View Poll Results: How do you rate the entry?

Voters
300. You may not vote on this poll

140 46.67%

35 11.67%

33 11.00%

27 9.00%

10 3.33%

11 3.67%

11 3.67%

3 1.00%

5 1.67%

4 1.33%

21 7.00%
Page 56 of 66 FirstFirst ... 646525354555657585960 ... LastLast

Thread: BELGIUM 2017 - Blanche - City Lights

BELGIUM 2017 - Blanche - City Lights

2. Mentor
    Portugal

Re: BELGIUM 2017 - Blanche - City Lights

Can't believe this mess qualified over
    Likes  HatarWebbsidor liked this post

3. Ninja
    Brazil

Quote Originally Posted by RainyWoods View Post
    I'm sorry I did feel kind of awkward after writing all of that as it was very harsh, but I did feel strongly about the performance, and have always had major problems with this style of singing. It rubs me very much up the wrong way. The song is contemporary, and i'm guessing that's why it passed, but I found the performance excruciatingly hard to watch and listen to. I'm happy for Belgian people and the fans of this song, but i'm disappointed this has taken a spot in the final over some great songs that were performed stunningly and with true conviction.

I can see why fans like Blanche and this song. She's something different in the context of Eurovision at the very least. I know you're genuine with everything you thought about the performance. Everyone is different. Hey, I still have Sofi Marinova's "Love Unlimited" down as one of the best Eurovision performances ever I'm happy for you Alaska that Blanche made it, and i've had my rant now. You won't have to read anything else from me here on this song again........ unless it wins Oh boy, then i'll be back!
    i mean, nothing is for everyone and specially not blanche's singing style, but as i said, i don't think the performance here was lazy or out of conviction. maybe it feels awkward to see someone on the verge of tears on stage, but i think it had a purpose - even looking vulnerable i thought she looked and sounded confident in her performance. maybe if it wasn't the betrayed expectations of something that would look modern and strong, the hardcore fans (not you specifically; if her voice is the problem for you then it was never going to happen) would have understood this as easily as they did salvador. both were the big winners of the night with the viewers who probably got to know them for the first time, so it's possible this is the case.

either way i love your posts and the way you read things even when i disagree (i absolutely don't like suus!), so if not enjoying blanche is your thing right now then you do you! it's a good read regardless.
    Likes  RainyWoods liked this post

4. Legend
    Japan

Okay, firstly, you two are awesome. 99% of people (note that I didn't say "forum members") would've turned that into a full-blown plate-throwing contest, so props to ya mawmas for that kind of ridiculously calm and respectful conversation.

Secondly, I (mostly) agree with Kai.* In fact, sadly, I came to the reckoning that I just don't like how this song is performed. It felt like how the song was "supposed" to be performed, but for me, the entire experience fell very flat. There was just something which felt rather...hmm. How to put this. forced and choreographed about the emotional cues, and the vocal, I thought, was nothing to write home about either, with the cutoffs leaving the song with no momentum or flow. The way the lyrics flowed into each other was one of the things which really drew me to the song at first, so it was disappointing to see that gone.

*first time for everything, I know.
    Likes  RainyWoods, Alaska49, Lupus, nikkisback liked this post

Congrats Jamala/Salvador/Netta, best consecutive winners ever
    Just an Arizona snowbird who loves ESC

5. Mentor
    Portugal

Belgium qualifying was the real surprise of the night for me. Not because the song is bad at all.

But yeah, what's been said. I hate to say it and I know in my heart that I am wrong because she must be over the moon now that the fright has gone away. But during the performance, I did feel bad for her. She looked so lost throughout the performance and like the last thing she wanted was to be there on stage.

The staging was fine and as said and the song is not just something average (Belgium really got a true wake up call ever since "Mother" ). But by the end of the night I had forgotten a bit about it. Draw didn't help either.

After the results were revealed I felt like people felt sorry for her. Or that she passed because she was the pretty young female face up there in this semi. But thinking better now I can see that this had some following and even though those who support the song felt left down by her underwhelming performance...I believe she truly got a 2nd chance.

I have nothing against her or the song but I feel kind of mad when thinking of a wider Belgium context and come to my sense realizing that this song made it yet Kate Ryan...will never be avenged...
    Likes  Labra, NemesisNick liked this post

It was simple and nice. Blanche needs to improve her singing and that's all. But it is totally worth qualifying. Out of all the qualifiers, Belgium should be my favourite.
    Likes  NemesisNick liked this post

7. Wizard
    Austria

Blanche was terrific tonight. I was really worried because of the negative reactions to her rehearsals but I think everything went fine and she would indeed be a great winner. She deserves at least to be in the top 5.

The staging looks fantastic although it looked disappointing to me in the rehearsal footage. I used to think it's too bright but now I think they did a good job. The black dress was a good choice too and she even smiled when she got lots of cheers. Belgium has always been my number 2 behind Italy but I'm starting to get last-minute doubts about Italy. Italy's rehearsal footage isn't that great. When comparing it to Belgium in the semi, I think Belgium would be the better winner. Belgium is more modern and it could enter the charts throughout Europe. I don't think Italy has the same potential. To me Italy now suddenly looks too much like a typical televote winner that the juries should rank lower. Belgium looks wonderful and modern. Portugal is very special and would also be an interesting winner but outside of Eurovision, the song with the most potential is City Lights.

I hope Blanche will do really well on Saturday. Due to the negative reactions during last week, I was really worried, if she was even going to qualify, when only one country was left. So happy she made it!
    Likes  Gordon_Shumway liked this post

2018: | 10: CY | ranking in progress
    2017: BE | 2016: UA | 2015: AU | 2014: AT | 2013: NO | 2012: SE | 2011: SE | 2010: DE

8. Expert
    United States

Belgium suddenly back up to 6th and still shortening despite the thrashing Blanche has received everywhere online

If the rehearsals didn't get such negative feedback and they had a performer who was better up to the task Belgium probably could have won or come really really close. The general public really seem to like the song and I imagine it will be one of the biggest chart performers post contest.
    Likes  nikkisback liked this post

9. Wizard
    Austria

Already doing great on iTunes (whatever that means these days).
    http://esctracker.com/
    2018: | 10: CY | ranking in progress
    2017: BE | 2016: UA | 2015: AU | 2014: AT | 2013: NO | 2012: SE | 2011: SE | 2010: DE

10. Ninja
    Bosnia Herzegovina

Watched it last night with friends. They are not into Eurovision, they don't watch rehearsals etc. They were quite impressed with Belgium - they find in interesting and different. Also, they realized she was nervous, but they found it cute somehow. Despite I was like "meh" and put Belgium almost outside the top 10, it seems that general public (that represents 99% of televoting results, while real Euro fans are nothing) really appreciate the song and her look. I think Belgium might surprise us.

11. Legend
    Germany

The song is really great. I hope, that Blanche will be better on Saturday. I think, it was not sure to reach the final after this performance. She was really nervous. Good luck on Saturday.