View Poll Results: How do you rate the entry?

Voters
228. You may not vote on this poll

50 21.93%

33 14.47%

23 10.09%

22 9.65%

26 11.40%

16 7.02%

10 4.39%

12 5.26%

13 5.70%

6 2.63%

17 7.46%
Page 202 of 202 FirstFirst ... 102152192198199200201202
Results 2,011 to 2,019 of 2019

Thread: GERMANY 2016 - Jamie-Lee Kriewitz - Ghost

GERMANY 2016 - Jamie-Lee Kriewitz - Ghost

Jamie-Lee Kriewitz - Ghost

Germany: Kool Savas wants to end Eurovision drought?

Jamie-Lee Kriewitz [kʁiːvɪt͡s] (born 18 March 1998) is a German singer who is best known for winning season five of The Voice of Germany. She will represent Germany at the Eurovision Song Contest 2016 on 14 May 2016 with the song "Ghost".

Kriewitz was born on 18 March 1998 in Bennigsen near Hanover, Germany. At the age of twelve, she joined the gospel choir Joyful Noise. Her father played the drums in German punk rock band 3Zylinder; however, the rest of her family is not musical. Kriewitz has a preference for the Japanese Decora kei fashion style[8] and for South Korean K-pop, with her favorites being the Korean boyband Block B. Generally fond of Korean culture, she originally intended to pursue a degree in Korean studies. Living vegan since 2012, Kriewitz participated in the "Vegan life is the best life" campaign of animal rights organization PETA.

In her Voice of Germany audition, she sang "The Hanging Tree", where all four coaches turned for Kriewitz. She also performed the song at the The Hunger Games: Mockingjay – Part 2 premiere in Berlin for Jennifer Lawrence. She chose to be on the team of Michi & Smudo. In the final she sang with British singer Jess Glynne as well as her solo single, "Ghost". She won the competition, getting 38% of the vote, ahead of second place Ayke Witt. She is the first teenager to win The Voice of Germany.She won Unser Lied für Stockholm, the German National Selection for Eurovision 2016 with her song "Ghost", after gaining 44.5% of the public votes in the second round.

Source: Wikipedia

2. Active Member
    United States

Re: GERMANY 2016 - Jamie-Lee Kriewitz - Ghost

Great Review @tourem! While I agree that this song can be seen as an OK song with a bland chorus, the biggest problem with Ghost (and Black Smoke from last year) is that it they're "headphone songs," meaning they truly stand out after a few listens and catch you when you hear it in the background or when listening to them via headphones while doing something. Hence, unfortunately, it doesn't catch the Eurovision audience at first listen. Like last year, I was pretty shocked that they placed last for the 2nd time in a row as I don't think it was deserved. While technically Black Smoke did worse than Ghost as it scored 0 points, if you implement the new system on 2015's scores, Germany actually did WORSE this year than in 2015 with 11 points vs. 29 points respectfully. While I did expect Germany doing poorly with the televoters, I was pretty appalled when the Jury gave only the song 1 point.

In terms of the staging, while they did better in matching the Asian theme style with Jamie's look in the Final than in the National Final, it still didn't connect with the dark tone of the song. I did like her very unique style it didn't match with the song's theme that well. As I said at an earlier post, if she was going to stay with her Japanese street fashion style, she could have went much, MUCH further by infusing Decora-kei with lolita fashion influences to better match the song's tone. Also, the staging could have been changed to be much more anime with a Japanese streetscape with holographic ghosts passing through the stage somewhat like Spirited Away. Something like this: Sure, it's over the top, but it could have made the song much more memorable. Actually, it's a missed opportunity tbh.

After these placing the past two years, I hope NDR learns and try harder in their selection next year. Best of luck in Ukraine guys!

3. Wizard
    Germany

Deserved last Place, but 11 Points are 11 Points too much..Ridiculous how she whined that the voting wasnt fair.

4. Wizard
    Germany

Re: GERMANY 2016 - Xavier Naidoo

Quote Originally Posted by JamieBrown View Post
    And now you will never see a popular artist participating for Germany. Not that I like Xavier Naidoo or agreed with his views, neither I think all that was said is true, but this decision is death sentence for Germany's ambitions. Not only this year, the next years will be like Germany: 0 points!
    So True. Cant believe how Germany could miss this huge chance.

5. Senior Member
    Austria

Re: GERMANY 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    As I said before, I am not a fan of Xavier Naidoo's music in any shape or form. I don't live in Germany so I wasn't aware of all the other stuff that was going on and his political believes. He really sounds like a dick so I can't say I'm sad about the broadcaster's decision to remove him. Would I have done it?!? Probably not, at least not for the criticism he received related to his music and lyrics. But the other crazy stuff he does and says, I'm glad that we don't have to worry about him making Germany look even worse at Eurovision.

