View Poll Results: Do you thing that the Latin countries (Brazil, Mexico, Colombia, etc..) should join in Eurovision (o

Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, The Latin countries will join in Eurovision (or Wordvision) in the future

11 30.56%
  • No, The Latin countries will not join in Eurovision (or Wordvision) in the future

24 66.67%
  • 50 - 50

1 2.78%
  • I don't know

0 0%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Latin America in Eurovision (or Wordvision)

1. Wizard
    Barbados

Re: Latin America in Eurovision (or Wordvision)

Australia is a one off. I don't want Argentina on the ESC stage, thank you.
    Likes  MyHeartIsYours liked this post

2. Legend
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by Sabiondo View Post
    But Australia isn't European at all in my eyes (Except by their European origin population & because it was colonized by your country), and if they will came to stay in EUROvision, why not the Latin countries too (Who we more close geographically to Europe than Australia)..?

Its fair since we have a close relationship with Spain (Our Motherland), Portugal and Italy, and Eurovision its telecast every year by their channels (TVE & RTP International) early in the Afternoon here in America. Also as i said before, Chile, Brazil and Cuba are non asociated EBU memnbers like , and i don't thing that EBU will refuse an petition from us to participate in any of both contest as guest, cause that i'm almost sure that will get support from , and some European countries..
    There are four countries in the world which can be termed "European" but, that are actually well away from the continent - Australia, New Zealand, the United States and Canada. If they ever got independence, you can add Quebec and Greenland to those two as well.

You're right that most Aussies can trace their origins back to Britain, and the vast majority of those who cant can instead do the same to Ireland and Italy. But for me it's more about cultural relations. There is very little cultural difference between Australia and Europe (in particular Britain and Ireland), whereas Latin America has always been a fusion of Spanish/Portuguese culture and Ameridian culture. Latin American culture has become very distinct from Spain/Portugal, whereas Australian culture - though with its many quirks - is broadly the same as any other culture in the Anglosphere. If there was a country which had an incredibly similar cultural identity to Spain, then I would support it joining Eurovision. But I dont believe there is.

There is international backing for this view too. Here are the regions of the world, as defined by the United Nations:

Australia, New Zealand, the United States, Canada and Greenland are all grouped with Western Europe, whereas Latin America is clearly divided from Latin Europe.
    Likes  Carrie liked this post

3. Legend
    France

@MyHeartIsYours

I don't see anything in this map that prevents South America from participating like Australia: Morocco is in blue, Israel is in green and Russia/Eastern European countries are all red. All of these have took part at least once and have ties with Europe some way or another. If blue, red and green is ok, then pink shouldn't be an issue
    Likes  Chorizo, Sabiondo liked this post

4. Legend
    UK

Quote Originally Posted by tuorem View Post
    @MyHeartIsYours

I don't see anything in this map that prevents South America from participating like Australia: Morocco is in blue, Israel is in green and Russia/Eastern European countries are all red. All of these have took part at least once and have ties with Europe some way or another. If blue, red and green is ok, then pink shouldn't be an issue
    - Eastern Europe is just as much "Europe" as Western Europe.
    - Morocco and Israel are full members of the EBU and so have the right to participate (but actually Israel is considered to be part of the Western European region anyway).

We are talking about countries which arent full EBU members and are outside the European continent here.

5. Wizard
    Russian Federation

Quote Originally Posted by MyHeartIsYours View Post
    There are four countries in the world which can be termed "European" but, that are actually well away from the continent - Australia, New Zealand, the United States and Canada. If they ever got independence, you can add Quebec and Greenland to those two as well.

You're right that most Aussies can trace their origins back to Britain, and the vast majority of those who cant can instead do the same to Ireland and Italy. But for me it's more about cultural relations. There is very little cultural difference between Australia and Europe (in particular Britain and Ireland), whereas Latin America has always been a fusion of Spanish/Portuguese culture and Ameridian culture. Latin American culture has become very distinct from Spain/Portugal, whereas Australian culture - though with its many quirks - is broadly the same as any other culture in the Anglosphere. If there was a country which had an incredibly similar cultural identity to Spain, then I would support it joining Eurovision. But I dont believe there is.

