View Poll Results: How do you rate the entry?

Voters
253. You may not vote on this poll

89 35.18%

25 9.88%

30 11.86%

10 3.95%

20 7.91%

14 5.53%

10 3.95%

9 3.56%

11 4.35%

5 1.98%

30 11.86%
Page 156 of 157 FirstFirst ... 56106146152153154155156157 LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,560 of 1566

Thread: ESTONIA 2017 - Koit Toome & Laura - Verona

ESTONIA 2017 - Koit Toome & Laura - Verona

Likes  sapsan, LastDreamer liked this post

2. Veteran
    Sweden

Re: ESTONIA 2017 - Koit Toome & Laura - Verona

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    That this lost out to Austria and Netherlands because of the juries is really bad to think about, especially with the tech trouble.
    This entry might have been cheesy, and the performance didn't help, but it was still one of the better songs and had a nice 80's and schlager/dance retro feel to it.... but we know the juries don't like anything fun or European.
    Likes  GRE, estonia liked this post

3. Active Member
    Norway

I think it boils down to the 'sweetness' factor. Seen it enough times with juries in singing competitions like Idol, Xfactor etc. Nathan and the sisters were sweet and younger. Laura and Koit were kinda threatening and older. I bet it really come down to that as everyone else thought the Austrian and also the Dutch song sucked.

4. Ninja
    Brazil

i mean, we all know verona would have a bit of a hard time with juries, as foreshadowed by eesti laul and general jury behaviour (colour of your life was used a reference a few times here pre-show), i just didn't expect it to be, like, an actually-below-fusedmarc kind of hard time. i think this unseated igranka as the biggest televote/jury divergence that eliminated the entry? (since the biggest one would be cezar, who fortunately survived such abuse)

may verona rest in peace with fellow juries-can-stick-it misunderstood masterpieces työlki ellää, haba haba, igranka, samo shampioni and quero ser tua. *puts flowers on grave*
    Likes  Kairit, henhu, estonia liked this post

5. Ninja
    Macedonia

I'll blame the performance on this one.
    The technical mishap aside, it didn't look great.
    His facial expressions were laughable, the chemistry was nowhere to be found.
    It looked like a dad sending off this daughter to prom tbh.
    And I truly actually enjoy Verona.
    It's unfortunate what happened.
    Likes  12Points, Franzilein liked this post

6. Junkie
    Austria

That this lost out to Austria and Netherlands because of the juries is really bad to think about, especially with the tech trouble.

Best jury decisions ever.
    The most emotional winners of all time
    2017 1982 2014 1995 2015

7. Junkie
    Austria

I think it boils down to the 'sweetness' factor. Seen it enough times with juries in singing competitions like Idol, Xfactor etc. Nathan and the sisters were sweet and younger. Laura and Koit were kinda threatening and older. I bet it really come down to that as everyone else thought the Austrian and also the Dutch song sucked.
    The song was tacky and the absolute worst of all times. Has nothing to do with age. Estonia not qualifying is a dream come true. I wished for this so hard since it was chosen in Eesti Laul. Verona makes me sick.

2017 was almost perfect Eurovision:

Portugal winning, Austria and Norway in the finals, Spain last, Estonia out. The only things that suck are Finland out and Australia in.
    Likes  94ayd liked this post

The most emotional winners of all time
    2017 1982 2014 1995 2015

8. Ninja
    Indonesia

I hope Estonians are regretting their choice deeply. Both them and Kerli (my fav) were trainwrecks on Eesti Laul final, only Rasmus looked and sounded solid, he would qualify easily on this semi

9. Active Member
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska49 View Post
    may verona rest in peace with fellow juries-can-stick-it misunderstood masterpieces työlki ellää, haba haba, igranka, samo shampioni and quero ser tua. *puts flowers on grave*
    You had me until Haba Haba..

10. Mentor
    Germany

It was my Favourite in the Studioversion but deserved the Elimination for the week Performance. Even the unpopular Song from Croatia beat them by both so theres nothing to complain about. And Laura deserved it twice for her Hatecomments towards Greece and Cyprus one day before.

