Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Your Face Sounds Familiar

1. Ninja
    Czech Republic

Re: Your Face Sounds Familiar

The most entertaining acts of tonight´s episode:

As expected - Marta Jandová

...as Alice Cooper:

A winning performance of David Gránský (mostly a soap opera actor)

...as Nina Simone:

...and a nerdy-looking actor Jan Cina

...as Madonna:

2. Ninja
    Czech Republic

Yesterday´s episode was somewhat weaker in my opinion, but here´s a winning performance anyway:

Marta Jandová as slightly breathy Beyoncé:

And a truly bizarre highlight of version - a former contestant of Czecho-Slovak Superstar Martin Harich

...as CeeLo Green:

3. Ninja
    Czech Republic

It seems I am the only weirdo on the forum interested in this show. Anyway... Few performances from yesterday´s version:

The most enjoyable performance and the best mask (in my opinion) - Jan Cina as Outkast:

...a winning performance of Roman Vojtek as Jon Bon Jovi...

...the obligatory Marta Jandová, this time as Annie Lennox...

...and from the opposite side of the qualitative spectrum, Miroslav Etzler as @RainyWoods´favorite Amanda Lear.

Likes  RainyWoods, theCONWEL liked this post

4. Tease-a-Louise
    UK

@Ritararita Oh my gosh, that Amanda Lear performance just slayed me, it was that hot! "Give a bit of HhhHUM to me" I love it. My favourite part is during the first chorus where we witness the creation of a new language for a few seconds. Such a legendary song and he did it proud. This Amanda Lear super fan is impressed.

We had this show here in the UK as well. I don't watch TV anymore so I don't know if it still exists but my memory from it was this super bless performance from Cheryl Fergison, an actress who had recently before this had the beloved character she played in a soap for years killed off. She took the whole show so super seriously, like as if it was her big break into the music industry, and was crying all the time.

Likes  Ritararita liked this post

5. Mentor
    Poland

Have you seen Michał Szpak?

Likes  Ritararita, Eulaliya, CaraMia, EscGeek liked this post

6. Ninja
    Czech Republic

@blue00eyes Not until now. Brilliant.

@RainyWoods My theory is that he thinks the song is about the famous German cipher machine and therefore it should be sung in enigmatic language. (Which is not that new, actually. It´s called Czenglish. I speak fluently).
    Likes  RainyWoods liked this post

7. Ninja
    Czech Republic

From newest episode of version:

Marta Jandová as Bonnie Tyler. Interestingly, when the host said the thing they have in common is participation in Eurovision, Marta was surprised. She didn´t know.

Winning performance of Markéta Procházková as Scooter

Roman Vojtek as Ray Charles (and some of last season participants as his backing singers)

imho undeserved last placer David Gránský as Meghan Trainor

...and the most hilarious performance (and one of the closest to original), which is unfortunately internationally untranslatable, I´m afraid. Basically, it´s a cult Czech song from the 1970s, telling a tragic story of an eccentric Moravian villager, killed by his townsmen who believed that he was a man-eating swamp monster.

Miroslav Etzler as Ivan Mládek and Ondřej Sokol (host of the show) as titular "Jožin z bažin" ("Joe from the Swamps")

Likes  RainyWoods, Lupus liked this post

8. Tease-a-Louise
    UK

Miroslav Etzler for the win

I keep thinking about his fantabulous Amanda Lear. I found another really great Amanda, and she gets the mannerisms down pretty darn well, but Miroslav is still my fave

Likes  lavieenrose, Ritararita liked this post

9. Legend
    United States

I've really enjoyed both of the Amanda Lear performances, but I'm a tiny bit miffed about something rather insignificant: she has other songs! "Enigma" is an epic classic and deserves its reputation as upper-echelon Amanda Lear, but she has a ton of other songs, including ones where doing a great impersonation is much easier. I'm already saying to myself as I write this "Palassssssss Hotellllllllllllll, I wait for youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" and finding it pretty easy to slip into that silky, sultry drone. I dunno. She isn't exactly a household name here, maybe she's more of a one hit wonder on my dear other side of the Atlantic.

Wow, did I really write THAT MUCH about Amanda Lear's back-catalogue? LalehForWD has a point when talking about uninteresting contributions to the forum :P
    Likes  RainyWoods, Lupus liked this post

RIP Carola's self-written song about Jebus
    12 10 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1
    I don't get it. Is this supposed to be a joke comment? Or your way of trying trolling and bitch around in the thread? Either way you better step up in that game OR better yet (really), just be yourself and speak honestly about your true heart's desire regarding the topic at hand.

10. Tease-a-Louise
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by lavieenrose View Post
    I've really enjoyed both of the Amanda Lear performances, but I'm a tiny bit miffed about something rather insignificant: she has other songs! "Enigma" is an epic classic and deserves its reputation as upper-echelon Amanda Lear, but she has a ton of other songs, including ones where doing a great impersonation is much easier. I'm already saying to myself as I write this "Palassssssss Hotellllllllllllll, I wait for youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu" and finding it pretty easy to slip into that silky, sultry drone. I dunno. She isn't exactly a household name here, maybe she's more of a one hit wonder on my dear other side of the Atlantic.

Wow, did I really write THAT MUCH about Amanda Lear's back-catalogue? LalehForWD has a point when talking about uninteresting contributions to the forum :P
    "Enigma (Give A Bit Of Mmh To Me)" is Amanda's piece de la resistance. It is the classic, usually touted with "Follow Me" as her very best. I recall a Your Face Sounds Familiar performance of that as well but I couldn't find it (probably has been removed). Those are her signature tunes, her biggest hits. They will always be the songs covered, just like it's always going to be "I Need A Hero" and "Total Eclipse Of The Heart" for Bonnie Tyler. I love "Follow Me" but I think it's perhaps a tad overrated by fans. "Enigma (Give A Bit Of Mmh To Me)" on the other hand is not, and is my favourite Amanda Lear song, and i've got like 262 of her songs in my itunes library. For me it is the best disco song of all time. You're right though in that she has a whole lot more that could be performed. I'm surprised we haven't seen "Queen Of Chinatown" yet, which is another one of her signature tunes. "Gold" is probably my second second favourite Amanda Lear song and I would consider covering it if I was on the show........... and from this moment on it is my life goal to become famous in Czechia just so I can enter Your Face Sounds Familiar and cover Amanda Lear. I would also do Kurt Vile, Mac DeMarco, Dalida, Eartha Kitt, Billie Holiday, Ariel Pink, Mikal Cronin, Nico and Valentina Monetta Hopefully i'll have enough weeks for all that.

Amanda Lear - Gold
    Kurt Vile - Pretty Pimpin
    Mac DeMarco My Kind Of Woman (bodies would be slayed with this one as I can do him so well)
    Dalida - Je Suis Malade
    Eartha Kitt - I Love Men
    Billie Holiday - Don't Explain
    Ariel Pink - Are You Gonna Look After My Boys?
    Mikal Cronin - Weight
    Nico - My Funny Valentine
    Valentina Monetta - The Social Network Song (Oh Oh-Uh-Oh Oh)
    Likes  lavieenrose, Ritararita liked this post

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast