View Poll Results: How do you rate the entry?

Voters
172. You may not vote on this poll

27 15.70%

18 10.47%

18 10.47%

24 13.95%

16 9.30%

14 8.14%

11 6.40%

11 6.40%

10 5.81%

7 4.07%

16 9.30%
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536

Thread: MOLDOVA 2017 - Sunstroke Project - Hey Mamma

MOLDOVA 2017 - Sunstroke Project - Hey Mamma

Re: MOLDOVA 2017 - Sunstroke Project - Hey Mamma

Moldovian entry is most watched eurovision video of the week. Check out full music chart: Eurovision Top 40
    Weekly Eurovision Top 40 Music Chart and more than 90 countries are in.
    The charts are based on YouTube views. Visit us: www.popnable.com

3. FSC Mod
    Canada

https://www.instagram.com/p/BVhOZBEFvtT/
    ^ I really hope this is real!!

4. Enthusiast
    Sweden

Congrats to most popular Grand Final performance after Eurovision!

5. Legend
    Germany

Great song and performance. Well-deserved Top-3.

6. Veteran
    France

My review of "Hey Mamma":

-Moldova - like Romania - almost always bring a crazy touch to the contest, which is sometimes well done ("Hora Din Moldova", "Lautar") and sometimes less so ("I Want Your Love", "So Lucky"). I also don't forget their recents ballads, which imo are their best efforts to date ("O Mie" and "Wild Soul"). So, this year we witnessed the comeback of Sunstroke Project that had already participated in 2010. "Run Away" was a true jam to me, I still listen to it frequently and think it aged rather well given the music genre (too bad they completely bombed that year), so I was curious to hear what they had in store seven years later. "Hey Mamma" is a catchy uptempo song that's perfectly in line with the current mainstream music trends (that tropical-house-inspired pop, or whatever you wanna call it). The arrangements are rather simple but effective: the instrument used at the beginning (I don't know what it is exactly) warns the listener instantly that it's going to be modern and kind of summery-sounding. When the pre-chorus arrives, a clear beat appears and a synth-like melodic loop gives a hint of Eastern European folk flavour. The chorus is mainly instrumental with a sick bass line and the flagship element of the band: the saxophone, which actually sounds sleek and catchy. The second verse is pretty much the same as the first one arrangement-wise, with added electronic percussions. Past the second chorus, we get a clear taste of Moldova with the violin: unlike Imri's "I Feel Alive", the folk-ish element flows nicely and doesn't sound out of place. The song ends with waves of "Hey Mamma" lines over the chorus instrumentation. Overall, I think this is a strong effort which succeeded in blending today's musical trends with hints of folk-ish elements (synth, violin) reminiscent of Eastern Europe. It's catchy, instantly hummable and impossible to forget in this year's ballad-heavy lineup. Moldova sent what Sweden, Switzerland and Norway failed to send imo: a very now-sounding effort that's got massive appeal because it retains some kind of identity and fun factor. Personally, it's not a song I particularly liked but I respect it and totally get why people got behind it (I prefer "Run Away"). Pros: current-sounding but retains a slight Eastern European flavour, catchy, sleek production and instrumentation. Cons: I think there are too many "Hey Mamma" lines throughout the song, but that's just my opinion.

The obvious musical highlight imo is the instrumental chorus with its great bass line and unmissable saxo melody.

-Vocally, Sergei has always been relatively steady. I think his vocal tone perfectly suits the melody and mood of the song. As far as I remember, their live performances have been similar to the studio cut, there's nothing particular to say about it.

-Visually, Moldova once again showed they knew about staging (minus 2015 and 2016). The three - now iconic - members of the group were dressed in elegant black suits, with black bow ties and white shirts, which is such an improvement compared to their 2010 tacky outfits. Even though the song was fun and humorous, their appearances made them look like a serious, credible and high-end act this year, which probably spared them from coming across as a circus act to the casual viewer. The white and black led background displayed moving sections of white squares, lines and rectangles, which were enough to bring dynamism to the stage. The crazy visual touch was brought by the backing vocalists with black skirts, hats and veils, white tops and bouquets in which they inserted their mics. During the chorus, blue and red points of light were added to the presentation and both the sax and violin guys were cloned on screen. However, the most brilliant hook imo is their dance routine: who would have thought that lifting your right foot in rhythm and moving your torso to the side would actually look so cool? During the second chorus, the square shapes were substituted for round ones, "Mamma Mamma" was also displayed a couple times as the singer sang the pre-chorus. The second chorus was similar to the first one, except that the sax guy took the lead (which was mandatory considering they wanted to build on the "epic sax guy" meme fame). During the bridge, the backing vocalists shined by turning into brides with long white dresses and dancing next to the band, the violin guy also got spotlighted. The end was just so great with the dance, it was genius to fully incorporate the backing vocalists into the performance. Overall, they nailed the staging: it looked high-end, professional and fun, there wasn't any down time and I guess people couldn't resist that. Well done guys!

-Results-wise, they easily qualified as expected, the surprise was probably the dark-horse result they got in the final: 3rd place is an achievement! People loved it (and deservedly so) while juries of course couldn't rank them too high because you know: only Sweden can get away with uptempo songs in their ranking. Even though the song is neither one of my favourite entries this year, nor among my favourite Moldovan entries, I respect this effort a lot. They did everything right to get the best result possible and they were rewarded. Congratulations on your new record guys, it feels great to see a small country with not a lot of financial means slay other participants on every level and get some kind of recognition for it. See you next year, I hope this result will bring you lots of new artists eager to fly your flag.

7. Enthusiast
    Ukraine

Somebody explain me please what is this song about! I don't understand it. Definitely something about wedding, about love, about mamma... I need to know because for me lyrics of the song are important.

8. Mentor
    Germany

Deserved every single Point. And in the opposite to many comments, they did not receive their Points because of the Epic Sax Guy, but because of that amazing voice, song and performance.

9. Ninja
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by DJNightingale View Post
    Somebody explain me please what is this song about! I don't understand it. Definitely something about wedding, about love, about mamma... I need to know because for me lyrics of the song are important.
    I think the song is about how the guys are trying to impress their girlfriend's mother and are asking for her blessing.

10. Mentor
    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    Flawless choice and pure fun! It is a highly entertaining tune that will surprise a lot of people in the end.
    Ha ha! February 25 and I knew it already. It was quite obvious to me that this would do well. It is a great pop piece, full of passion.
    Agora que não estás, rego eu o teu jardim

Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 263233343536