11. Veteran
    France

My review of "Verona":

-Come to think of it, Eesti Laul is certainly the best Eurovision NF in terms of quality in the electro/alternative/pop segment imo (along with San Remo and Festivali i Këngës in their own genre), and Estonia in general has been among the strongest countries this decade to me, they absolutely have no reason to envy their neighbours in the North or in the South tbh. Once again, they've showcased their talents in 2017, and it's quite frustrating to see countless countries send formulaic and/or hopeless entries while Estonians could literally send 80% of the acts featured in their final. For instance, I wished "In Or Out", "Feel Me Now" and "This Love" would have represented other flags after not being picked; don't get me wrong though, "Verona" was the best song of their final imo. It is a partly mid-tempo/partly uptempo song mixing an 80's pop flavour with current pop: the guitar riff that's used as an intro sets the mood of the song instantly, I really like how slow and atmospheric the beginning is (I find it arresting), which allows the listener to appreciate the musicality of the main vocal melodic lines. The special attention paid to the percussion-sounding beats is fantastic, I love that it's constantly changing and breaking the silence of the otherwise relatively quiet accompaniment. At this point, one can already sense the catchiness of the melody that's about to follow, it's meant to be sung along. Then the "We are lost in Verona" comes in complete silence before the music resumes at a faster pace with a more striking beat and hints of guitar. Then a sick bass line gives more depth to the arrangement while accentuating the new rhythm. At the end of that part, while everyone thinks the chorus is going to blow everything up, Lõhmus went the anti-climatic route by deciding to insert a slow pre-chorus with sparse beats, dramatic piano notes and a vocal canon betwen Laura and backing vocalists repeating "We are lost". I honestly love it when songs don't go the way we expect them to: firstly, it goes against the expectations of the listener (or at least mine) and secondly, it arrests my attention even more while also inserting the efficient "We are lost" hook... Wow! Then, finally the chorus arrives and alternates two vocalised lines with two lines with lyrics, it's an classic way of creating a hook and - while I'm usually not fond of this "trick" because it's easier to make hooks with vocalises or onomatopoeia - the fact the song doesn't follow a standard structure makes it work, as it's not the sole highlight of the composition. By the way, I like the instrumentation there too (guitar, bells, new beats and background synths). After that, the surprises continue with a... bridge, I think. Again, we get back to a faster pace and intense vocals - definitely noteworthy - which smoothly lead to a repetition of the chorus. The quick beats used as transitions are great, they give an extra supply of dynamism when a part ends. Past the second chorus, we get back to the pre-chorus, oddly enough, I don't feel like the song loses momentum at all at this point. Finally, the last twist is the vocal variations of the last chorus, which prevent the listener from getting bored. From start to finish, this song is just so good and well-crafted: the structure is peculiar for Eurovision standards and plays with climaxes, which in the end does make me feel like there is no "down time". All the parts make sense when put together, and I just love how it constantly changes pace-wise and instrumentation-wise without sounding disjointed (Latvia, I'm looking atchu!). Arrangements-wise, it's very sleek and - sorry but not sorry - modern to me; the chorus is indeed reminiscent of the 80's - more like mastered throwback than a cheap tune though - but apart from that, it sounds pretty contemporary to me. Regarding the melody, well it's an ear-worm that's sing along-material. Lyrically, it's in line with Romeo and Juliet: dramatic and overly romantic. They might come across as cheesy (each to their own after all), but I feel like they're not cringe-inducing at all. I guess now you get my opinion about "Verona", it's that good to me. Pros: super catchy melody, sleek production, unusual structure, well-thought-out arrangements, the pace changes. Cons: I'm curious about what it would have sounded like in Estonian, too bad there isn't such a version.

I can't find one single highlight in this song because it's precisely a series of highlights imo. If I had to choose one, I'd say the first minute: the minimalistic arrangements and the build up get me everytime.

-Vocally, Koit and Laura haven't been constant in their performances. In Eesti Laul, I felt like Laura struggled to replicate the melody of the studio version while Koit seemed fine. On the contrary, I think Laura slayed her parts during the semi whereas Koit struggled pitch-and-pace-wise during his first part. While none of their live performances have topped the studio cut, I feel like this was their best effort tbh. I liked both of their vocal tones, and Laura's accent is A+ Love it.