There is international backing for this view too. Here are the regions of the world, as defined by the United Nations:

Australia, New Zealand, the United States, Canada and Greenland are all grouped with Western Europe, whereas Latin America is clearly divided from Latin Europe.
    This a bullshit argument yours and i won't buy it. Spain & Portugal always have a close cultural identity to Latin America and its seems that you don't have any idea about it. We are not too distinct to Spanish/Portuguese except our different customs due the remoteness of our ancient metropolis. But some countries like Mexico, Argentina and Uruguay have similarities with the Spanish culture and their language.

The UN group map does not make any distinction on EUROvision than Geographic Location!
    Vist OGAE Rest of the World website: http://nimbleinity.com/DHtM

6. Legend
    UK

This a bullshit argument yours and i won't buy it. Spain & Portugal always have a close cultural identity to Latin America and its seems that you don't have any idea about it. We are not too distinct to Spanish/Portuguese except our different customs due the remoteness of our ancient metropolis. But some countries like Mexico, Argentina and Uruguay have similarities with the Spanish culture and their language.

The UN group map does not make any distinction on EUROvision than Geographic Location!
    May I ask why you bothered to make a thread if you refer to alternative ideas to yours as "bullshit arguments"? I thought the very idea of a thread was for people to give their varying opinions, not just agree with you...

I never said that Latin America doesnt have similarities with Spain and Portugal, but those similarities have become too weak over time to warrant inclusion in a European contest.

7. Enthusiast
    Turkey

Turkey, Western European? WE did it boys.
    Likes  Sabiondo, Franco, Gera11 liked this post

8. Legend
    France

Quote Originally Posted by Marcos View Post
    Turkey, Western European? WE did it boys.
    See? , I fail to see obvious culture similarities between Australia, Turkey and Finland, but whatever!

- Eastern Europe is just as much "Europe" as Western Europe.
    - Morocco and Israel are full members of the EBU and so have the right to participate (but actually Israel is considered to be part of the Western European region anyway).

We are talking about countries which arent full EBU members and are outside the European continent here.
    Yes, that's why I meant, this map isn't really appropriate when it comes to Eurovision.
    Australia is an associated member of the EBU and is outside the European continent, and so are Brazil, Chile and Cuba in Latin America.
    I've read somewhere on the forum one of their spokesperson already noticed Canada, China and South Africa's interest in the contest and tried to know what to do with them in the future, so provided there is some interest in other associated members, everything's possible now.

By the way, Georgia is not even a full EBU member, I didn't know that

9. Veteran
    Greece

Australia was watching ESC through BBC for over 20 years (From 1983 until 2003), then SBS began broadcasting the contest alone and in 2008 sent his first commentators

But TVE & RTP has almost 20 years telecasting live the contest for all Latin American countries via tv Cable, and many people awaits every Saturday afternoon to watch Eurovision for cheering the Spanish, Portuguese and now Italian songs (Our biggest European diaspora population living here), and even we have a precedent in 1979 with the Peruvian born, Betty Missiego.

I know that almost none of our public tv Channels are interested to take part yet, but will be a matter of time that with the flourishing ESC interest here, one of them applies as EBU non associated member and send their own commentators as did.
    So, if any latin country is interested, it's ok for me, as guest country at the moment.
    My opinion for Eurovision the upcoming years is to accept each year one guest country from the rest of the world.
    This year Australia, next year Canada or Kazakstan? So why not latin american countries
    Likes  Sabiondo liked this post

10. Veteran
    Greece

Some people can't undestand that in the same way Australia-New Zealand-Canada-USA are connected with UK,
    Latin American countries are connected with Spain & Portugal.
    Likes  Sabiondo, tuorem, ParadiseES, cegs5, Gera11 liked this post

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast