View Poll Results: How do you rate the entry?

Voters
206. You may not vote on this poll

17 8.25%

16 7.77%

16 7.77%

18 8.74%

33 16.02%

21 10.19%

18 8.74%

13 6.31%

13 6.31%

7 3.40%

34 16.50%
Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253

Thread: AUSTRALIA 2017 - Isaiah Firebrace - Don't Come Easy

AUSTRALIA 2017 - Isaiah Firebrace - Don't Come Easy

2. Addict
    Norway

Re: AUSTRALIA 2017 - Isaiah Firebrace - Don't Come Easy

Yeah Lee and Dami are awesome, and they're asians like me. Asians rock!
    Likes  Eulaliya, 12Points liked this post

3. Enthusiast
    Belgium

2 points from the televote was maybe a bit too little, but this song really didn't deserve all the jury votes, it was very mediocre.
    Likes  Dorientje liked this post

THE UK WAS TOTALLY ROBBED! LUCIE WAS AMAZING YOU ARE ALL DEAF EUROPE!!!

4. Senior Member
    Germany

2 Points is too much. I dont know what is wrong in the Heads of all those danish people.
    Likes  Edward liked this post

5. Senior Member
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by blue00eyes View Post
    If "Don't Come Easy" represented my country, it wouldn't have been rewarded with more than even 30 points.
    Just found out that Isaiah (171 Pts) got three times more Points than Cleo, Monika, Michal and Kasia (55) together

6. Veteran
    Italy

IMO, this song should've been performed by someone more confident than Isaiah (even though I like his voice).

170+ points were deserved tbh
    Likes  randajad liked this post

7. Ninja
    Poland

Quote Originally Posted by Realest View Post
    Just found out that Isaiah (171 Pts) got three times more Points than Cleo, Monika, Michal and Kasia (55) together
    What to say .. we have to send 3x better song than to receive as much points as they do

8. Expert
    France

My review of "Don't Come Easy":

-You know my opinion about Australia in Eurovision, don't you? You don't? Then let me give you a summary of it: after getting over the fact Australians are in for good - which was obvious the moment they were first invited in 2015 - I actually wondered what the hype was all about since musically I saw nothing more than a Denmark 2.0 (who are the epitome of beigeness/safeness). To me, Australia 2015 and 2016 were like Denmark 2010 and 2011: average songs magically ending up in the top 5. Therefore, no need to say my expectations for 2017 weren't high, as I was pretty much certain their successes wouldn't encourage them to be more daring. And I was right, "Don't Come Easy" followed the steps of their past entries, but - I know it's an unpopular opinion - it was actually a decent effort this time imo. The song is an American-sounding mainstream pop ballad with no particular identity or exciting twist, however the structure of it de facto makes it superior to "Tonight Again" and "Sound Of Silence" which sounded incredibly demo-ish and unfinished. Here, we had proper verses, choruses and even a bridge! It felt like a complete song. It started without an intro like a slow and quiet piano/voice ballad, after some time a beat gave the song a proper pace during what seemed to be the chorus. Regarding the melody, I think it was easy-listening and lovely to hear since it flowed nicely, however it did seem familiar, which in my book was annoying (I want to be surprised, not reminded of something else!). For the second chorus, a neater beat took the reins while a synth embellishment gave more life to that part: it's the only element of the whole instrumentation I found unexpected. A second chorus ensued with backing voices gradually adding depth, the build up wasn't as amazing as in some other entries (it's a song that played on linearity after all), but there was one at least. The vocal variations and vibes were welcome though, I appreciate that improvement over "Sound Of Silence" whose work on vocals was reduced to a minimum. Then the bridge came with the same synth hook as in the second verse, and backing vocalises: the melody also changed, which was noteworthy. Then the chorus resumed with a "high" note, some ad-libs and the full blown instrumentation. Eventually, the song ended like it started with some piano notes. Personally, I think it is BY FAR the best Australian entry so far (not that the standard was high, but still): we got a non-irritating melody, decent arrangements and some efforts put into the build-up and variations (both vocally and melodically). I'm not saying it's a holy Grail by any means as it remained standardised and conventional, but in its mainstream pop segment and given the low musical quality this year, "Don't Come Easy" actually came across as more than decent tbh. I didn't really like it at first, but it grew on me to some extent and I don't mind listening to it at all now. Still, Australians could use some originality, safeness is "fun" for a year or two, then it gets truly boring, it's a song contest after all. Give me some bold piece of music! Pros: High-end sounding mainstream pop ballad, the synth element included in the verse and bridge, the effort put in build-up and vocal variation compared to their past efforts. Cons: while it's pleasant enough to listen to, it's too safe and unoriginal (and too American to top it all).

