View Poll Results: How do you rate the entry?

Voters
300. You may not vote on this poll

140 46.67%

35 11.67%

33 11.00%

27 9.00%

10 3.33%

11 3.67%

11 3.67%

3 1.00%

5 1.67%

4 1.33%

21 7.00%
Page 65 of 67 FirstFirst ... 155561626364656667 LastLast

Thread: BELGIUM 2017 - Blanche - City Lights

BELGIUM 2017 - Blanche - City Lights

2. Junior Member
    Italy

Re: BELGIUM 2017 - Blanche - City Lights

Well done, Blanche! Tons of people were bringing you down after the first rehearsals and they kept saying you couldn't even qualify, but at the end you managed to achieve the 4th place! Definitely one of my favourite songs this year (also, it's climbing the Italian iTunes chart too )
    Likes  Stiven, DaFlo liked this post

3. Wizard
    Austria

Belgium is my personal winner this year. Blanche should have received more support, especially from the juries. The juries underrated this song dramatically. At the same time, the juries overrated Australia.
    2018: | 10: CY | ranking in progress
    2017: BE | 2016: UA | 2015: AU | 2014: AT | 2013: NO | 2012: SE | 2011: SE | 2010: DE

4. Professor Goodfeels
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by A-lister View Post
    Still though juries completely ignores the whole "song" aspect and it's scary when pure crap songs are hailed because they got a wailer for three minutes where's actually good songs get sacked because the singer was not on top, again should we treat it as singing talent show or a song contest? Last I checked the latter was the actual purpose.

Also speaking of awkward performance, hello Portugal "I am such an artist so I will look stoned and nonchalant for three minutes because that's genuine"...
    I think feeling music with your body is more genuine than pretentiously twisting words around the mouth for three minutes, muttering and slurring in a very forced and fake (hipster indie pop) "i'm so delicate and special" way, but I guess that's just me. Her way of singing is completely soulless. I live for unique and different voices, but not contrived ones.

Blanche was horrific during the semis. I cringed so hard, and my cringe levels had lessened a humongous amount in the final... because she had improved. Do you think she should have got sympathy votes just because the song is good and contemporary? I don't. We save that kind of vote for the public. The jury are extremely questionable at times, and i'm annoyed with them this year especially, but you can't blame them for not supporting what was a car crash in the semis. In the press room vote, the song received 0 votes from hundreds of people. This is a song that was a huge fan favourite, and very well loved. What does that tell you? For me the vocalist is just as important as the song, often more so. Both matter. It's much easier though for an artist to ruin a song. Should juries go wild for "City Lights" just because it's a good, contemporary song and we had say Slavko performing it? Blache gave (in my opinion) one of the worst Eurovision performances ever during the semis, and she's extremely lucky that people actually did excuse her, and voted just because they appreciate the song (which is understandable. It's a cool composition). You shouldn't be able to turn up at Eurovision and perform like it's your first time on stage and get away with it.

Sorry, I actually wasn't going to come back here and be harsh about this song again, but the Salvador comment ignited my feelings once more. Congratulations on the top 5 placing Belgium.
    Likes  lavieenrose liked this post

Thank you for the memories Valentina. My Last.fm page NO, be bolder, golden light for miles.
    2017 ranking 12. Portugal 10. Albania 8. Finland 7. Montenegro 6. San Marino 5. Italy 4. Malta 3. Lithuania 2. Norway 1. Denmark
    "do you wanna into my body? oh.. this oculd be udnerstood in a wrong way" - Whiteshoes aka ShoeFlo
    "Slay me Chiara non-camp masc icon new lewk habba Zarbun" - Lavieenrose
    "Thank you for your rent risky weave didn't Raint" - Connor with some wise words for me
    "a guy in a hat... must be a kai entry" StarGazer

5. Hero
    Germany

I love it how the Belgians always challenge both the audience and themselves. Good luck for next year, make it good one again, please.

6. Wizard
    Austria

Quote Originally Posted by RainyWoods View Post
    I think feeling music with your body is more genuine than pretentiously twisting words around the mouth for three minutes, muttering and slurring in a very forced and fake (hipster indie pop) "i'm so delicate and special" way, but I guess that's just me. Her way of singing is completely soulless. I live for unique and different voices, but not contrived ones.