-Visually, they clearly understood they could come up with a good presentation without having to bring treadmills, a full-size balcony, or any type of unecessary over-the-top stuff, which is ironic because "Verona" is considered cheesy and stuff, yet their presentation was serious, modern and stripped down. I appreciate that they built on what they had in Eesti Laul to create a polished final product. Firstly, I liked the white and black bicolour coherence. The play on lights was interesting: the spotlights lit up one after the other to the sound of the guitar in the beginning - which looked effective - then the change in light intensity kind of surprised me, it's a minor detail but it's the first time I noticed that in a Eurovision performance. When Koit walked towards the audience, a white line looking like dripping paint showed him the way (it slightly reminded me of the shadows of "Goodbye To Yesterday"). That line then exploded into pixels to eventually recreate Laura's face. Out of all the acts who used their own faces on screen, Koit and Laura were hands-down the most credible ones as the faces were representing the fading memories of their past love, which was perfectly in line with the lyrics. Of course, they re-used the dramatic and cinematic shift of camera shots during the pre-chorus, which I found original and effective. However, from the NF to the contest, Koit's facial expressions went from subtle to "in-your-face": I preferred the subtle approach but the final one might have been more effective (as if he was struck by thoughts or something). During the chorus and after, I really liked the sort of sources of lights under their feet and the flashing lights in the background, which decorated and made the stage more dynamic: to me, it's the proof one doesn't need much to fill a stage properly. I don't know whether it was rehearsed or not, but I liked how they successively looked at each other while never making eye contact during the bridge, I may overanalyse it but it fit the fact they lost each other and couldn't change their fate despite their efforts. I won't go in depth about the work on the central and lateral spotlights, that was nice to watch though. Finally, they changed the end of the presentation of Eesti Laul by making them meet face-to-face: Koit and Laura didn't have much chemistry - that's for sure. It didn't bother me because the lyrics didn't imply they should have acted in a more expressive way (and tbh, I prefer that over try-hard attitudes like Lithuania 2015): at the end of the day, it's just a duet: people don't have to necessarily lick each other's face to be considered credible. Koit and Laura were a mix of cute, cold and awkward, still it was bearable imo. Overall, I think the presentation was bomb: professional, polished, very fitting, energetic, classy and ridiculously simple at the same time. Outfit-wise, Koit wore a black shirt and suit whose jacket had shiny edges and collar. Tbh, I think the cut of the jacket was old-fashioned and not really sexy, a tighter one that buttons higher would have been better imo. On the contrary, Laura was STU-NNING! I loved her glorious hairstyle and her elegant white dress with vegetable-inspired patterns. Probably one of the best outfit of this edition to me, and such a dramatic improvement compared with her posh and old-fashioned appearance in the NF. On a side note, I find Laura really beautiful. Unlike most so-called "physically perfect" women who enter the contest every year, she's oozes charm to me. I could definitely become straight for her Please contact me Laura!

-Results-wise, what happened? I mean I knew they weren't the safest qualifiers this year, but I was confident they would make it. The semi was weak and still they managed to fail... With the voting breakdown, it's crystal-clear that juries once again messed up. The voting might have been relatively tight score-wise, but achieving a 6th place in televoting isn't what I would call a fanwank. Juries, on the other hand, ranked this second-to-last like... are you kidding me? Given what they supported like crazy, it's quite laughable though. Anyway, I feel like Estonia has been constantly underrated by them in recent years: "Goodbye To Yesterday" out of their top 10 both in the semi and the final, last place for "Play" which had more musical merit than many songs ranked above it, and now this... Anyway, "Verona" is another fantastic addition to my personal Estonian best of (your cornerstones Stig Rästa and Sven Lohmus are incredible composers tbh). In my ranking, "Verona" is currently my 7th favourite song this year, yet I think I should rank it higher: I'll have to update my top 10. It is the 2017 entry I've listened to the most - hundreds of times - and it still keeps its entire appeal. Well done guys! That was a great choice! I'm looking forward to your next entry because you slay - you really do - and I want you to win again asap. I mean you can't keep bringing classics and still have "Everybody" as your only winning song. Go go go Eesti!
    Likes  Kairit liked this post