My personal highlight would be the bridge actually: the melody there is quite charming, and I like both the synth and the background vocalises.

-Vocally, Isaiah's vocal tone is unusually deep and mature for a young man this age. It's a good surprise after two representatives I couldn't stand. I like that he's attracted to vocal vibes, not many male singers do that nowadays. Live he was a relatively stable performer, his semi live wasn't good though and his noticeable vocal fail was immortalised in the recap after Tamara's slayage, it would have been difficult to shine anyway. Thankfully, he upped his game in the final and did justice to the song.

-Visually, I had mixed feelings. It started with Isaiah standing on a moving disc in the dark, as soon as the first chorus began a blue wave of light appeared on the LED screen, along with several selfies of him. Then the disc started moving again and Isaiah walked to keep the same position... I don't know about this, on one hand it added motion to a performance that would have been static otherwise, and on the other hand, it looked kind of pointless. During the second verse, a big pink selfie and white points filled the background while some wind machine was added to make his hair float. I cherished the colour scheme though: after the Czechs and their delightful yellow/purple pick, Australians chose pink and turquoise blue, which imo looked bomb together. The second chorus featured wide camera shots allowing us to see the multiple selfies almost as if Isaiah was standing in front of a multifaceted mirror. I liked that. During the chorus, the big blue selfie reappeared, this time with air bubbles like he was under water. For the last chorus, the overused pyro curtain (which I'm really fed up with tbh) and "fountains" were used, but I don't think it added anything at that point. Camera-wise I enjoyed the alternation between frontal shots and diagonal out-of-focus ones filming him in a tiny corner of what we saw on screen, the latter was rather original and cool imo. Outfit-wise, Isaiah wore a very sober black top and trousers, as well as a long greyish blue coat. Overall, I think the presentation was in line with the song: perfectly acceptable and pleasant, yet not really eventful or remarkable enough. I liked the colour scheme and the way they stylised the selfie thing, however there might have been too much of him throughout the performance. Not a fan of the pyros there, and I still don't know how I feel about the moving disc. Despite these "flaws", it's probably the Australian staging I enjoyed the most so far.

-Results-wise, Australia qualified of course, I'd like to be proven wrong but I don't think they'll ever be left in the semis. At first, I was upset but in hindsight I think they deserved to get through given how poor the first semi was (and much worse songs qualified imo). The final result however was hilarious: 4th place with juries... ok! I actually found all the outraged commentaries here quite delightful to read because now more people might have understood that those of us who were claiming the bias was real since day one weren't totally wrong. The way these "musical experts" pushed the song both in the semi and in the final was so unsubtle and predictable tbh, sorry to say but flags do count in their books. On the contrary, 2pts from the televoters was totally shocking and unexpected, I wouldn't have imagined such a cold shower! In all honesty, the song deserved more than two points imo, yet I'm glad the Australian delegation got that slap on the face because they needed a wake-up call. Shame that song in particular had to bear the brunt of it. Overall, 9th place isn't bad at all though, I even think it's still way too high: 15th would have been nice. In my personal ranking, "Don't Come Easy" is around 14th-15th places, surprisingly it grew on me and I believe it was quite high-end in the standard mainstream pop category (Slovenia, Austria, The Netherlands or Denmark were much more offensive to me). I truly hope the Australian delegation will change their approach even though 9th place isn't low enough for them to reassess themselves. Guys, you certainly have plenty of artists in store, Eurovision probably has a good reputation in your country and you've got money to spend on the contest: so why not be musically bolder? why not push boundaries? why not send alternative acts? why not pick artists with an actual vision rather than talent show singers singing karaoke on basic stuff heard zillions times before? These are real questions. I believe you can do much much better than what you gave us so far, we already have one Denmark, there is no need to have two. See you next year! Please, please experiment! Make the most of the "natural" support you have and send something memorable with a true identity for a change!

9. Senior Member
    Croatia

Don't come easy, in my opinion, was the best Australian attempt.
    I don't think juries put them to high. For me, this was one of the best songs in the competition.
    Go Isaiah!

10. Senior Member
    Germany

Just watched this performance again after months.. and I feel so disgusted...Probably the Worst Top10 Finisher in the History.

Page 53 of 53 FirstFirst ... 3434950515253