View Poll Results: How do you rate the entry?

Voters
152. You may not vote on this poll

22 14.47%

13 8.55%

23 15.13%

20 13.16%

19 12.50%

15 9.87%

12 7.89%

6 3.95%

4 2.63%

7 4.61%

11 7.24%
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021

Thread: CYPRUS 2017 - Hovig - Gravity

CYPRUS 2017 - Hovig - Gravity

CYPRUS 2017
    Hovig

Expert Panel Reviews

2. Legend
    Slovenia

Re: CYPRUS 2017 - Hovig - Gravity

Cyprus be like...

Let's send a guy who looks like Aram mp3, with a Zlata's songtitle, and Loic staging, and just to confuse eurofans a bit more, let's throw some Rag'n'bone man's music
    Likes  DaFlo, Daybreak liked this post

Man Don't Dance

3. Super Moderator
    Serbia

It was good enough and catchy enough to make it. Imo, a deserved final completely.
    Likes  lorens liked this post

"Budućnost pripada onima koji se najdalje i najduže sećaju prošlosti"

4. Guru
    Japan

Cyprus is my least favourite country in the contest.

Their entries sound too effortless and soulless to me.

I think they could import some Greek music or just withdraw.

I don't see them winning the contest or even come into top 10 in the near future.
    Likes  Kaz, tuorem, JSSArcos liked this post

5. Hero
    Germany

6. Veteran
    France

My review of "Gravity":

-To me, Cyprus has been one of the most transparent ESC nations this decade insofar as they haven't quite been able to send an eventful entry. In that, I totally second what @EscTurkey said above. The only Cypriot song that made it to one of my top 10 was "San Aggelos S'agapisa" (2011) aka the song that went completely unnoticed in the contest , still I think it remains their best effort of the decade so far. I also appreciated "La La Love" well enough, but you know, between their homemade sleeping pills ("Firefly", "Life Looks Better In Spring", "I Made Tea Myself", "One Thing I Should Have Done") and their impersonal Swedish imports, it is clear to me that Cyprus currently doesn't have anything interesting in store for me, and their lack of ambition certainly stems from the fact their objective is just to qualify. Most of the time, they succeed in doing so, with the obvious final outcome that awaits them (that is: a bottom place). With that being said, I have zero expectations when it comes to Cyprus, and unfortunately it doesn't seem like it's gonna change. For Kiev, they decided to send a Swedish import penned by G:son, which was already predicted to be the laziest move ever imo. And so "Gravity" was born: a relatively modern mid-tempo-ish track that was apparently inspired by Rag N' Bone Man (I didn't know this artist beforehand, so it didn't bother me, I guess the tempo, the beat and the way of singing are somewhat similar, but that's all). It started with a fading alarm, an intermittent bass line and a peculiar beat, which indeed is similar to "Human". I think the main appeal and asset of the song is that sonically and atmosphere-wise, it stood out from the rest of the 2017 lineup, however G:son gave Cypriots a lazy af composition that's literally made up of 3/4 melodic lines (hence why I won't bother describing the whole song). Therefore, as much as it was impactful at the beginning, the laziness of the melody/arrangement/vocal work mix makes it incredibly linear, repetitive and - dare I say - annoying. Past the first minute, it's the same thing over and over, the potential of the song is very limited I think (it's meant to be heard once, it doesn't have any replay value to me): some would call it catchy, I call it ininspired and irksome. The lyrics are - as expected - a bunch of nonsense meant to rhyme for the sake of it without having any actual meaning. While Minus One's song last year was average but bearable, this effort is a Swedish product by the numbers, with all the overused codes and expected lack of substance that go with it. Quickly heard, quickly forgotten. Meh. Pros: the beat and overall mood that stood out from the rest of the songs this year. Cons: very lazy composition, linear, repetitive, meaningless lyrics.

There are no highlights in that song to me, I'd say the first 30 seconds are effective for what they are (and I guess that's why people responded positively to it), but then it drags on like crazy. I'm not lying: the first time I heard it, I was already done with it after 1min30.

-Vocally, Hovig is a below average singer imo: not a particularly pleasing tone, no special vocal abilities, but I guess the song suited his range well (and it had to because the melody is a freaking loop! ). No wonder he performed the song very well both in the semi and the final, like in the studio cut. I wish there were vocal variations to elevate the song and give it a little bit of interest.

-Visually, they've gone for a classy minimalistic staging, which elevated the song for sure. Hovig began to perform alone on stage in front of a blue background and white lights. Then he walked on a white line that was drawn on the floor, and kicked its end to make a perpendicular one appear. Two male dancers dressed in black appeared and accompanied the singer in his dance/gesture routine. When the chorus came, the led screen turned white and displayed moving squares, which - as a die-hard ESC fan - were highly reminiscent of Loďc Nottet's "Rhythm Inside". So the three guys kept dancing, they even formed a chain following the white line at some point and used it for other choreographed moves (when they "punched" the floor all lined up for instance), which was the most memorable moment of the performance to me. The little break before the second chorus featured a totally white background, making the three people in the dark look like shadows; in the meantime the dancers were swinging Hovig: it was an effective shot. During the bridge, he lied down on the floor which kind of sent him into space, then they re-used the white lines as if they were acrobat's ropes and ended the performance with the chorus dance routine. While it wasn't evenly entertaining or particularly revolutionary, I guess it did the job given their qualification. However, I didn't really enjoy it because 1) I couldn't get Loďc's far superior staging out of my head, 2) Hovig's choreographed gestures looked a little bit too "basic-Melfest-male-singer style" imo (there was something try-hard about it), 3) I wish they had explored their work on white lines more, it was kind of interesting to play with them and build something around them.

-Results-wise, I was expecting Cyprus to qualify because their song was in the disposable-but-effective-enough-at-first-listening category, although I wish they didn't. In the final, no surprises either: 21st is what they usually get and still deserved this time imo. Surprisingly, televoters supported this more than juries, which is noteworthy as we always tend to think Cyprus can't count on televotes. In my personal ranking, "Gravity" is 42nd out of 43: I know I already said The Netherlands were given that place in my book, but I take back my words, Cyprus was far worse than "Lights And Shadows" - simply because it's awfully painful for me to go through an entire listening - only Spain is worse than them imo. Had I been the one to decide, of course Hovig wouldn't have qualified. I dismissed the song See you next year guys, I'm well aware good surprises can come from anywhere, so I may end up giving you twelve points in Lisbon - who knows? - that's the beauty of Eurovision. I would advise you to stay away from sleeping pills and G:son though, I get your goal is to qualify, but please try new things because I'm not feeling your efforts at all so far. Kisses from Paris

7. Ninja
    Portugal

I didn't really like the music, but ACOUSTIC VERSION is good.

FSC Portugal Karetus x Bárbara Bandeira x Yuzi - One Nation
    WV Londo​n Bear's Den - Agape

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 111718192021