View Poll Results: How do you rate the entry?

Voters
420. You may not vote on this poll

243 57.86%

44 10.48%

27 6.43%

16 3.81%

18 4.29%

13 3.10%

3 0.71%

8 1.90%

12 2.86%

6 1.43%

30 7.14%
Page 242 of 245 FirstFirst ... 142192232238239240241242243244245 LastLast
Results 2,411 to 2,420 of 2446

Thread: ITALY 2017 - Francesco Gabbani - Occidentali's Karma

ITALY 2017 - Francesco Gabbani - Occidentali's Karma

2. Addict
    Great Britain

Re: ITALY 2017 - Francesco Gabbani - Occidentali's Karma

Quote Originally Posted by MyHeartIsYours View Post
    When this performed last night I said to my friend "this ain't winning, in fact it ain't coming top 5" - turns out I was right. And tbh I'm glad, I love Italy and I'd love them to win/host, but this wasn't the one to do it with. I don't find it terribly appealing any which way I look at it. A quality Italian entry for me is the likes of Marco Mengoni, Il Volo, not this weird dancing and ape.

Portugal, Bulgaria, Moldova, Belgium and Sweden all deserved to finish above this, so did several others as a matter of fact.
    I was watching the response of the betting odds (normally a very good indicator of what is going to happen) and it fell from joint favourite to 11-1 almost straight away after the performance.

I still think it had the potential to do a lot better, though. His vocals were just not as good as the national final, the colours were all wrong and as the guys on Wiwiblogs said - it was completely overdone and too try hard. They should have gone for a similar aesthetic to the video.

It would have been very hard to beat Salvador, but if the performance was actually put together correctly it would have been top three.
    Likes  Stiven liked this post

3. Senior Member
    Netherlands

I think the fandom, myself included might possibly slightly unnecessarily overhyped this entry, myself included.
    The cut of the second verse, the lack of orchestra as support,the not so perfect vocals, all just little blows that tore away on Francesco's pedestal.

I can understand that it landed behind and even Memelords , but and ? Really? I mean seriously?
    As much as it pains me to say this, it might have been the Italian language this time that killed it.
    I mean most of us agreed that it's a great cheerful and uplifting song which is qualitatively good and very catchy, but it got it's super status by it's message which tied in the staging perfectly.
    But as much as we like to delve into the meaning of Eurovision songs, 99% of the voters do not have the time, interest or patience to do the same.
    I'm sure that every broadcaster gave one line to the message of the song, but if I look at my family and friends during Eurovision, nobody is listening or nobody cares.
    What they than see is an Italian man singing Italian gibberish with a dancing ape that comes out of nowhere and has no place on the stage.
    Combine that with the problems mentioned earlier and you have barely top 10 result left.

I think it's a shame, but I will always keep this entry in my heart and it will be remembered by the fandom for a very long time.
    For Italy this is still a sign that their current set-up of San Remo is still perfect and if they keep at this, they win Eurovision in no time.
    Likes  Ellen, Polly, Scania, Jay25, Neo liked this post

2017: 1. Italy 2. Bulgaria 3. Finland 4. Belgium 5. Azerbaijan 6. Latvia 7. France 8. Iceland 9. Belarus 10. Austria

4. Senior Member
    Netherlands

CONFESSION I still don't have a clue what Occidentali's Karma is about but it still ended up in my top three.
    Didn't like the live version though
    Personal winners 18: | 17: France | 16: Australia | 15: Estonia | 14: Netherlands | 13: Israel | 12: Sweden | 11: Serbia | 10: Germany

Quote Originally Posted by ES2011 View Post
    I can understand that it landed behind and even Memelords , but and ? Really? I mean seriously?
    You could do a bigger list for Azerbaijan this year. Every year there are songs you could say are underrated. None of the Italian entries have been severely underrated except for last year, so they've actually had a good time of it.

6. Ninja
    France

I wanted to see the performance again but actually all Italy + fans of the songs are having a meltdown in the comments. It's not good to see :-( Don't loose your faith italian friends and see the good side of it : another top 10 !

7. Senior Member
    Germany

So where to begin...

First of all, my very first impression of the song when listening to it for the first time was like 'yeah, okay' and I could absolutely not get all the hype around this. I thought it was decent but I felt no winner vibes. I felt like this the whole pre-contest time. I was actually a bit put off by the whole hype and maybe a lot of people were too. This could have been affected the juries especially because would you dare to give your 12s to a country everyone is expecting to win? Juries would be accused of being biased if they did, so for half of the "Italian fail" juries should take credit for. Surprisingly or better not so surprisingly Italy didn't also very well in the telephone vote and I wrote it some days ago on this forum, that most people had to decide between Portugal and Italy. These people did probably not vote for anyone else so some other countries like Bulgaria or Moldova gathered a huge amount of votes from people who neither voted for Italy nor Portugal. It was clear, one of the two favourites had to fail! Tbh, until the final I was sure Italy would be the winner but then I saw Francesco's live performance for the very first time. Right after I was sure it wouldn't do that well. Why? Because I always thought, despite not understanding the whole lyrics completely, the song would have a deeper meaning. Though mocking a certain lifestyle the message would mean something, something serious. After the performance I was like "wtf, why is he so overacting, is he trying to be ridiculous'?
    Probably that's what a lot of people thought. Well, what a pity, I did prefer this over Portugal, but that's Eurovision. And I am somehow glad the outstanding favourite was dethroned last minute, otherwise it really would have been boring.
    Likes  Neo liked this post

I’m not afraid to grow old
    If I have your hand to hold

8. Guru
    Japan

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLuis View Post
    I think this is unfair. You do realize that Portugal broke the record for most points ever? And even if it was in the old voting system we would have broken that record, with over 400 points.
    Did you check the dislikes in the Portuguese video? If you haven't, let me tell you: 20k
    It's obviously a love-hate song.
    The people who love it had it in their 1st place, but the people who hated it had it at their 42th (like me)
    And for me, a song that thousands of people put in their 42th isn't worth winning.
    This will remain the most forgettable winner of the decade.
    Even below Azerbaijan.
    Likes  LesterMalvo liked this post

9. Senior Member
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by LoveHate View Post
    How is this a favorite to win? It's not that I don't like it, but... It's not THAT good. Not even top-3 Italian entry since their return, so I would honestly be a little upset if this one does the best.
    I did warm up to the song after this post in March, but I never understood why it was such a big favorite. Now I'm upset it did worse than Sweden. The other countries above Italy I can somewhat understand.
    2017: Portugal - douze points, Hongrie - dix points, Italie - huit points

10. Active Member
    Italy

I read this news too, about RAI wanting to change Sanremo.
    I'd change only few thing about Sanremo, max 3 days, like it was time ago, and reduce the max time of every evening, cut the blabbering with guest-star, cut the useless comical-show, and leave more space to music. Stop.

"Sanremo giovani" could became the contest for the italian ESC contestant. But it need more space given than like it is now, so, split the two things and if needed could be used a different theatre. Here, and just here, could be put a 3 mitutes long stop for every song.

11. Active Member
    Finland

Quote Originally Posted by LoveHate View Post
    I did warm up to the song after this post in March, but I never understood why it was such a big favorite. Now I'm upset it did worse than Sweden. The other countries above Italy I can somewhat understand.
    Hahah same here... what makes me super pissed is not the fact that Italy came 6th, but that Robin did better than Francesco. I will not get over that fact anytime soon. What the eff, juries?!
    Likes  EscTurkey, Polly, GRE liked this post