English) Very cool, great beats and has a Martin Rolinski vibe. Very easy to jig to. Prefer English slightly, but not really fussed.

Bottom 3.

3. Hildur Kristin - Bammbaramm 6/10 (Icelandic) Decent, but low quality. Not unlikeable at all, and shows the quality of songs for this to be in my bottom 3. Slightly better in Icelandic.
    2. Páll Rósinkranz and Kristina Bærendsen - You And I 4/10 (English) - Dull, completely forgettable, and the vocals don't mesh too well. Language doesn't really matter.
    1. Aron Brink - Hypnotised 2/10 (English) The only song I actively hate. Not up my street at all. Sounds like a boyband singer with garbage lyrics and little musicality. Better in English, but I never want to hear it again. I have a feeling Iceland will pick this, though.
    Current 2019 ranking (23rd February) 12. Australia, 10. Estonia, 8. Albania, 7. Spain, 6. Czech Republic, 5. Latvia, 4. Italy, 3. Romania, 2. Germany, 1. Slovenia

10. Addict
    France

Lot of good songs, but nothing stands out, a weak selection for me.

11. Veteran
    France

Quote Originally Posted by QwaarJet View Post
    3 songs in and you are already eliminating Iceland from the equation. We have no idea about any countries chances at this stage. We need a lot more songs, allocation draw etc before we have a good idea.
    Most of those songs are weaker than 'Raddirnar', then I do suppose that they ain't gonna choose the strongest one, which is occuring every year.
    Moreover, I don't think the allocation draw will allow them to sail through it, as it'd rather depend on the quality of the song, which is being sent to the ESC, than the spot and the SF, in which they'll be allocated to.
    underrate /ʌndəˈreɪt/ : underestimate the extent, value, or importance of someone.

Page 3 of 35 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast