4 1.48%

13 4.80%
Page 88 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3878848586878889 LastLast

Thread: FINLAND 2017 - Norma John - Blackbird

FINLAND 2017 - Norma John - Blackbird

2. Junkie
    Austria

Re: FINLAND 2017 - Norma John - Blackbird

Emma would have crashed and burned in the semis. Even Greta Salome's hypetrain crashed last year, which I think was totally deserved, so Emma with an even more generic copycat song would have gone nowhere near the borderline.

The result for Norma John is the saddest story of this year's ESC. I don't know why juries did not appreciate the song and why fans did neither. It was atmospheric, modern, edgy and very out of the bubble.
    The most emotional winners of all time
    2017 1982 2014 1995 2015

3. Mentor
    Germany

Well no, in the Opposite of Greta, Emma hasnt got a thin voice which is overtuned by her background-singer half of the song and a copied stage performance.

4. Active Member
    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by blue00eyes View Post
    Sorry to be in the opposite to you once again
    Cyprus and Greece were both boring songs heard million times before, sung pretty mediocre live. What kind of Quality did juries see in this I don't know. Greece is too 00's to be considered quality.
    I disagree with Finland being boring, it's maybe not your cup of tea, it's atmospheric. I heard Blackbird for the first time in semi and I fell in love... it was so sad, well staged and well sung live.
    Viewers were right to put this in their top10
    YES

Cyprus and Greece were more of the same, boring pop songs more focused on the performance than the music... with hot guys/girls showing more of their sexiness than their vocal talent.

Finland was a powerhouse ballad, with amazing vocals. although I understand it might not be everyone's cup of tea has you said, it definitely deserved a place in the final.

Quote Originally Posted by Realest View Post
    Well no, in the Opposite of Greta, Emma hasnt got a thin voice which is overtuned by her background-singer half of the song and a copied stage performance.
    what?

5. Mentor
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Laepo1 View Post

what?
    What didnt you understand?

6. Active Member
    Portugal

What didnt you understand?
    whom did Greta copy? buddy, you need to explain that stuff, my heart can't handle that.

7. Mentor
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Laepo1 View Post
    whom did Greta copy? buddy, you need to explain that stuff, my heart can't handle that.
    Well, there was very much similar to Mans Performance in 2015. Copy is maybe eaggerated, but there a some similarities. But her biggest Problem was of course her low vocal capacity.

8. Ninja
    Macedonia

Well, there was very much similar to Mans Performance in 2015. Copy is maybe eaggerated, but there a some similarities. But her biggest Problem was of course her low vocal capacity.
    C'mon
    Greta sounded exactly the same as the studio version.
    No need to hate.
    She may not be a Mariah or a Celine but she did quite a good job vocally.

9. Junkie
    Austria

Greta looked like Loreen doing Mans. And her song was from the "How to do Eurovision" cookbook. Like Emma's.
    Likes  blue00eyes liked this post

The most emotional winners of all time
    2017 1982 2014 1995 2015

10. Mentor
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by ESCada View Post
    C'mon
    Greta sounded exactly the same as the studio version.
    No need to hate.
    She may not be a Mariah or a Celine but she did quite a good job vocally.
    But i hear most of the time her male backgroundsinger. If she had at least a female her thin voice would not stand out that much.

11. Veteran
    France

My review of "Blackbird":

-Finland is an interesting nation in ESC because one can never be sure of what they'll send, it could be anything. It's been a long time since I've rooted for one of their entries though (2010). This year, they decided to send an atmospheric and non-Eurovisiony ballad, sung by a group that happened to be the most convincing and professional act of their NF. It's a very slow and almost acoustic song, there's something in it that makes it sound Scandinavian somehow but I'm not sure what, maybe the melody itself. As someone pointed it out, the main interest and amazing feat here is that Norma John have succeeded in composing a song with a sad mood by using major chord progressions, which isn't easy to do. As a ballad lover, "Blackbird" should have been a no-brainer for me, but no. The first time I heard it - while admitting this entry had a clear mood and some musical merit - I didn't really understood the hype surrounding it. Now that I'm accustomed to it, I can see why people may love it and be moved by it. Still, I've personally failed to connect with it, there isn't anything particular in the song for me to like it. Even the piano bridge didn't really impress me. But then again, I recognise the song has some musical merit, it was different from the usual Eurovision ballad format, and that alone made it worthy in the semi final lineup. Pros: the atmosphere and silences of the song. Cons: I find it slightly dull at times, due to me not being able to get into the song.

To me, the obvious highlight is the chorus which has a cinematic and - dare I say - "heavenly" quality to it.

-Vocally, there is nothing to say in particular: it was well sung and quite emotional. The live performance elevated the song definitely. The singer seemed genuinely moved and I admit she could almost sell the song to my unblinking heart.

-Visually, it was fairly simple and similar to their NF presentation: some smoke, a piano, a large white spotlight, a dark blue water-like graphic design in the background, and hints of red light. This might not have been revolutionary, but who cares? This was beautiful and exactly what the song needed: nothing less, nothing more. I really liked the "wall" of lights appearing right before the last chorus, and choosing to make the led screen turn red was oddly a good idea, even though - as far as synesthesia is concerned - I feel like "Blackbird" is a blue and white song. Outfit-wise, I really liked the impressive black dress and the lace-like motifs on it: yes, it was funeral-looking somehow, but it's not like the song conveys a happy message, so... I approve of it!

-Results-wise, I truly thought juries would get behind this one and it appeared that people supported it more... So thank you to these music expects for preferring masterpieces like "This Is Love" and "Gravity" over "Blackbird" (sarcasm mode on). I'm not sure about whether I felt this would qualify or not, I guess I had no clue. I'm not super sad Finland missed the final because the song leaves me cold for the most part, but given some of the qualifiers, they would have deserved to get through. Thank you to the Finnish for sending a classy and different act, keep up the good work, your ballads really tend to be unfairly underrated (never forget "När Jag Blundar").