View Poll Results: How do you rate this entry?

Voters
197. You may not vote on this poll

59 29.95%

25 12.69%

16 8.12%

17 8.63%

16 8.12%

18 9.14%

14 7.11%

7 3.55%

6 3.05%

6 3.05%

13 6.60%
Page 130 of 130 FirstFirst ... 3080120126127128129130
Results 1,291 to 1,296 of 1296

Thread: ESTONIA 2016 - Jüri Pootsmann - Play

Exclamation ESTONIA 2016 - Jüri Pootsmann - Play

Jüri Pootsmann - Play

Meet & Greet:

Jüri Pootsmann (born 1 July 1994), is an Estonian singer. He won the sixth season of Eesti otsib superstaari, and will represent Estonia in the Eurovision Song Contest 2016 with the song "Play".

Known for his deep and sultry tone, Jüri's style of music ranges from pop-rock to soul. Pootsmann is one of the most promising male singers in Estonia, having a mixed genre style and varied vocal range.
    In November of 2015 Jüri released his first EP Jüri Pootsmann, produced by Sten Sheripov with co-author Vaiko Eplik and co-producer Kim W. His first LP is planned for mid-2016. He is signed to Universal Music Baltics.

Source: Last.fm

Re: ESTONIA 2016 - Jüri Pootsmann - Play

Quote Originally Posted by tuorem View Post
    Voice: Jüri's voice is very deep and suits the song perfectly. His tone was special enough to make the song stand out even more imo. However, I did have the impression he was stressed during the semi and thus didn't deliver as much as he could. I mean his performance was very decent, but he didn't have that extra spark of confidence and mystery he had during Eesti Laul.
    Jüri has succeeded a lot of things in last 2 years. He won the 6th season of Eesti otsib superstaari, and then he released his first single Torm. He reached the 7th number in Estonian music charts, which is a big success for a 20-year-old singer who released his first single. In the same year, his second single "Aga siis" reached number 1 in Estonia. Then he released his first EP with 5 songs. 2015 sure was a year full of work and luck for Jüri. The next year he won Eesti Laul with 32,394 votes and reached number 3 in Estonian charts. My point is, these are too much than expected for a 21 year old singer. And that kind of success, of course, causes a pressure on person. I think it explains why his performance in the semi final was weak compared to his Eesti Laul performance. Opening a window to whole continent was kinda stressful for him, I assume. And I think it is extremely reasonable. And still, I believe it wasn't deserved last place. Although people in general disliked his tricks and dark-theme mood, they are significant stands of Jüri and it gives him a mysterious profile which I find quite interesting. The same goes for the song Play. Good thing is, he is young enough to take different shots in Eesti Laul and Eurovision. Hopefully, I'm expecting to see him again in the following years, preferably working with Stig Rästa. Both of his composed songs are my winners of their years. I can't see why not again.

During his press conference, Jüri said that he is preparing a new album which will be released by the end of this year. But Stig Rästa and him don't have a specifical future plans for his career. So I guess we won't see his another work with Rästa in the album. So I can't be sure how much I like the album but still waiting for it.

By the way, today is Jüri's birthday and he hit the age 22.
    Likes  12Points, tuorem liked this post

12 Belgium · 10 Italy · 08 Latvia
    Belarus · Israel · Romania · San Marino

3. Ninja
    Netherlands

@tuorem Did you only hear all songs for the first time during the actual show?

4. Expert
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchball View Post
    @tuorem Did you only hear all songs for the first time during the actual show?
    Almost, because I want to be surprised The only ones I knew were France (I always listen to my country's entry before), Slovenia (because I followed their NF) and Italy (since I watched all the San Remo shows live).

That's difficult not to hit "play" for the rest though so instead I read the threads and people's comments about the songs. I stop reading when rehearsals start because I don't want to be spoiled in this regard either, so that when I watch the shows it's all new and fresh to me, still I have people's opinions in mind and compare them with my own, that's fun.

And that way, I don't suffer from PED (post-Eurovision depression) because it takes time to make a personal ranking afterwards.

--

@LesterMalvo Don't get me wrong, I didn't say Jüri couldn't sing to save his life It's just that on that particular night, he wasn't at his best because he was stressed, which is understandable, and he got us used to more confidence on stage. However, I still believe his performance was vocally more than good enough to qualify. As you said, at such a young age, he's already got tons of different experiences and he may well be back at Eesti Laul someday. This is not the end of something for him, still I think he was underrated like crazy, the fact juries didn't support him is really strange to me

5. Junkie
    Bosnia Herzegovina

If he just waited and entered Eesti Laul with Silmades.

6. Senior Member
    Germany

Cant understand the negative comments here. He deserved the final. He had his own style and brought something new to the ESC-Stage.
    Likes  ati0111 liked this post

7. Senior Member
    Switzerland

Quote Originally Posted by eerik View Post

Sadly, I'm afraid nothing will change. The winner of Eesti Laul 2017 will be whoever is the "flavour of the month" in March.
    You were right, hopefully Estonians in 2018 will vote for the best song rather than the most popular artist.

Looking at Portugal's victory this year, I really believe Mick Pedaja would have made it into the top 5 in 2016.
    2017 Masterpieces: Belgium - Finland - Hungary