To me, the biggest failure is the broadcaster. They continue to be clueless and arrogant and it's really pissing me off. They only listened to the fans and media cause it was such a dramatic backlash, even they couldn't ignore it. Otherwise, they would have naively stuck to their guns and probably caused even more damage. I truly think that everyone at the top should get kicked out and they need to come up with a competent team that knows what it's doing.

First they tease us with an elaborate NF system, similar to Melodifestivalen. Then they start talking to Xavier Naidoo and think "Hey you know what? He's famous here. And our four brain cells tell us that he'll be just as popular everywhere. So let's pretend nothing has happened and select him. Who needs a National Final anyway"?

Yes, the last couple of NF winning songs were a flop but it was the shittiest show in Europe. Two songs per artist but only some of the acts got to perform both songs? And then we split our votes between songs. It was too messy.

They are an embarrassment and I'm thrilled by the fact that they're in hot water. And they still arrogantly defend their decision. In your face, NDR and ARD.

Sorry, I'm done venting.

Xavier Naidoo may not be called an anti-Semite

The German singer Xavier Naidoo may not be called an anti-Semite after a court decision. The district court Regensburg today gave its injunction against a speaker of the Amadeu Antonio Foundation, which had called him at an event last year so. After the verdict, she is now forbidden to repeat that. Otherwise she is threatened with regulatory or regulatory imprisonment.

According to a spokesman, the court came to the conclusion that in this case Naidoo's personality rights outweigh the freedom of expression. In the process, the judges also examined controversial passages from songs of the singer. From the point of view of the court, Naidoo had conclusively stated that the texts had other messages, said the spokesman. Naidoo had come to Regensburg for the start of the process.

The singer has been controversial for years, he was repeatedly accused of right-wing populism in the past. The debates over his comments also cost him a planned appearance at the Eurovision Song Contest in 2016. In November 2015, NDR, responsible for the competition in Germany, withdrew Naidoo's previous nomination. The station justified this with the partly severely public criticism of the singer.

http://orf.at/stories/2447267/

https://www.lhr-law.de/magazin/medie...idoo-antisemit

I bet he would easily win a process about his so called right-wing opinions. He has a strange notion about the souveranity of Germany, but I don't get why this should be a right-wing opinion. It is just another conspiracy theory. And after the president's comments last week the theory seems to be debunked.

Whatever you may think about him as a person, this is still one of the best German songs ever:

6. Senior Member
    Germany

12 points - It was the right decision to not let Xavier Naidoo represent our country. He doesn't even recognize Germany as an independent country.
    Jamie's song was a well-produced and modern pop song with a catchy hook. Maybe it was too mid-tempo and her look might have been off-putting but tbh, it's my favourite German entry after the two Lena songs.
    #letKAZAKHSTANdebutfinally

7. Mentor
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Mainshow View Post
    12 points - It was the right decision to not let Xavier Naidoo represent our country. He doesn't even recognize Germany as an independent country.
    Jamie's song was a well-produced and modern pop song with a catchy hook. Maybe it was too mid-tempo and her look might have been off-putting but tbh, it's my favourite German entry after the two Lena songs.
    Agree. Actually didn't like it at the first listening, but the song grew on me. Probably thinking differently than others who hate this song, but Jamie had a great voice live, she stood out with her Manga-look and I still listen to the song now and then.
    Likes  Mainshow liked this post

“Where words leave off, music begins.” ― Heinrich Heine

8. Ninja
    Norway

I just personally don't get why this placed dead last
    Likes  Mainshow, mauve liked this post

9. Wizard
    Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Preuss View Post
    I just personally don't get why this placed dead last
    I dont know what should make people vote for it.
    Also most Juries had her around 18th-22th Place, which makes sense to me, so I think its an obvious lastplacer.
    And not to forget her outfit..
    00: LV | 01: GR | 02: LV | 03: TR | 04: UA | 05: CS | 06: FI | 07: BY | 08: IL |
    09: NO | 10: GE | 11: GR | 12: AZ | 13: AZ | 14: ES | 15: SE | 16: SE | 17: BG | 18: AT

10. Ninja
    Norway

Quote Originally Posted by Realest View Post
    I dont know what should make people vote for it.
    Also most Juries had her around 18th-22th Place, which makes sense to me, so I think its an obvious lastplacer.
    And not to forget her outfit..
    I liked the staging if I’m honest and think it was a solid effort.. ):