View Poll Results: How do you rate the entry?

Voters
217. You may not vote on this poll

93 42.86%

33 15.21%

25 11.52%

22 10.14%

9 4.15%

9 4.15%

5 2.30%

4 1.84%

2 0.92%

1 0.46%

14 6.45%
Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667

Thread: FYR MACEDONIA 2017 - Jana Burčeska - Dance Alone

FYR MACEDONIA 2017 - Jana Burčeska - Dance Alone

2. Ninja
    Macedonia

Re: FYR MACEDONIA 2017 - Jana Burčeska - Dance Alone

She wasn't even close to qualifying
    14th with the juries and 13th in the televote.

15th overall
    ►I will dance alone wherever I am.....The rhythm follows◄♥♫♪☼

3. Junkie
    Portugal

No way organizers could tell, I suppose...but still I couldn't help feel sorry for her. From marriage proposal to being burned out...Eurovision will now probably be stained in her mind as a traumatic experience.

Personally I liked the performance well enough,

4. Junior Member
    Macedonia

I just need to say hello to all of you with this song

5. Veteran
    Italy

For me Jana was amazing. She nailed it. Love her

6. Enthusiast
    Germany

Another Good song that was destroyed by the very weak liveperformance. No comparison to the Studioversion. No need to complain here.

7. Expert
    France

My review of "Dance Alone":

-Like Serbia, I wasn't very optimistic about Macedonia 2017 when I read they would go the modern route: it's been quite a long time now that Macedonians haven't made it to the final and, after Kaliopi's failure last year - which was supposed to be their trump card - I feared they might sell out by sending something really dull out of desperation. As a result, my expectations were low and I was miles away from imagining how good their new effort would be. "Dance Alone" was composed by pretty much the same team that penned "In Too Deep" as well as the last two Bulgarian entries, and it shows as the production is top-notch. However, the similarity ends here as the song sounds like no other Eurovision entry as far as I remember: it's a really modern and slick piece of electro pop bearing a definite edgy retro flavour. Sonically (not melodically), it reminds me of Serhat's "I Didn't Know" which in 2016 had succeeded in making disco music sound modern through a flawless production, here the vintage position - while clearly claimed via various elements of the song - also comes across as very current-sounding and almost alternative. To me, from start to finish - from the vocal inflexions to the arrangements - "Dance Alone" could have been a song Kylie Minogue would have sung in the good ol' days, I didn't expect the song to have such a strong identity tbh. The electro-house music draws me in instantly and seems to be the main star of the verses as the melodic lines are quite short and spaced out. On the contrary, the choruses do have a perfect vocal/music balance: it's catchy, highly hummable and merely lovely to listen to. I also appreciate the outer-space-sounding bridge and the "I let it go" parts that extend the last two choruses: like in "In Too Deep", the hooks are used parsimoniously. Lyrically, it's probably the best lyrics I've ever heard about dancing and feeling good while doing so - I'm the kind of person that always despised the overused "let's head to the club and dance all night because life's too short" theme, so I'm thrilled someone finally got it right and paid tribute to the power of music and dance, and the essence of what one feels while surrending to it. The sentences are somewhat simple, yet fantastically spot on and well-worded. Eurovision entries are rarely worth praises for their lyrics, so I had to point that out. Pros: ear-worm, sonically different from anything heard in Eurovision, professional production. Cons: how about none?

To me, the personal highlight of the song would be the verses: that's where the strongness and amazingness of the arrangements show through the most. Besides, Jana's intonation is quite sexy.

-Vocally, there has been lots of controversy surrounding Jana: I myself wondered why she playbacked in the Eurovision concert in London and then sang live quite well in Tel Aviv. I think trying to put vocal effects on her mic feed for fan events was truly unnecessary. Regarding the semi performance, I... might the only one to think she was on point! During the verse, she was pitch and pace-perfect, with the same vocal effect the studio version has. During the choruses, it's true that the backing vocalists were strong and she didn't seem to contribute much, but I still don't get the negative feedback, I mean firstly there are backing voices in the studio version too (so it's not like they had added some out of nowhere) and secondly I think they played a big part in making the song sound so lively and dynamic live, it was a good contrast with the verses imo. And I prefer these people to voluntarily and temporarily take the lead when appropriate, for with Jana's voice alone it would have sounded flat for sure, the chorus demanded the depth of several people's voices. Don't get me wrong, I don't support this kind of "practice" in general, but in this case, it helped more than it ruined the performance imo.

-Visually, I've also been amazed because it was actually not an easy one to present, and God knows things can go wrong sometimes (never forget "Autumn Leaves"). I don't know who directed the performance but I must say they got it right imo. The led background visuals looked expensive, I loved that monochromatic night-time city landscape with screens displaying Jana's face. It set a nocturnal mood while giving a hint of dynamism to the stage. During the chorus, a combination of blue and red - along with white lights - gave the chorus a welcome pop of colour, which to me could symbolise the fact Jana was leaving the monotony of life to find joy in dancing. Of course, Jana had to be alone on stage and - other unpopular opinion - I felt like she filled and owned the stage like a champ: from the gestures to the way she looked at the cameras, she looked fierce and confident. I approved of the sexy dance routine and expressions she had, it suited her and her song well imo. Looks-wise, she was PER-FECT, certainly the best looking female of this edition due to informed fashion decisions: the glorious hair, sexy make-up (that dark plum lipstick!) and classy/sexy shining black outfit and boots... I was slayed. Overall, it's a 10/10 for me. Well done.

-Results-wise, two words: UNDERRATED and ROBBED. There is often that one act neither juries nor televoters get behind despite being a fantastic complete package, and it had to be Macedonia for some reason. Call me biased if you want: I see no objective reason for leaving such an act in the semis given the lineup: juries are a joke - we get it now - that's why it just half-surprises me that way weaker and ordinary songs got their support instead. Televoting-wise, I can't explain their low score: in an overall weak semi with almost no automatic qualifiers, I believed Macedonia were one of the few no-brainers. 15th place is so undeserved, they weren't even close to qualification. Never mind, keep the faith guys! "Dance Alone" is my 11th favourite song of the year, which means it's currently stuck at the gates of my top 10, and it might get there eventually as it keeps growing on me. Well done Makedonija! In your modern pop segment, you have exceeded all my expectations this year! I'm genuinely anxious to hear about your next entry now. Hopefully - regardless of the genre - it will be as good if not better than "Dance Alone" and lead you to the final. Keep up the good work staging-wise too. See you next year!
    Likes  Franco liked this post

Page 67 of 67 FirstFirst ... 17576364656667