View Poll Results: How do you rate the entry?

Voters
421. You may not vote on this poll

243 57.72%

44 10.45%

28 6.65%

16 3.80%

18 4.28%

13 3.09%

3 0.71%

8 1.90%

12 2.85%

6 1.43%

30 7.13%
Page 240 of 245 FirstFirst ... 140190230236237238239240241242243244 ... LastLast
Results 2,391 to 2,400 of 2447

Thread: ITALY 2017 - Francesco Gabbani - Occidentali's Karma

ITALY 2017 - Francesco Gabbani - Occidentali's Karma

2. Junkie
    Japan

Re: ITALY 2017 - Francesco Gabbani - Occidentali's Karma

ESC is a contest that even gave the legendary song "Volare" 3rd place in 1958, does anyone remember "Dors, mon amour" winner of that year?

So I think Francesco shouldn't be disappointed at all.

50 years later, everyone will know Occidentali's Karma, it might even reach 1 billion views and it will be sung in eurovision events by everyone, just like Volare today.

Portugal? Nobody will even remember the song 3 days later.
    Likes  sapsan liked this post

3. Legend
    Poland

I really hope for Francesco victory. I am not satisfied with his score, he deserved better. But we have got an amazing winner.
    Likes  ZoboCamel liked this post

EUROVISION 2018 GROMEE & LUKAS MEIJER - LIGHT ME UP
    #TeamGromee #TeamLukas #Krakow2019 #LightMeUp

4. Hero
    Austria

I realized that Italy suddenly competed against Moldova and Romania in the novelty act zone. This song just did not stand out for its merits, that we all acknowledged.
    Likes  GRE, 94ayd liked this post

Laid dagger dead inside a lonely bed, trying to hide the hole inside my head, watching the stars slide down to reach the end. The sleep is not my friend. Drinking shampain to forget yesterday, coz I remember the way it ended that day, that I walked away.

Drinking shampain made by the angel who goes by the name of Glittering Gabriel
    Drinking shampain made by all the angels'
    tears and pain, but I feel celestial.

Elderly stars slide down the morning sky, slipping away to find a place to die. I wonder when the night will reach its end. The sleep is not my friend.

Drinking shampain meant for a wedding. Toast to the bride a fairy tail ending.
    Drinking shampain, a bottle to myself. Savor the taste of fabricated wealth.

Drinking shampain made by all the angels' tears and pain, but I feel celestial.

5. Ninja
    UK

i just don't think the song translated well on stage at all. it worked well at sanremo because everyone spoke italian and understood it, but when it was just him and the gorilla with no explanation last night i wasn't shocked when he didn't do as well as expected
    Likes  94ayd liked this post

6. Legend
    Slovenia

i told ya some english wouldn't hurt
    Say "Na na na" 22 times. Yes, you're gonna like it! Ya-la-la

7. Legend
    UK

For me, this stopped looking like a winner with the staging; the backing singers added absolutely nothing to it whatsoever and it lost some of charm it had at Sanremo. It should have just been him and his gorilla; nothing else on stage. I do wonder if their attitude to it all harmed them as well; too much trying to explain the deeper meaning behind the song; the constant insistence that the gorilla was not a gimmick or a joke and suchlike just made them seem like they were sending in a joke which everyone else got but they didn't... Maybe a more relaxed approach; letting people take it as it came and just making the package as a whole a little bit simpler would have helped them. I dunno; just my ha'penny's worth!
    Likes  ZoboCamel, 94ayd liked this post

| WV's Laird and Maister of |
    On a one man mission to sabotage the Netherlands' chances of winning Eurovision by giving it 3/10 on the ESCUnited poll
    "Mean and attention seeker attitude" | "He just seems like a hater" | "He sounded like Bruce Forsyth" | "disqualify’s Robert UK as an expert" | "Robert dont have a hart" [sic] | "Looking like an overgrown munchkin"

8. Addict
    United States

I've been trying to think of what to say because I saw the hit potential like so many others did straight out of Sanremo. The thing is, it stood out in Sanremo because of the nature of this year's edition, it had the right message at the right time. When ESC itself came along, as someone said earlier, Italy had the message and Portugal was the message. Salvador's comments on the "drive-by" and instant nature of pop music today was in line with this song's comments on Western culture as a whole. The ironic nature of Occidentali's Karma got largely missed by the crowd, maybe it was people getting caught up in the gorilla suit and seeing it as a gimmick and not a metaphor as others have said. It managed a high top 10 placing because of the fans coming in and maybe a few others along the way, but the message truly got lost in the mix.

This was an awesome entry and one of my favorites since starting to watch ESC in 2012. Forza Francesco! Great job Italy, the rest of the Big 5 could use your repeated top 10 magic.

9. Legend
    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by EscTurkey View Post
    ESC is a contest that even gave the legendary song "Volare" 3rd place in 1958, does anyone remember "Dors, mon amour" winner of that year?

So I think Francesco shouldn't be disappointed at all.

50 years later, everyone will know Occidentali's Karma, it might even reach 1 billion views and it will be sung in eurovision events by everyone, just like Volare today.

Portugal? Nobody will even remember the song 3 days later.
    I think this is unfair. You do realize that Portugal broke the record for most points ever? And even if it was in the old voting system we would have broken that record, with over 400 points.
    Likes  94ayd liked this post

10. Ninja
    France

Quote Originally Posted by DanielLuis View Post
    I think this is unfair. You do realize that Portugal broke the record for most points ever? And even if it was in the old voting system we would have broken that record, with over 400 points.
    No offense, but I don't think there's a link between "most points" and "charting song". Last year most charting song is Sweden and they didn't win. Portugal won yesterday because they were the best act for Europeans and Australia but that doesn't mean at all that he's going to last in the charts. So I won't say people will forgot this song after 3days, because it won't but a Winning song is not always the song that do the best in the charts afterwards. (btw congrats )

11. Hero
    Austria

Quote Originally Posted by popavapeur View Post
    No offense, but I don't think there's a link between "most points" and "charting song".
    But Eurovision is not necessarily there to find the next big radio hit but to bring Europe for one night together and celebrate diversity in their music.
    Likes  lavieenrose, 94ayd liked this post

Laid dagger dead inside a lonely bed, trying to hide the hole inside my head, watching the stars slide down to reach the end. The sleep is not my friend. Drinking shampain to forget yesterday, coz I remember the way it ended that day, that I walked away.

Drinking shampain made by all the angels'
    tears and pain, but I feel celestial.

Elderly stars slide down the morning sky, slipping away to find a place to die. I wonder when the night will reach its end. The sleep is not my friend.

Drinking shampain meant for a wedding. Toast to the bride a fairy tail ending.
    Drinking shampain, a bottle to myself. Savor the taste of fabricated wealth.

Drinking shampain made by all the angels' tears and pain, but I feel celestial.