Blanche was horrific during the semis. I cringed so hard, and my cringe levels had lessened a humongous amount in the final... because she had improved. Do you think she should have got sympathy votes just because the song is good and contemporary? I don't. We save that kind of vote for the public. The jury are extremely questionable at times, and i'm annoyed with them this year especially, but you can't blame them for not supporting what was a car crash in the semis. In the press room vote, the song received 0 votes from hundreds of people. This is a song that was a huge fan favourite, and very well loved. What does that tell you? For me the vocalist is just as important as the song, often more so. Both matter. It's much easier though for an artist to ruin a song. Should juries go wild for "City Lights" just because it's a good, contemporary song and we had say Slavko performing it? Blache gave (in my opinion) one of the worst Eurovision performances ever during the semis, and she's extremely lucky that people actually did excuse her, and voted just because they appreciate the song (which is understandable. It's a cool composition). You shouldn't be able to turn up at Eurovision and perform like it's your first time on stage and get away with it.

Sorry, I actually wasn't going to come back here and be harsh about this song again, but the Salvador comment ignited my feelings once more. Congratulations on the top 5 placing Belgium.
    It's fine that you prefer Salvador's style but that doesn't make it objectively better than Blanche's style.
    Likes  12Points, GRE liked this post

2018: | 10: CY | ranking in progress
    2017: BE | 2016: UA | 2015: AU | 2014: AT | 2013: NO | 2012: SE | 2011: SE | 2010: DE

7. Ninja
    France

Just reacting on that : I guess that's not that chosen because she barely speaks english so she sings as teachers told us how to pronounce english. Actually I remember learning english in classes and the teachers kept telling us : imagine you have a hot potato in your mouth then pronounce the words (like really I'm not joking) and when I hear Blanche, she's just applying that and she was afraid to mispronounce things so I'm sure she exagerrated this hot potato thing. That doesn't take off how you dislike her way of singing but I genuinely don't think that was "fake" or a "current" way of singing just the way she learned it.
    Likes  RainyWoods liked this post

8. Professor Goodfeels
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Chorizo View Post
    It's fine that you prefer Salvador's style but that doesn't make it objectively better than Blanche's style.
    And I didn't say it was objectively better a single time in my post. I made it very clear it was what I thought "I think", "for me" and "in my opinion".

Thank you for the memories Valentina. My Last.fm page NO, be bolder, golden light for miles.
    2017 ranking 12. Portugal 10. Albania 8. Finland 7. Montenegro 6. San Marino 5. Italy 4. Malta 3. Lithuania 2. Norway 1. Denmark
    "do you wanna into my body? oh.. this oculd be udnerstood in a wrong way" - Whiteshoes aka ShoeFlo
    "Slay me Chiara non-camp masc icon new lewk habba Zarbun" - Lavieenrose
    "Thank you for your rent risky weave didn't Raint" - Connor with some wise words for me
    "a guy in a hat... must be a kai entry" StarGazer

9. Ninja
    Brazil

i mean, this is exactly how i feel about salvador, while i feel blanche is legit when it comes to emotions. not trying to start a fight with this, just using this to make this point:

Do you think she should have got sympathy votes just because the song is good and contemporary? I don't. We save that kind of vote for the public. The jury are extremely questionable at times, and i'm annoyed with them this year especially, but you can't blame them for not supporting what was a car crash in the semis. In the press room vote, the song received 0 votes from hundreds of people. This is a song that was a huge fan favourite, and very well loved. What does that tell you?
    this tells me that, while an opinion shared by a majority of the people in this board, it is still a subjective one that the juries could have very well disagreed with. if juries are to be considered objective for bombing blanche, then is it objective that demy performed better than norma john?

i get the point that you're making but if performance quality is subjective, then a-lister is not wrong (or right) in claiming song quality should be accounted for as much as performance quality is. it's all subjective anyway. also, sympathy votes just because the song is good and contemporary is a total thing the juries do, too. grab the moment just happened.
    Likes  A-lister, 0scar liked this post

10. Veteran
    Belgium

I'm so happy with the 4th place we got again, but IMO, Loc Nottet was better that Blanche Anyway, RTBF has been doing a great job this past few years.
    Likes  Stiven, 94ayd liked this post

11. Veteran
    Greece

Its a crime that this entry was ranked by juries equally with Moldova.
    Likes  daniels1000 liked this post